2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,330 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2231445 02/14/14 12:28 PM
OP Offline
The AO on this 6 footer is being pinched on the left side by the left cheek block causing it to not operate. customer says its because her son got a little rough with the pedals and knocked a lyre brace out. After re-installing the brace and adjusting both braces to proper tension, the problem still was present. Next I observed that both the sostenuto pedal rod and the support rod that fell out have a slight bend in them(and i mean ever so slight). So i lengthened the rod for the sostenuto pedal which shifted the action to the right letting some light down the left side of AO so it can operate. The ?QUESTION? is; What about the space that is now left between the action stop block? Shouldn't THE ACTION STOP be whats holding the action away from the edge of the cheek block? Among other things?

respectfully,

Anson Everitt
PTG assoc
world observer

Anson Everitt
PTG associate
OP Offline
Piano is approx. 15 yrs old and was recently moved from Oregon to Utah(arguably THE best climate for pianos), yet a little drier than Oregon. Maybe a lot drier.

Anson Everitt
PTG associate
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Reads like the stop block has moved, along with the bending of trap work rods. Would take quite a bit of force to do that. I would have a look around inside too as there may be other damage. Possible damage to the sostenuto lever or set pins.

I would take the rods out and set the action and stop block so they operate correctly; then straighten the rods as best you can, replace and adjust. You might need to build up the stop block a bit Anson because of shrinkage from the difference in climates.

Of course the visit to the woodshed with the former pedal operator is something that has to be completed by the client.

OP Offline
Oh! Brother Dan! Thank You!

I wondered if shrinkage might be involved. May I ask how you would recommend building that block up? Would it be prudent to remove the thinner felt it is covered with and glue on a thicker piece?

Anson

Anson Everitt
PTG associate
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well,

First get the action out and have a good look at the sos lever that drives the action laterally. The pins that hold it in place could be damaged or bent and perhaps the lever is not allowing the action to travel all the way back to resting point.

If you have to build the block up I would add a hard quality felt that will not compress very much. Action cloth comes to mind immediately or perhaps a piece of buckskin or buckskin felt. Whatever is on the block now leave it there.

OP Offline
Thank you kind Sir!

Your response and advice is greatly appreciated. Also , many thanks for sharing so many great things on your blog.

I enjoy it immensely!

Anson

Anson Everitt
PTG associate
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Good to see you posting once again Anson. We have not seen you here for some time; I hope all is well there.

Let us know if you have any more observations about the Seiler. From the models I have come across they are nicely made machines.

Thanks for the comments about my blog. I must get back to the blog as I have been a bit negligent in posting there.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I can't see how knocking out a lyre will change the action stop block. It does not sound like the binding key problem is related to the lyre issue.

Pull the action, inspect the key frame for anything unusual.
Look at the stop block. Has the cloth covering become worn or damaged or is it scraped off? If so replace it with high quality cloth of the exact thickness required.

If the stop block, the action and key frame are all OK, I would loosen the stop block and shim it out 2 mm with some cardboard. Test the action - if it works that may be all you need.

Final check may involve careful hammer spacing and string mating though, as well as shift pedal regulation.

JG
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...customer says its because her son got a little rough with the pedals..."

Customer is getting dangerously adept at minimizing her son's misdeeds. I could suggest she view any of the current crop of television shows, which reveal what things are like inside the nation's prisons.

There was a very touching scene on one of these the other day, which featured a mother visiting her young son, age 19, who was just starting an 8-year sentence. His cellie is a repeat sex offender, but the son hasn't found this out yet. Maybe in the next episode.

Maybe the piano repair bill will be that dash of cold water in the mom's face, so that she might wake up from her hypnotic trance in time. A Seiler is too nice a make to let the kids kick it to kindling wood.

Clef

J
J
Before proceeding, check hammer/string alignment. If it was correct originally, their offset will tell you how much to shim the rest block at the left side. It may take two business cards or a thick piece of cardboard inserted between the block and case. Also check the alignment of the key end and underlever. So between the hammer spacing and underlever alignment, you may need to shim some and respace the hammers in order to have the underlever in the optimal location.

Regards,

Jon Page
Piano technician/tuner
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
http://www.pianocapecod.com
OP Offline
A lot of great replies. Thank you. This block seems to be glued on so I'm not too excited about removing it to shim it out. The felt is still like new since the piano hasn't been played much and the hammers are all out of alignment(prolly since the day it left the showroom floor(sorry, i haven't much faith in dealers)). I didn't observe well enough the condition of the key frame itself nor the situation in and around the underlever. There still may be clues for me there. It is a nice instrument with a mellow euro-tone. In need of a full regulation for sure though.

Anson Everitt
PTG associate
I had a similar problem with a Seiler 206 after it was moved. Turns out that there is some "wiggle room" in the cheek blocks. Loosen the screws on the blocks and adjust so they don't bind.

Seiler 206, Chickering 145, Estey 2 manual reed organ, Fudge clavichord, Zuckerman single harpsichord, Technics P-30, Roland RD-100.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission