2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1922172 07/03/12 11:48 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi, New here and as of this moment, still without a piano.

I am wanting to take up playing piano at a now medium?? age and have a few options I am already considering. Most pressing would be a group setting privided free from a piano store with the purchase of a piano. They say they utilize a "chord" method of teaching for us older folks. I personly think they accurately stereotype me correctly - want to get up and running quickly without asperations of proffesional greatness. Is this the wrong foot to get started with and as such would take a lot of reprogramming to correct?

Next would be a private setting at a Community College, I am considering also taking a Music 101 class and perhaps could do lessons after the class.

Lastly, private lessons in my neighborhood from a teacher recommended. I was considering her for my children. She says she teaches "classical style" to younger students. I dont know if she approaches adults differently.

What are the pros and cons of the different playing methods for adults and for children.

THanks

Hello bajabill, and welcome to the forum!
In my experience, the free lessons at the piano store won't probably amount to much, but the "chord method" will at least get you headed in the right direction.
Unless you are looking to play classical music, avoid the classical style teacher. You'll want a teacher that will help you focus on what YOU want to learn, and not necessarily what she wants you to learn.
Classes at the local college can be helpful with music theory, and some foundational basics.
If I can help at all, please let me know!

Piano lessons in Binghamton, Vestal, Endicott, and other areas of upstate NY. Specializing in homeschool piano lessons.
www.binghamtonpianolessons.com
Member: MTNA, NYSMTA

White Rabbit - 60's, 70's & 80's classic rock, southern rock and blues rock band - Binghamton, NY.
www.thewhiterabbitband.com
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i might take a group class to start.

I do not like teaching the chord method. It is invaluable to learn how to read notation.. then you can play and understand chords anyway.

I have an older student and she is very stubborn. She still greatly enjoys the lessons and learns right along. I really wish i hadn't started her out with chord book. She won't abandon it even tho it sometimes makes no sense whatsoever, and skips big blocks of information. I would tell you the name of the book she is using but she has it and is down at the lake for the summer. MAybe you could visit with a couple teachers or a music store and see what they recommend... get an idea of what might appeal to you.

Personally, (and i think many would disagree with me - it's kind of out of favor) I really love the Suzuki method. It is logical.. it gives you audio cds so you can listen to the music as you learn it. It presents the music in such a perfect order. no surprises.

You could buy a beginners book and see if you understand it.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
P
P
What, exactly, does your Music 101 class cover in your area? There are different standards. You should find one that is the same as an Elements of Music Theory/Beginning Music Theory/etc type of class.

Also, community colleges usually have group classes that would be much better than a couple of free ones from a piano store. You can start with group and then go into private, or do both at the same time (extra practice, ensemble work, performance opportunities).

And, of course, private lessons are always the best way, but as mentioned, make sure the teacher is willing to work on what you want to learn, not just what they want to teach. It depends on your interests.

B
OP Offline
B
Just got back from the store, money still in my pocket!!

One of the teachers explained some of the basics to me, I can see the merits of simplifying the notation for the left hand data. She says she prefers knowing the classical method as well is good for adults, but thinks the chord method helps get up and running sooner. I dont want to go with the complete DIY method, I think progress will not be sufficient to keep me interested.

I know the store lessons are going to get me thru the early stages only but that can be about $20 a week. If it gets me thru 6 months or till I know more what I like or dont, it will be a good purchasing perk - probable better than a cheap pair of headphones offered by some sellers.

B
OP Offline
B
quote=Para Otras]What, exactly, does your Music 101 class cover in your area? There are different standards. You should find one that is the same as an Elements of Music Theory/Beginning Music Theory/etc type of class.

Also, community colleges usually have group classes that would be much better than a couple of free ones from a piano store. You can start with group and then go into private, or do both at the same time (extra practice, ensemble work, performance opportunities).

And, of course, private lessons are always the best way, but as mentioned, make sure the teacher is willing to work on what you want to learn, not just what they want to teach. It depends on your interests.[/quote]

A younger saleman at the store said he took the Music 101 course I was considering and confirmed it is probaly less technical than I want. I was thinking that the music theory course they also have would be more interesting, but would need to get department approval to bypass the prerequisite. I am watching the online Yale music course now.[

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission