2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I promised I'd get this up here some day. I'll make no excuses for the mistakes, which are mostly all my fault for not practicing it enough, but there arent too many. Also, apologies for the poor recording quality. I've used a little MP3 dictaphone thingy to record this full size concert grand so the sound is a little distorted. This will be one of my 3 pieces for my A level exam, so comments appreciated. Thanks. smile

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=1728778

T
T
I suppose it only makes sense for me to reply first, yes?

I really like your recording. The sound and dynamics are very good. The transition from the low B octave back up (left hand) in measure 18 could be a bit quicker. Other than that, I think you're right on.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for your feedback Tomas. I'll try and get a better recording of it some time.

Anyone else?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Bruce-san i believe this is the first recording i hear from you .. it is very good

I have some comments on how i will play this piece myself (i played it once i assume) - of course you know that comments on interpretation are a matter of personal opinion .. laugh

Your volume changes are fine throughout the piece but there need minor tweaks ..
Notice the piece's climax is at 1:20-1:24 (ending at the low octave)

But you mistreated this climax .. and rachmaninoff (one of my fav. pianists if not the top favorite) says that if you did not play a climax as it should then the piece will not be convincing .. or sth like that laugh

You played it like this .. you were having a nice time then suddenly you remember that you are in the climax so you very rapidly increase the volume
(exactly at 1:21) .. this sounds very deliberate and voluntary - (mainly due to the first part of the piece which was very tame .. maybe ???)

i suggest that you build this tension along the whole piece from the start (SORRY or from the new phrase starting at 1:05) with one way or another then at the climax you may increase the volume (yes even suddenly) - but you have to build for it before it comes

how can you do that? maybe through gradual increase in volume throughout the piece, slight tempo fluctuations (don't be that metronomic in the first half of the piece)

just what i feel .. don't take it seriously laugh

Nice tone by the way

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
And i forgot to say that the pause before the end was very long (sorry i am just used to faster tempos) or did you play the pause with the metronome tempo??

Anyway, nice to hear it, it is also somewhat different from Tomas's version which i heard a long time ago, (did i comment on yours tomas or did i forget? laugh )

i like comparative analysis between different performances - very benificial and fun

And bruce-san congrats on the rach prelude!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bassio:

Notice the piece's climax is at 1:20-1:24 (ending at the low octave)
sorry after hearing the piece again .. i think the climax ends at 1:33 (although its top is at the low octave) but it certainly extends to and dies at 1:33

What do you think guys?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I remember playing this piece a couple years ago. The rubato is very subtle with this piece. You do a good job, Bruce. I don't think that the climax is misplaced or anything. Maybe you could have used more push and pull, though. Also, with your last note, you need to be deeper into the keys. It needs to sound very soft yet very strong like you want the people in the back of Carnegie Hall to hear you. Maybe when you play you should play like you're Evgeny Kissin or Valentina Lisitsa(yes, I remember you like her) in Carnegie Hall and try to project the sound.

I don't know what the meaning of life is- I'm too busy to figure it out.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for comments everyone. Its nice to know i'm payed attention too on here. laugh Ill try and record my Rach prelude aswel; sometime. I wish i had a decent microphone.

Listening to this again now I agree with Bassio about the pause. With regards to the climax, I used to play it the way that you suggested, but my teacher told me that I should pay more attention to the score, and that the climax should come as a surprise from the more metronomic sounding section of the piece.

Valentina lisitsa rocks!
Peace out.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission