2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Arghhh Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
In the other thread on firing the teacher, someone commented that parents know their kids better than teachers do and may have a different perspective on how motivated their kids are and what motivates them. Is there a good way to find out how practicing is really going at home? I've toyed with the idea of asking for feedback on how the parent thinks lessons and motivation are going and whether I can change things to be more effective before thoughts of quitting piano or switching teachers arise. However, I don't want to open the communication lines to frequent criticism.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I think if you concentrate on building a good relationship with the students/ parents in your studio that you'll be able to head off many issues. However, you won't be able to please everyone no matter what and some people aren't worth trying or are impossible to please.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 07/07/15 09:43 AM.

Yamaha G2
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Do you have your students keep a practice diary? (This does not have to be anything more than "I practiced for x minutes on this day").

The amount of practice they're doing doesn't tell you everything, obviously, even when it *is* logged consistently. And some people will never even bother to do that, while a few here and there may be tempted to "cheat" by padding their numbers. But surely, when a student who used to consistently fill out their diary suddenly stops doing it, you've got a good indication there is something going on. And with the ones who are being honest about it, you can use the diary as a jumping-off point to talk about the reasons their consistency is going south.

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Try videotaping/recording the practice sessions.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Arghhh
Is there a good way to find out how practicing is really going at home?

Have you tried just asking?

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
I've never had much luck with practice diaries to be honest. I find if students are progressing, then I know they're practicing and I'm happy with that. And everyone progresses at different rates.

I like to think I have a good relationship with my students so they openly tell me if they haven't practiced during the week. If it happens occasionally, I don't mind; I teach a lot of school pupils and if they are doing other activities plus homework, I know they don;t have a lot of time for music practice.

But if this continues for a while, I'll then talk to them about their schedule and see if we can find times during the week for piano practice. I try and be as understanding as I can, as I know they want free time to relax aswell. This usually has a positive response. If not, then I'll get the parent's involved.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission