2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, 5 invisible), 1,261 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Looking at Craigslist, most old uprights languish for free and most spinets are free. I suspect in the not so distant future, people will pay to have a piano hauled away. This may become a good business for a young enterprising piano person. I do wonder what they charge at the landfill per ton.?

Casdorph Piano Service
Morgantown, WV
www.casdorphpiano.com
All pianos are bald ones.
C
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C
It already is. It usualy just amounts to a pianomove to the dump. Most customers are home owners or real estate agents that must have a house empty pending a sale. Most lanfills just charge by weight, though I think they would not accept them at all if they knew how much lead was in one. They want no electronics because of the little drops on the pc board. I think that they would blanch at the 10 lbs in the average grand. They just closed the local landfill, come to think of it. My business model may be in trouble, or they may be forced to pay more if we must render them.

Craig Hair
Hampshire Piano
Chesterfield, MA
Conservative Piano Restoration
Watch us on YouTube

I've learned better than to shout,"Eureka!"
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...I suspect in the not so distant future, people will pay to have a piano hauled away..."

We are already there, Dan--- you have foreseen the present, not the future. Who am I to look that gift horse of a free piano in the mouth... but if it were a real horse, people would be taking a look. They'd sound like the dentist: "Smile; open please." And then, just like the dentist, the bill would come for the haul-away.

Then again, maybe there will be that young musician who will use up those last few moments of the old piano's musical life, and a new person will have fallen in love with the piano... and the industry's heart will keep beating for another lifetime.

Clef

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
If I had a warehouse, all of those free uprights would have a home.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
A
A
Last year I largely emptied my warehouse so I could move into smaller digs. I threw away dozens. They are free because 1) New and shiny sells easier and 2) who is going to pay to make these thingees pianos again?

A decade ago, plenty of demand and sometimes a bit scares on the supply side, now quite the opposite. Don't get in the way of a falling piano market, it will hurt.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Here is my hope--more of this:

http://www.pianosforpeople.com/

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Piano disposal would never be a part of the business I would ever be interested in.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

--Andy

On a very small, individual scale, that is part of what I do. Sometimes, pianos come to me, and if they're functional, I try to find someone I can give them to.

I picked up a couple of grands a church was gong to throw away. One went to Kenny to practice working on while he went to school to become a piano tech. The other, a friend and I refinished (it had been rebuilt in the not-too-distant past), and we gave it to some friends who had lost their Steinway M - along with their entire home and belongings - in the 2007 SoCal Witch Creek fire. it was a housewarming present for their new home.

I picked up another baby grand a mother church was throwing away. I spent one day working on it, then donated it to my daughter's school.

Yet another baby grand that was headed for the landfill. This time, a new set of hammers, a good cleaning, and it will go to the friend of a friend.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
G
G
anrpiano, same as you, I got rid of EVERYTHING! I used to always have 8 or 10 pianos in my tiny 1,000 ft. apartment, to sell. These would be perfectly regulated and tuned to A-440. Still, all they bring is $300 or $400 on a good day. I stick to doing what I do best(tuning and repairing pianos), and I don't regret it!

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by OperaTenor
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

--Andy

On a very small, individual scale, that is part of what I do. Sometimes, pianos come to me, and if they're functional, I try to find someone I can give them to.

I picked up a couple of grands a church was gong to throw away. One went to Kenny to practice working on while he went to school to become a piano tech. The other, a friend and I refinished (it had been rebuilt in the not-too-distant past), and we gave it to some friends who had lost their Steinway M - along with their entire home and belongings - in the 2007 SoCal Witch Creek fire. it was a housewarming present for their new home.

I picked up another baby grand a mother church was throwing away. I spent one day working on it, then donated it to my daughter's school.

Yet another baby grand that was headed for the landfill. This time, a new set of hammers, a good cleaning, and it will go to the friend of a friend.

OperaTenor,

Besides Bill Bremmer, (and BDB for his recent Betsy Ross spinet elbow renovation project report (in the Piano Forum)), you are my hero! grin (Even if you do regard ET in too high esteem...) wink

(imho)

smile

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 12/05/13 02:12 AM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P.S.

Much to my wife's dismay, I have a warehouse (of a sort) at my disposal. Now, if I can just get a mini truck to that Story & Clark spinet I saw the other day in Freeport...

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The Betsy Ross was one, the old family upright that I renovated for a friend was another. That one came out much better than the Kawai console it replaced, for less than a modern used upright would cost.

Semipro Tech
A
A
Gary,

Back in "the day" we moved close to 100 used pianos through a year. I developed a rental program which proved very successful. After a while though, I realized I was like Wily Coyote, my business had continued to prosper as the overall market collapsed. Eventually, as with Wily, ... well, we all know what has happened. With the baby boomers moving out of their McMansions, and the kids not wanting the piano, the used market is flooded with pianos. In Chicago, Craigslist routinely has 400 - 500 pianos listed, many free or essentially free. Who cares if they haven't been tuned in 30 years!

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission