2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1957, bcalvanese, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,377 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rov Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi, does anyone know how do the great pianists practice??. Do they just practice their pieces slowly? or do they use rhythmic patterns?. does anyone know?. thanks

Piamo
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
As promised wink , here's my reply:
Look up www.pianostreet.com and type 'How did great pianists practice?' in the white search box on the top right. You'll get a long thread of lots of interesting facts......

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
a lot, and focussed.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rov
Hi, does anyone know how do the great pianists practice??. Do they just practice their pieces slowly? or do they use rhythmic patterns?. does anyone know?. thanks
Last summer at piano camp, one of the instructors who had been a student at the Peabody Institute, described hearing someone playing one the grand pianos very beautifully but painfully slowly. She could not see who it was but her friend said, "Do you know who that is? That's Murray Perahia!" I once read something similar about Rachmaninoff. I consider my own teacher to be a great pianist and he practices slowly when needed and definitely recommends patterns.

Best regards,

Deborah
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Richter:

What he said: 3 hours a day, at tempo most of the time, learning one page at a time.

In reality: far more than 3 hours per day, often after concerts, very slowly, and learning one page at a time.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I heard Richard Goode practice once. I swear he stayed on one passage for an hour... Maybe 8 bars long. Just a bit under tempo.

You have to find what works best for you, you have to KNOW what works best for you.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
M
M
I've heard some of them brag a bit about how little they practice, though I think that's showboating a bit and it sometimes annoys me when I hear them say that. I'm always sort of intrigued when I see Martha Argerich in interviews because she seems so flighty and a bit scattered. I was watching one where she was rambling on about being late to a performance and how she'd learned Tchaikovsky's first concerto (I think it was) in two weeks because she always waits til the last minute. Jascha Heifetz said he didn't practice more than two hours (which I think was also untrue). I read an interview that said he likes to wander around taking photographs instead of practicing for hours on end. I think perhaps they say that to show off that it comes so naturally to them and that their skill is something intrinsic rather than the result of hard work. The deceptive bit is, however intrinsically gifted they are, at some point or another they put in a lot of grueling work in to get where they were.

I bet their practice methods vary from person to person, but across the board I think the approach is one of intense focus. In the book the Mastery of Music, the author interviewed a lot of great modern musicians (Joshua Bell, Yo Yo Ma) and several of them mentioned that they practice at painstakingly slow tempos. One mentioned that he listens for "the space between notes" and tries to get rid of all the fuzz and extraneous material. It's a bit like Rodin or whoever who said he created those great scultures by just carving away the bits that weren't the Thinker. It's an interesting read if you really want to comb through some different virtuoso musicians' thought processes.

Last edited by mermilylumpkin; 03/29/13 08:35 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Intelligently.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Shura Cherkassky - VERY slowly. About one note per second. Always making sure his finger is in the centre of the key. (Rachmaninoff did this as well)

Mischa Dichter - 8 to 12 hours a day.. up to tempo but always in small "impulse" groups.

Stephen Hough - finger work different rhythmic patterns. 30% of his practice time spent on pedal and coloristic effects.

Boris Berman - never in rhythms, just under tempo.

Ricther - same passage, at tempo, 100 or 200 times in a row.

David Bar-Illan - "Silent Practice" - SO slowly that the key goes down but no sound comes out.

Ruth Slyencska - 90% with the metronome, increasing speed one notch at a time.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Opus_Maximus
Shura Cherkassky - VERY slowly. About one note per second. Always making sure his finger is in the centre of the key. (Rachmaninoff did this as well)

Mischa Dichter - 8 to 12 hours a day.. up to tempo but always in small "impulse" groups.

Stephen Hough - finger work different rhythmic patterns. 30% of his practice time spent on pedal and coloristic effects.

Boris Berman - never in rhythms, just under tempo.

Ricther - same passage, at tempo, 100 or 200 times in a row.

David Bar-Illan - "Silent Practice" - SO slowly that the key goes down but no sound comes out.

Ruth Slyencska - 90% with the metronome, increasing speed one notch at a time.

Hmmmm......I knew I've been doing something wrong all these years !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
They practice in the way that works best for them and gets them their desired results. If you aren't getting yours, and assuming you already have good technique, change the way you practice. Eventually, you will find the right formula.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Opus_Maximus

Mischa Dichter - 8 to 12 hours a day...

Well that's certainly his business, but 8 to 12 hours? That seems a bit excessive to me.

When Busoni was touring he once wrote to his wife that he heard a pianist practise a passage from the Liszt A major Concerto all night. He simply inquired: 'is that talent?'

Jason
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
just the quote I was thinking of, Deborah shocked

such threads are fun when you keep handy a big list of quotes

Originally Posted by Abram Chasins
Rachmaninov was a dedicated and driven perfectionist. He worked incessantly, with infinite patience. Once I had an appointment to spend an afternoon with him in Hollywood. Arriving at the designated hour of twelve, I heard an occasional piano sound as I approached the cottage. I stood outside the door, unable to believe my ears. Rachmaninov was practising Chopin’s etude in thirds, but at such a snail’s pace that it took me a while to recognise it be- cause so much time elapsed between one finger stroke and the next. Fascinated, I clocked this re- markable exhibition: twenty seconds per bar was his pace for almost an hour while I waited riveted to the spot, quite unable to ring the bell. Perhaps this way of developing and maintaining an unerring mechanism accounted for his bitter sarcasm toward colleagues who practised their programmes ‘once over lightly’ between concerts.

Originally Posted by Claude Frank
There is absolutely no substitute for slow practice. Let me embellish this by saying that, ninety-nine times out of a hundred, this slow practice should be very musical. There are very few instances in which slow mechanical practice is beneficial. Musical slow practice is the key

Originally Posted by Dr. Clay Hyght
When it comes to training (and life in general for that matter), many people erroneously think that all you have to do to succeed is work hard. Unfortunately, this isn't true. You have to work intelligently.

Originally Posted by Arthur Rubinstein
I was born very, very lazy and I don’t always practice very long,” he said, “but I must say, in my defense, that it is not so good, in a musical way, to overpractice. When you do, the music seems to come out of your pocket. If you play with a feeling of ‘Oh, I know this,’ you play without that little drop of fresh blood that is necessary – and the audience feels it. At every concert I leave a lot to the moment. I must have the unexpected, the unforeseen. I want to risk, to dare. I want to be surprised by what comes out. I want to enjoy it more than the audience. That way the music can bloom anew. It’s like making love. The act is always the same, but each time it’s different.

every day (Rubinstein had a similar - and funny - quote I enjoyed that included his wife)
Originally Posted by Jan Paderewski
If I don’t practice for one day, I know it… two days, the critics know it… three days, the audience knows it.

Originally Posted by Ernest Dras
The elder Mozart would place ten dried peas in his son’s left coat pocket, and for each successful attempt at a difficult passage, Mozart would move a single pea to his right pocket. When he failed on any piece, even if it was the tenth repetition, all the peas had to be placed back in his left pocket — Wolfgang had to begin anew. What usually happens when using this method is that the student slows down his tempo in order to play the passage perfectly.

Originally Posted by malkin
Over-practicing with errors is like trying to stack bricks by throwing them from ten feet away. You'll end up with a pile and tired arms, but never a stack of bricks.

Originally Posted by Franz Liszt
The first time you play a piece be extremely careful not to make mistakes with notes or rhythms. Think 10 times and play once

Originally Posted by Robert Schumann
Always play as though a master were present

Originally Posted by Stephen Heller
It is better to play slowly and accurately than play too fast early on. You don't want to develop bad habits - that's not productive practice.Practise very slowly; progress very fast

P
P
What about visualization, mental practising ? I'm surprised no one ever talk about that. I'd have thought it was quite common amongst famous professional musicians.
I'm under the impression that it's more common in the organ world (of which I know very little, I've just discussed a few times with the organ teacher at my conservatory).

In his book "Practising the piano", Franck Marrick mentions it.

B
B
Thomas Edison: "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration".

Many amateur (and even professional) musicians believe that the astounding technique of some of the virtuosi they hear is God-given (or genetic, for atheists like me wink ).
But the reality is that what separates a pianist with a virtuoso technique from one with a mediocre technique is the amount of hours they put into practising. I read a study some years ago on teenage musicians which found that those who won prizes and got into conservatoires were the ones who practised a lot more, and more consistently (like everyday, not just 5 days/week etc).

Of course, you still need talent to make it to the top. But talent alone won't get you there. And those who made it to the top can still falter: Walter Gieseking was famous for relying on his talent rather than practising, but you can hear the results even in his studio recordings (Debussy and Ravel, for instance). Ditto for Alfred Cortot.

And to take one recent example: Benjamin Grosvenor was, until 8 or 9, just another talented young pianist. Then he realized that his peers were playing better than him, and decided to really practise properly - 4 hours/day or more. Coupled with his innate musicianship, within a few years, he came to the attention of the musical cognoscenti, but even when he won the piano section of the BBC competition at 11, his technique was still inferior to those of some of the other (older) piano finalists, and not in the virtuoso class, unlike the typical Russian or Chinese prodigy at the same age. It was his practising that allowed him to become a virtuoso, and play the Liszt Sonata and Ravel's Gaspard within just another few years, and thus ensured that he wasn't yet another of those (alas, all-too-common) British pianists known principally for their 'musicianship' (often an euphemism for 'inability to play really difficult repertoire'), but a virtuoso pianist who is up there with the best in the world, just as happy in Liszt as in Bach.

If music be the food of love, play on!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not a professional pianist, but I studied music, and my piano teacher at university taught me the following:

When you have a difficult passage, practise it with a metronome, verrrry slowly. When you can play it, gradually increase the tempo.

My first piano teacher taught me to first learn each hand separately, and only when I master each hand well, combine them.

Maybe using a combination of both techniques is not a bad idea.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
Online Content
Originally Posted by bennevis
Many amateur (and even professional) musicians believe that the astounding technique of some of the virtuosi they hear is God-given (or genetic, for atheists like me wink ).But the reality is that what separates a pianist with a virtuoso technique from one with a mediocre technique is the amount of hours they put into practising. I read a study some years ago on teenage musicians which found that those who won prizes and got into conservatoires were the ones who practised a lot more, and more consistently (like everyday, not just 5 days/week etc).
There's a huge difference between saying a lot of practicing is necessary to be a great pianist and saying it is sufficient. A study like the one you mention only says it is necessary, which very few deny. It's totally debatable whether it's sufficient and my strong view is it's not sufficient.

And to take one recent example: Benjamin Grosvenor was, until 8 or 9, just another talented young pianist. Then he realized that his peers were playing better than him, and decided to really practise properly - 4 hours/day or more. Coupled with his innate musicianship, within a few years, he came to the attention of the musical cognoscenti, but even when he won the piano section of the BBC competition at 11, his technique was still inferior to those of some of the other (older) piano finalists, and not in the virtuoso class, unlike the typical Russian or Chinese prodigy at the same age. It was his practising that allowed him to become a virtuoso, and play the Liszt Sonata and Ravel's Gaspard within just another few years, and thus ensured that he wasn't yet another of those (alas, all-too-common) British pianists known principally for their 'musicianship' (often an euphemism for 'inability to play really difficult repertoire'), but a virtuoso pianist who is up there with the best in the world, just as happy in Liszt as in Bach.
There's no way of knowing whether his practicing was the main reason his technique improved as opposed to his natural ability. His technique, if it was inferior to older pianists in the competition when he was 12, could simply have been so since he was younger and had less time to practice it. Trying to assign some percentage to talent and practice fruitless. It was his great musical qualities(which I think are less teachable) beyond technique that made him such a great pianist at such a young age.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/30/13 11:30 AM.
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I totally agree that very slow practice is an absolute necessity when the piece of music is new to you. I spend 90% of my time in this mode because I'm always playing something new.

But I find it hard to believe that a top classical pianist needs to practice at glacially slow tempi the repertoire they have had ingrained for 20 or 30 years. Yes, if you haven't touched a particular piece in a couple of years, you might slow it down SOME.

I mean, come on, the accumulation of experience must account for something!

Last edited by RealPlayer; 03/30/13 12:00 PM.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
There's no way of knowing whether his practicing was the main reason his technique improved as opposed to his natural ability. His technique, if it was inferior to older pianists in the competition when he was 12, could simply have been so since he was younger and had less time to practice it. Trying to assign some percentage to talent and practice fruitless. It was his great musical qualities(which I think are less teachable) beyond technique that made him such a great pianist at such a young age. [/quote]

Heinrihch Neuhaus told: The musical development SHOULD GO AHEAD of technical development, or at the same level if possible.

So that he was TECHNICALLY a little bit later says notghing. Dudes, they are kinds. They are growing. Their body is changing each day. So we cannot be sure about him, but having a big musicality, technique is just matter of practice. It doesn't work opposite way.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bobpickle
such threads are fun when you keep handy a big list of quotes

Thank you! That was a wonderful collection!

Best regards,

Deborah

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission