2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1173686 04/03/09 07:56 AM
OP Offline
OH MAN! This is perfect! I went to diagnose the yammy p22 yesterday(I think that's pianotech-ese for yamaha p22). Anyhow, this thing has the exact same "rattle" as the piano I grew up on and am now using in my home.(a studio-kawai-creamy white color) I've been looking for this "snake" since before I knew the reason that funny guy with the bag full o tools came to our house every few years and pounded the crap out of our piano even though I wasn't allowed to pound on the piano. Its a mechanical rattle or buzz. Nothing to do with tuning or hammers not hitting square. Do you know what I mean? It's actuated mostly by notes in the upper third of the piano and I think it may be coming from the fallboard hinge. It stops sometimes. It will do it on loud notes and on soft notes. If I move the fall board a little I can get it to stop. Then, if I leave it for some time and come back, it will come back too. Mysterious, it is. Find it, I must. The owner said, the store tech put something on the ends of the fall board, where it attaches to the case or frame. I looked,...on the pin with the little locking flange there seemed to be an extra washer or maybe even a balance rail felt to keep things from rattling..... Not helping. Is there a possibility we would need to get a better quality hinge?. I think its the long skinny pin going through the center of that hinge. or still something to do with those locking flanges, whatever they're called.

feel free to comment it you like!

anson

Anson Everitt
PTG associate
OP Offline
Oh yes, the previous attemptees have apparantly tightened every screw everywhere except for on the action itself. This seems to be true. THis piano is only a year old. I plan on removing the action and tightening all screws but I don't think this is where the culprit lies. Is that how you spell lies? or should it be lyes? ly? LL..Let sleeping dogs ly. that can't be it. Oh youcan tell I've been short of sleep having spent some time at the hospital getting the 4th member of our future piano moving crew here and safely snug up against his soft source of sustenance.yummy!
anson

Anson Everitt
PTG associate
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Congrats!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
What is it Kawai Don says to use on the rattly hinge? Linseed oil? A couple of drops stops the rattle.

Keith Roberts
Keith's Piano Service
Hathaway Pines,Ca

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission