2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
First of all, let me say that I support the current ban on international trade of ivory. It has saved elephant herds that were on the brink of extermination. However . . .

It is now being proposed that there be a total ban on all ivory sales. How that would be implemented would have to emerge as the bureaucratic process was developed. However, it could mean that that nice old Steinway (or old upright) with the ivory keytops could no longer be sold. It could also mean that you couldn't glue on a new ivory head onto an otherwise-good set of ivory keys.

And, banning the internal trade in used ivory would not save a single elephant.

My wife is a violinist and I got the information from one of her suppliers. Check it out and let your voice be heard.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Keith.

The ban was - and is still - a good policy. The current proposal is yet another throw-baby-out-with-bathwater "solution." The Powers That Be simply need to enforce extant law and leave pre-ban and reclaimed ivory alone. Neither wife nor I can tolerate hydroplaning on molded plastic. And so, I suppose we'd better take our little box of pre-ban, reclaimed ivory - used only for replacing pre-ban, unsalvageable tops, tails, and fronts on our own piano - and take it to the lockbox. Might not hurt to do the same with our ebony sharps. Who knows? These could be next.

There is still plenty of reclaimable ivory key top, tail and front out there. A couple of weeks ago, I had to pass on an old upright at a flea market with a nice set of ivory and ebony. $50 for the whole piano. No longer have the ways and means to handle these Behemoths.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Idealism is never a good solution as prohibition only drives the sales underground and therefore impossible to monitor accurately.
Secondly a ban such as this would be virtually unenforceable.

Thirdly to do an end run around the law I could “donate” an ivory wafer head or tail, installed, and then the client could make a tax free “donation” to my business.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
There are two problems that need different approaches to solve.

As for the slippery plastic piano keys, manufacturers need to step up their game and develop synthetics which better mimic the properties of ivory. So far, I beleive only Kawai has done anything to this effect and its still falls somewhat short IMHO.

As for the poaching, society needs to push the "taboo" aspect of utilizing the ivory for such uses as male enhancement, aphrodesiac, fever reduction etc... As long as some idiot whose name rhymes with the sound of a fork hitting a wall thinks he can make his "piano key" stiffer with the ingestion of elephant ivory, walrus tusk or seal penis...the illegal market will be there for it and the banns just drive up the price.

Heavier fines and punishment should be dealt out for the poaching business and the Johns who support it. Perhaps scientists could figure out a way to inject a chemical into the tusks which would be harmless to the animal, but create medical issues for anyone who ingests or handles it...that would be a good start.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
The reasoning behind the ban has changed recently.

It is now asserted that the ivory poaching is a major source of terrorist organization funding. If true, that makes for a much more organized and destructive impact on a limited game population.

So the feeling is apparently that enforcement is not enough, there needs to be an attack on the profitability by reducing demand.

I'm not sure I buy this as a strategy but I can understand how some would, and how difficult it may be to resist.

gotta go practice
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Banning sales in N. America of pre ban ivory, domesticated ivory, or products made from other types of tusks will do little in the way of preventing elephant poaching.

Follow the money to the source of the demand for poached ivory, which is Asia.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Emmery
As long as some idiot whose name rhymes with the sound of a fork hitting a wall thinks he can make his "piano key" stiffer with the ingestion of elephant ivory, walrus tusk or seal penis...the illegal market will be there for it and the banns just drive up the price.

I can't think of anything that rhymes with "boink". confused

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Jenson
As long as some idiot whose name rhymes with the sound of a fork hitting a wall thinks he can make his "piano key" stiffer with the ingestion of elephant ivory, walrus tusk or seal penis...the illegal market will be there for it and the banns just drive up the price.

What about "twang" then?

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by TimR
The reasoning behind the ban has changed recently.

It is now asserted that the ivory poaching is a major source of terrorist organization funding. If true, that makes for a much more organized and destructive impact on a limited game population.

So the feeling is apparently that enforcement is not enough, there needs to be an attack on the profitability by reducing demand.

I'm not sure I buy this as a strategy but I can understand how some would, and how difficult it may be to resist.

Recycled ivory key tops = siding with terrorists

Yeah, I get it...

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The whole issue of pianos with illegal ivory is crazy. I do not know any piano rebuilder that would go out and purchase ivory from an illegal source and install it on a keyboard. For that matter install legal ivory.

Most of us are quite fine installing high quality acrylic tops.

I have 36 pianos here with ivory keys. 30 of them being grands. If the law gets passed in the U.S. Canada will be right behind them. What a pain.

I also have 3 grands heading to the U.S. in the new year with ivory. I can right now get the cities permits for them but fear I will not be able to if this goes through.

Frustrated!!!!

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rod Verhnjak

What about "twang" then?

Well ... I've been throwing forks at the wall all evening, and none of 'em make a "twang" sound. Maybe I've got cheap silverware. Maybe it was made in China. wink

David L. Jenson
Jenson's Piano Service
-----

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
David, plastic forks just don't work. Those are for picnics and then you don't have walls anyway.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Well, if the rhyming sound is "ding," then my IQ just dropped another 50 points. But I really think the "piano key" in question is metaphorical.

Bob W.
Conway, Arkansas

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bkw58
Well, if the rhyming sound is "ding," then my IQ just dropped another 50 points. But I really think the "piano key" in question is metaphorical.

That's the "G Rated" observation. This is, after all, a family forum.

Last edited by bkw58; 12/26/13 11:08 PM. Reason: typo

Bob W.
Conway, Arkansas
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Rod Verhnjak

What about "twang" then?

Well ... I've been throwing forks at the wall all evening, and none of 'em make a "twang" sound. Maybe I've got cheap silverware. Maybe it was made in China. wink

I've thrown China at the wall; it is very satisfying but forks are easier to clean up.

gotta go practice
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos

Thirdly to do an end run around the law I could “donate” an ivory wafer head or tail, installed, and then the client could make a tax free “donation” to my business.

This ploy won't work -- either in Canada or USA. Both countries are signatories to the current CITES ban on cross-border ivory transfer. Doesn't matter if you give or sell it -- transfer of ivory is illegal. Same would be the case within the country . Here in the USA we are looking at it being illegal for Aunt Sophie to pass down her antique ivory brooch to her niece Susie.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
All "good" laws have unintended consequences and unforeseen complications. That alone should make us wary of new laws and uneasy with signing treaties.

David L. Jenson
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Have not seen any elephant huggers lately.

x-rpt
retired ptg member

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission