2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, 3 invisible), 1,334 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2049986 03/17/13 11:55 PM
L
Lingyis Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
i had a another thread on the strauss sonata which to understate a little not my most-often-listened-to piece of music. i'll probably have a good violinist to play with every now and then, i wonder what favorite violin sonatas pianists have? i've played a few violin sonatas:

- the baby mozart violin sonata (the 1st "mature" mozart violin sonata beginner violinists always play)
- spring, kreutzer, and the last one. i like the 7th one too.
- one of the griegs, think the last one
- prokofiev's op 80

but i don't think i really have a "favorite one" the same way i have a favorite violin concerto, or piano trio, and so on.

what are the violin sonatas you guys have enjoyed the most?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My favorites:

Beethoven Spring and Kreutzer
Schumann #2
Brahms #1 and #3
Franck
Strauss
Corigliano
Enesco #3

Of those, the only one I haven't played yet is Brahms 1 - still trying to find a violinist to play it with me. frown

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
L
Lingyis Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
great list. i'll slowly go over those pieces. the brahms no. 1 seems like a beautiful piece.

i just found out about ravel's violin sonata (no 2, i think, the one with Blues in it). what an incredible piece! 3rd movement looks hard, or at least exhausting, for the violinist though.

Beethoven "Spring"

Mozart, a whole bunch: both Bb majors (K. 378, K. 454), E minor, F major (376), A major (305), Eb major (380), G major (379)
The violin sonatas are among my favorite sets of Mozart's works, even giving the piano concerti and symphonies a run for their money.

Schubert Sonatinas in D major and A minor (probably because they were the first piano-violin duets I ever did seriously)

....and Franck, absolutely.
Just forgot to mention it. I think I have a mental block against the piece because I had an LP with an arrangement of the piece for piano and cello, and it was fine, but I lent out the LP and never got it back. ha

Last edited by Mark_C; 03/18/13 04:48 AM.
B
B
My long-standing favorites are Franck's Violin Sonata and Beethoven's 'Spring' and 'Kreutzer' Sonatas.

Then I also discovered Fauré's lovely Violin Sonata No.1, and when a friend asked me to partner him in Mozart's Violin Sonata in E minor, K 304, I found it to be a profoundly moving and beautiful piece, with a typically Mozartian ambiguity of smiling through tears. Mark Steinberg & Mitsuko Uchida's recording of it is truly stunning.

And last but not least, just remembered Saint-Saëns's Violin Sonata No.1, with its highly virtuosic moto perpetuo finale following a wistful slow movement.

Last edited by bennevis; 03/18/13 10:29 AM.

If music be the food of love, play on!
E
E
Brahms G Major!! smile

Pianist
Private Piano Teacher
A
A
Hey, no fair. Brahms 2 deserves some credit. That melody!

Agree with all of the above. Also, Grieg 3. And I highly recommend checking out Guillaume Lekeu's violin sonata. It's very beautiful, and sadly underplayed. Try getting your violinist to do it. Mine wanted to do do Brahms instead. tired

Schumann Carnaval, Op.9
Debussy Prelude Book 1, No.6 and No. 7
Bach WTC1 Prelude and Fugue No. 1 in C Major

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Am I the only one who hates the Spring sonata here? (well, not 'hates', of course.. but much prefer any of the other ones, especially 7)

Definitely Prokofiev n.1 - I love playing that piece, it's magnificent and runs very deep... there is just SO much in there, emotionally and in thematic material, and I love the sort of cyclic form, the end is very powerful.

Debussy will also always have a special place in my heart. I love all the Brahms too, and Franck especially.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
The Reinecke is nice. I also heard it with a flute player, which worked well.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Surprised no one has mentioned the Saint-Saëns D minor, a worthy piece to set beside the Franck. The Fauré sonata mentioned above almost approaches the Franck, though I once had the distressing experience of hearing it on the radio played on flute! One cannot fault flutists for wanting to adopt it, but it was rather jarring to hear the piercing eloquence of the last movement reduced to a quasi-carnival act.

Definitely Prokofiev n.1 - I love playing that piece, it's magnificent and runs very deep...

Absolutely, one of his great masterpieces. I played the 2nd sonata with a flutist (have not done it with a violinist), and it works splendidly. Very athletic 4th movement!

The Reinecke is nice. I also heard it with a flute player, which worked well.

I know Reinecke wrote a violin sonata, though I have not heard it. But I suspect here you're talking about Sonata Undine, originally written for flute, and one of his more popular works.

Jason
B
B
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Surprised no one has mentioned the Saint-Saëns D minor, a worthy piece to set beside the Franck.

I remembered the Saint-Saëns almost at the same time you posted this grin.

Not surprising it tends to be forgotten in this context - among French (or Belgian....) violin sonatas, I must have heard the Franck at least 100 times live (in concert or on radio), but the Saint-Saëns just once. (The Lekeu also once.) And the Debussy at least 30 times, the Fauré maybe 15 times. Yet as a virtuoso (as well as melodic) vehicle, the Saint-Saëns can hardly be bettered.

The one time I heard it live (a BBC Lunchtime Concert many years ago), it was due to be performed first, followed by the Franck to finish. The performers - Pierre Amoyal and Pascal Rogé - decided to switch them around at the last minute, and no wonder.....the house was brought down as the (then) young musicians hurled themselves at the finale at an almost impossibly reckless pace, yet just about stayed together.....

If music be the food of love, play on!
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Am I the only one who hates the Spring sonata here?....

I can see why you would. ha

A couple of reasons -- it's 'so sweet' (the 1st mvt), and (mainly) familiarity? For me, those are the reasons I love it so much but I can see that eventually it could turn. It's familiar enough to be greatly beloved, but not yet to the point of "OK, get outta here." grin

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Franck for me.

Regards,

Polyphonist
E
E
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Am I the only one who hates the Spring sonata here? (well, not 'hates', of course.. but much prefer any of the other ones, especially 7)

Spring is not my favourite either. I quite like number 4! smile

Pianist
Private Piano Teacher
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm with emily - Beethoven 4 is one of my favourites and I really dislike the Spring sonata. I'm hoping some day I'll get to play Prokofiev #1, but for now, I'll continue liking my recital rep (for this Saturday) of Beethoven #8, Debussy and Prokofiev #2 smile

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Originally Posted by Arghhh
....and I really dislike the Spring sonata....

ARGHHH! ha

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Arghhh
....and I really dislike the Spring sonata....

ARGHHH! ha

Stabbed. The only Beethoven piano & violin sonata I have professionally performed.

It was a wonderful experience for me as a young uni student. Learning it was so exciting...

But I seem to have blindly hastened into jaded territories, the outskirts of Beethoven's genius, the fallen crumbs, the distant planet to Beethoven's Op 47 or 96.

crazy

Jason
Originally Posted by argerichfan
...But I seem to have blindly hastened into jaded territories, the outskirts of Beethoven's genius, the fallen crumbs, the distant planet to Beethoven's Op 47 or 96.
crazy

ha

I wouldn't say so. IMO more like it was one of the few moments when he was feeling almost normal. grin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The first time I heard the "spring" sonata, it was on the radio. Having missed the programmer's introduction, I played "guess the composer," and decided it was some lesser contemporary of Beethoven, trying to emulate the master but without much success. Then he had the gall to borrow and adapt the rondo theme from op. 22 for the 4th movement.

Since then I've tried to listen to the sonata more receptively, but can't shake that first impression.

Originally Posted by Ferdinand
....Then he had the gall to borrow and adapt the rondo theme from op. 22 for the 4th movement....

Interesting, I suppose. smile
But, FWIW, I've played both movements many times, and despite my tending to see similarities even where there aren't any grin ....nothing like that ever occurred to me. I don't think they're any more similar than billions of other things that hardly anyone would ever connect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission