2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2301042 07/11/14 09:49 AM
OP Offline
I/ve been doing alot of reading on ETDs, and self tuning pianos and (through google) how these devices will automate tuning etc.. etc.. etc..

So let me get this straight whilst looking at another example :

If what the different journalist say about ETDs and self tuning pianos and all that technology which will eventually replace professions, then it necessarily follows that the same technology will also replace pianists (and through the same train of thought architects, painters, composers etc..); the required algorithm complexity (if such a high level is reached) is the same for performance, as for maintenance. So then we are talking about a level of technology that has gone beyond AI and which includes those cognitive processes/emotions that are required in order to produce an excellently tuned piano, a virtuoso performance, or a Parthnenon instead of a square building ie. a technology that isn't just mathematically motivated but dwelves deep into psyche. Such a technology (since I am familiar with these technologies) cannot be digitally based, and if it is non carbon based will no longer be a technology, but rather a new and alien life form (cfr. "The Emperor's New Mind").

So yes, if we manage to create such life forms, then perhaps things may change, but not because of innovative algorithms. Of course tastes will radically change and then these new life forms will also start supporting their own endeavours through their own means, and own points of view.

But since we are quite far from such experiences, I really don't think that technology will replace human skill where talent, taste, experience and of course technique are necessary ingredients. This in my humble opinion, includes piano support services, innovative engineering services, and of course the arts.

I do however wonder how much people that play the piano, including performers, differentiate between piano tuning quality? If the piano owner has no clue as to the quality of service, the anyone I guess can pretend to be a piano technician, even a standalone ETD...

We meet upon the level, and..you don't fear someone whose story you know!
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I am much further removed from the real skill of operating creatively with digital domain technologies than you are. I do follow new technology trends in general.

I do think quantum computing technology will dramatically change the field. And there have been recent leaps of these techniques.

Self aware, creative digital entities may well be algorithm based. Giving the entity the "self awareness" to recognize internally authored links between information it is processing and comparing them could create a sense of "Me". Having a sense of what "rhymes" could also give it creative originality.

The real risks over the next 50 years is what will be considered "gainfully employed" for humans when robots can make anything and operate just about any system of technology. Presently over 1/2 of the equity trading is between robots.

We are seeing the de-coupling of the creation of large aggregate wealth from products and services that need a broad middle class market to support mass production. In the future the wealthy will own most of the new technology and will not need a mass market to support it. They could also "own" the eco-system by owning the technology needed to monitor and preserve the health of the earth.

ROBOTS DO NOT GET RIGHTS!!!!

We need a constitutional amendment that establishes this. And Corporations can not be people because the 13th amendment eliminates the market for people by outlawing slavery and indentured servanthood. And since corporations are owned-they cannot be both "people" and "property"-because the property state for people is slavery and/or indentured servanthood.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
tonyster, You raise an interesting question. I'm in the process of watching the "Battlestar Galatica" television series which addresses this very question of man and machine. I often ask myself who is serving who? Or should I ask, who is serving what? At times I do wonder if we're not spending our lives in service of various machines and technologies; they have been keeping us rather busy lately.

I think an important part of the equation is that people enjoy making music. Personally I would give up my orchestra tickets way before I would give up playing my piano. (Fortunately I have very tolerant neighbors)

Enjoy

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
ETD phone home.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
OP Offline
Battlestar Galactica ??? M'a man !!!

Did they ever cut off Vector's head ? tis many years since I/ve seen the show ! Ever since my high school days in Montreal !!!
Enjoy !!!

OP Offline
Yes. There does seem to be a macro economic transformation but I'm not sure it's something that hasn't happened. Let me remind us all that the great depression was for the majority,whilst the equilibrium that the economy had reached was indeed beneficial for a minority. Indeed, the way things are going, we may even go back to the gold standard since the gold that will be held by the few, does not need a particular strategy to maintain its value.
Why did Meynard Keynes come up with his theories since those that had the aggregated capital - the culture of contentment- were well content to keep things the way they were?
Well, because of something that was intended for the industrialized west, but occured in the agricultural east...the communist revolution.
Of course this seems to be history, and we're reverting to the practices of the past...but is it history ??? Time will tell.
But for now, indeed (and this includes Europe) things are changing not so much in favor for the labor force, or the professional. We'll see.

oh, and not to mention that in some industries, if you're 50 yrs and out of work...you're toast !!!
It's a Brave New World we're forging, let me tell you ....

Last edited by tonyster220763; 07/11/14 02:20 PM.

OP Offline
thumb

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The 200 million or so wealthiest people on the planet will soon be able to command enough resources to sustain themselves indefinitely because they will own the robot armies and police that will keep the rabble from successful revolution.

It wouldn't surprise me that they finally take the step of unleashing neutron bombs to rid the planet of "excess" population. Earth would be a very comfortable place with a total population of 200 million wealthy, educated, artistic people.

I know this is a dark view. But that is why I am adamant; ROBOTS DO NOT GET RIGHTS!! Corporations can not be people because they are owned! It is illegal to own people. Thus corporations can not be people.

(I am not anti-corporation, they just aren't PEOPLE!).

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
OP Offline
Will be interesting to see the results of these 200 or so trying to pro create....Remember the old aristocrats (there weren't that many) when they tried to "reproduce"? ex : the Hapsburg dynasty?

Here's a good reminder

http://mohawknationnews.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/hapsburg.jpeg

On the other hand, they were all music lovers and did indeed do their best to promote and support the arts...

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I did say 200 MILLION people. That is more than enough to insure genetic diversity. Not to mention that genetic engineering will allow them to tailor themselves for superior fitness.

OP Offline
oh. ok. I stand corrected.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission