2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Hi

I'm currently trying to play "Auld Lang Syne" from the "Piano for dummies" book. Does anyone have this book?

When I play on the second row it says C7 above the row, and the notes are C for the right hand (the melody) and E + B on the left hand. The problem is that this for some reason it sounds horrible to my ears when I play those notes together.. so I'm almost thinking something is wrong with the sheet.

C7 is actually a chord, right? I guess it's a bit strange since it's before the chapter with chords ^^

What I would like to know if someone have any clue what notes that should be there, maybe if someone else who has the book can figure it out?

Best Regards
/Daniel

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
It should be Bb...C7 is C,E,G,Bb.

PTG Associate Member

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)
D
OP Offline
D
Thank you. But if I just want to hit just two keys with the left hand, since I've not yet reached the chord chapter. Would C and G work? I tried it out and it sounds a lot better then E and B together with the C on the right hand. Or what two keys makes a sound closest to C7?

Thank you.
/Daniel

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Daniel.L:
Thank you. But if I just want to hit just two keys with the left hand, since I've not yet reached the chord chapter. Would C and G work? I tried it out and it sounds a lot better then E and B together with the C on the right hand. Or what two keys makes a sound closest to C7?

Thank you.
/Daniel
As JDelmore says, E and Bb in the LH plus C in the right hand is a C7 (minus the fifth). The C in the RH is part of the overall chord (it's the root note in fact), so it's C-E-Bb that gives you the C7 sound, not just the two notes in the LH.

Doubling the C in the LH and adding G without the E (which is the third of the chord) would not be my recommendation. And if you go with C-E-G in some combination (dropping the Bb), then you don't have a 7th chord anymore; you just have a C major triad.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
D
OP Offline
D
Oh, I see. I think I misunderstood JDelmore.
I still think it sounds a bit strange though, but it does sound a lot better then E B and C.

Thank you, I was really annoyed by that sound when I thought I was playing the right notes. smile

Best Regards
/Daniel

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
OK, Daniel...here's another stab. I'm assuming that we're talking about the "a-and nev" bit. I'm further assuming that we're in the key of F. (Have you done key signatures yet?) Try this: in the left hand, play C and Bb. In the right hand, E and A. Then, the A goes to G (which is just a "passing tone") and further on to the F. When you get to the F, you play it and middle C in the right hand. In the left hand, play F and A.

So, the left hand goes C-Bb to F-A, while the right goes E-A (thru G) to C-F. See if that sounds a bit better!

Clear as mud?

PTG Associate Member

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)
D
OP Offline
D
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
in days of auld -lang- syne?

Actually, I've not yet reached the key chapter.. but I've read about it anyway. It seems like the song is in the C key (no sharp or flat signs next to the cleft).

It looks like this:

Text:
"... days of auld -lang- syne?"
Melody:
"... F D D C F "
Chords (or Intervals?):
"... D A G Bb E B C A "
Above the rows it says:
"... Dm Gm C7 F "

It's at that "lang" I thought that it sounded strange with E B, and then you recommended E Bb instead, which definitely sounds better I think.

D
OP Offline
D
Seems like some spaces was removed.. maybe that's hard to read now.. frown

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Ok...gotcha...the E and Bb in the left hand with the C in the right will define the chord, but it's gonna sound funky because the root, C, isn't in the bass. I'd add it, play C,E,Bb with the melody middle C. It's just a weird arrangement...it's not going to sound like you "want" it to until you're a bit more advanced and can "play with it" a bit. But you'll get there!!

It is in the key of F--I guess they just didn't write it that way because you're a dummy...LOL...just kidding...it's because they haven't "got" to that yet!!

PTG Associate Member

D
OP Offline
D
I see, so they write out the flats instead I guess? Anyway, you're right, it sounds even better when I add the bass C.

Thank you
/Daniel L.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Cool. Since you seem to be 'champing at the bit', which is an excellent thing, go ahead and start playing around with it!! Here are the notes for the chords:

Dm: D,F,A
Gm: G,Bb,D
C7: C,E,G,Bb
F: F,A,C
Bb: Bb,D,F

Play the notes in various positions (called "inversions"), i.e. for Dm, D-F-A, then A-F-D, etc. Just see what sounds best to YOU--make it YOUR music! Be sure to keep the melody note on top, though!

PTG Associate Member

D
OP Offline
D
Ouch,, I didnt really get how those inversion worked.. I'm one of those who really needs to understand the teory before learning it practically. I think I will look more closely at that when I reach that chapter. But thank you anyway. smile

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission