2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, 9 invisible), 1,393 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#508770 08/05/01 08:59 PM
A
Amy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I am a junior and I am starting to prepare for my college auditions. I am planning on playing the Mozart sonata in a minor. The other songs that I am thinking of playing are Ginastera- Argentinian Dances, Liszt-Un sospiro, Debussy- Reflections in the water. Do these pieces sound like they would be acceptable for a college audition? I still need a Bach piece. Does anyone have any suggestions for one?

-Amy-
*Visit my page! http://www.expage.com/pianopalace
#508771 08/05/01 10:01 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That seems quite fine for most college music departments/schools. On the other hand, a private conservatory typically has some pre-set audition requirements. Contact music departments at the schools you're thinking about, they'll be happy to give you the information you need. You should also work closely with your piano teacher. Finally, you should take care not to refer to pieces as songs --especially at your audition. smile

As for Bach, a prelude/fugue --or one of the French/English Suites or a Partita--should do nicely. A typical conservatory audition is usually fleshed out with a sonata by Mozart or Beethoven; a larger Romantic work (such as a Chopin scherzo, ballade or a few of the etudes) and, finally, something 20th century such as Prokovieff's Toccata --or the Debussy you've mentioned.

[ August 05, 2001: Message edited by: netizen ]

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
#508772 08/05/01 10:26 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Sometimes there is a technique jury at a school, with an entrance requirement of playing scales and arpeggios at a certain metronome marking. If there is such a requirement, make sure to inquire about how many octaves are required for each scale or arpeggio (usually, it's four), and which forms of minor should be played (sometimes they want to hear pure and melodic in addition to harmonic minor and plain ol' major for each key--BLAAAAAAAH!).

Don't let this scare you--just find out! There could be a theory placement test, also.

[ August 05, 2001: Message edited by: MacDuff ]

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission