2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I just purchased a new L190 which should arrive at my home in Austin in early February. Since then, I have been pursued something of a layman's education in my duties in maintaining this fine instrument. I have three questions for those who may know:

(1) The brochure states: “Movable double duplex scale of individual pieces. It enables technicians to change the tuning according to their wishes and necessary acoustics. This special feature is rarely available.” I have read the extensive and somewhat animated discussions between Del and Ori on this subject--and do not need to involve a complete novice such as myself in that area.

What I am concerned with is (a) whether I need to ever worry about this aspect--Ori seems to feel, if I read him correctly, that once it leaves the factory you do not HAVE to mess with this--and (b) whether I need to consider this aspect in choosing a tech--and if not, when I do have a tech work on it, should I caution him or her not to have fun playing around with it? In short--is there anything special I need to do in choosing a tech/tuner to deal with an Estonia L190?

(2)I have read one poster who stated that the strings on an Estonia can get out of tune just by "breathing on them." Any truth to this?

(3) I would appreciate any PM s I might get from anyone knowledgeable about outstanding techs in the following areas of Texas: (1) Austin and (2) Corpus Christi--where I will eventually move.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Russ

Estonia L190--Serial # 7117
Ragtime should never be played fast--Scott Joplin

Repertoire (Ready for Carnegie Hall smile ): Fur Elise; Beethoven Minuet in G; Chopin: Prelude 28-7; Joplin: The Entertainer

Polishing: Chopin: Waltz in A minor (Post)

Working: Brahms: Waltz 39-15; Chopin: Albumblatt
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
1) Most technicians don't ever tune the duplexes (I don't). Occasionally they make objectionable sounds, and then we adjust them to eliminate them (usually the front duplex). So don't worry about finding a tech who's factory-trained in L190s.

2) No.

3) You can find RPTs here: http://www.ptg.org. If you're wind up in Corpus Christi, I'd certainly recommend a Piano Life Saver system for that humidity. On a fine new piano like yours, I'd recommend one regardless of where you go.

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
You just need a good tech. Period. All the other stuff you mentioned is sales pitch and personal opinions. Any good piano needs a good tech and that is the main ingredient to success in maintaining your piano.

Most pianos would be better off without the aliquots and instead having a longer backscale. All strings change pitch when the temperature changes. Most of the time you don't notice. It's humidity swings that you WILL notice, but mostly over the course of seasonal changes.

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
R
OP Offline
R
My thanks for the information, Cy and Dale.

Russ

Estonia L190--Serial # 7117
Ragtime should never be played fast--Scott Joplin

Repertoire (Ready for Carnegie Hall smile ): Fur Elise; Beethoven Minuet in G; Chopin: Prelude 28-7; Joplin: The Entertainer

Polishing: Chopin: Waltz in A minor (Post)

Working: Brahms: Waltz 39-15; Chopin: Albumblatt

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission