2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hi, I'm a new member =)

I recently bought grade 9 Royal Conservatory piano books (Celebration Series Perspectives). The Celebration Series books seem to have been redone recently, as the cover of the book is much different than my grade 1-8 books. I know that Waltz in C# Minor by Chopin is a grade 9 piece, however it is not included in the book. I remember my old piano teacher telling me I should play the piece when I got to grade 9, and he never said it was in a different book. So I was just wondering whether it was left out of the new edition, or if it was never included in the Celebration Series books. Or I could have the grade wrong as well. Any comments or answers are appreciated!! Also, the new book design is rather awkward. They have square spines, so it's hard to keep them open. Just as a side note =) Thanks!

~SnOoPy
-----------------------------------------------------
"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!"
- Professor Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
The Waltz in C-sharp minor (Op. 64, No. 2) is still a Grade 9 piece. Keep in mind that the Celebration Series of books for each grade contains only a few of the approved examination pieces in each category. For Grade 9 in the Lists A, B, C, and D there are a total of over 200 pieces among which one can choose for the exam - yes, I counted them.

It's not surprising that the publishers will change the selections in this series from time to time, but rest assured that the C-sharp minor Waltz is still a Grade 9 piece; it's in the new Piano Syllabus for Grade 9. RCM may feel that many students use these books for examination preparation, and they may be sympathetic to the examiners by changing the selections that examiners will have to listen to from time to tim. You just may have to buy it in an edition of Chopin works, or in an edition of the Chopin Waltzes. I am sure that you will find that there are many sources for this Waltz.

Regards,

Last edited by BruceD; 03/01/09 09:54 PM.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
M
BruceD, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, because I always was stupid enough to think that the accepted repertoire was just restricted to those in the celebration series.

Does anyone know where I can see all of the approved repertoire in Grades 9 and 10 without getting the syllabus book?

PLEASE HELP!!!!! or even mentioning some that you know of thats not in the celebration books would be appreciated.

"Why do you play your octaves so fast?" -reporter "Because I can!" -Horowitz

"Those that have achieved all their goals probably aimed them too low"
- Karajan
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you BruceD, I did know there were other pieces, my teacher just never said anything about it being in a different book. I'll have to go and find a book with the piece then =)

~SnOoPy
-----------------------------------------------------
"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!"
- Professor Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by mephistopheles
BruceD, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, because I always was stupid enough to think that the accepted repertoire was just restricted to those in the celebration series.

Does anyone know where I can see all of the approved repertoire in Grades 9 and 10 without getting the syllabus book?

PLEASE HELP!!!!! or even mentioning some that you know of thats not in the celebration books would be appreciated.

I believe that there is no other source for the complete list of examination repertoire than the current syllabus. I know that RCM does not publish the syllabus online.

If you have a teacher and your teacher is preparing students for the RCM examinations, then it should be a given that s/he has the syllabus. Otherwise, you may have to buy it at $19.95. It's available from The Frederick Harris Music Co., and most Canadian stores that sell classical music should have it or can get it for you.

Regards,

Last edited by BruceD; 03/02/09 11:03 AM.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission