2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Explore 3 of the hippest systems for developing your ears! This class focuses on developing the ability of the inner ear to hear multiple notes, intervals and tonal/chord colors. Any musician in any genre can benefit from the clear practices presented on this unique video. Dave opens the video, the 20th in his online series, with a new performance, "Peace in the Kingdom".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzegfvnMFHs

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Dave, isn't this spam? Shouldn't you be buying an ad or something?

While it's nice that you have a course you think is good for this subject, I'm not convinced you know anything useful about the subject, or can teach it well.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by laguna_greg

While it's nice that you have a course you think is good for this subject, I'm not convinced you know anything useful about the subject, or can teach it well.

I just listened to the clip. If you want spoon-feeding, then it's not the right thing. But as an overview of three ear training systems, I thought it was well organized and clearly presented - enough to give a starting point for an independent learner who may already have at least some background. What I liked especially was the way of meshing the three elements: ear, keys, theory - into one unit - and also that ear was active (voice) and not just passive.

I understand that this is for jazz, by-ear playing, improvisation. My background is mostly classical and written music though I'm not entirely dependent on scores. I'm interested in developing the other side, and saw some useful things in the presentation.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Hi Dave, isn't this spam? Shouldn't you be buying an ad or something?

(1) I think if Dave were using this alone to sell a product one might call it spam. However, he isn't. Dave is sharing freely techniques and wisdom of his own and from other great musicians so that anyone with an internet connection can enrich their lives.

(2) I am, and yes he can.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It is a weird subject to be honest (the spam issue).

It does appear that Dave is mostly taking part in these forums by posting his links to youtube lessons that he creates. HOWEVER there's almost nothing commercial in the back of this action, unless you take into account that someone may enjoy his lessons so much that he'd want to start learning with Dave. Otherwise nothing else.

So in this case I'd say that there's nothing wrong with that.

But I do have an issue with my own works and Editions Musica Ferrum.

As a lot here know I now own a music publishing house and recently I published a somewhat large number of piano works. With youtube videos and the such (the score shown, etc).

So here lies the problem: I think I'm an active member of this forum and I try to offer as much as possible (without this meaning that I expect something in return). Yet behind MY youtube videos there IS a product, so technically my postings about a new youtube video would be more spamy than what Dave is doing...

Yet, the problem grows even more complicated. Here in Pianoworld, we're very accustomed to discussing various editions (heck, there's at least 2 recent threads about Henle), composers who are still alive, or withing copyrights, etc.

I think that this line is delicate and quite thin. I try to keep commercial postings to a minimum (with the exception of 'piano stories' which is gathering some attention and I want to share it between friends) and I do hope that one thread pre a few months is not hurtful...

Comments please?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I always like hearing about your exploits too Nikolas! Although it is in a way commercial, I also think within the context (like that you do contribute to the forum), it should be OK.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I've only gone as far as the Lennie method, then tried it and it works! I had never realized this before. You focus on a note, but without singing it, and you hear it clearer.

Dave, I had gone through reams of those chord exercises in JOI and I don't think I ever got the point. Maybe you have to start with two notes before a chord will make sense like that? Anyway, thanks for posting.

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
there are degrees of hearing. The ear training exercises open your ears to a different level for sure)

DF

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I don't know what the forum rule is. But as a user, I'm happy to hear about paid stuff from anyone who is a genuine contributor. It's just the people who pop on with little else to offer other than marketing that are annoying. I enjoy the posts by Dave Frank and Nikolas and am happy to see what their commercial product is, as well, because they are both genuine contributors around here.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
There is a distinction between the people who use this platform solely for promotion purpose, commercial or not, and who genuinely participate and happen to have something relevant to share, commercial or not.

Nikolas, even though there were some commercial components in some of your posts, your contribution to the forum has paid the due and then some. So far not a single post from you disturbed me.

I am also fine with Dave's post as it is relevant, but hope this is the beginning of his participation, instead of just a part of cross posting to a dozen different forums only to attract people away for the forums.

Sorry Dave, I shouldn't discuss you in the third person form, welcome to the forum (if you are still here).

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P

Greg, what is your basis for saying this?

Dave, I am trying out the Lennie method -- thank you for the video. So far I have found out that I can't distinguish well enough to sing the two notes on a minor second and a major second, but after some practice I think I can hear them for minor third and above. (For the seconds I'm working around it by playing one note first and then the other note while continuing to hold the first note, and then periodically testing my ability to hear each note when they're played simultaneously instead.) Playing with this has given me some ideas for how to practice some other things I'd like to be able to do with ear training, intervals, and singing.

I'd like to try the other methods too at some point but I decided to just focus on one thing to start with.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
thanks for your interest, I contribute often to the non-classical forum FYI..

DF

Last edited by Dfrank; 06/21/13 03:27 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
sounds good (pun intended)

DF

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission