2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello everyone,
I'm new in this Forum. I wonder if you can share with me as far as what I need, where to get it, and how to start on my self-learning. It's real hard but I want to give it a try for few months to see how it goes. I'm still at my 20s and didn't have chance to persue it when I was younger.
I would really appreciate it if you can help me with this.Thanks. Merry Christmas to you all.

epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
First, welcome to the forum!

Second, I would think the first requirement is some sort of piano, either digital or acoustic (a keyboard is a possibility, although not as good). Then one of the basic books such as Alfred's or Farber. That would be a good start. Why not tell us a little more about yourself and the kind of music you like so we can steer you in the right direction.

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by epf:
Why not tell us a little more about yourself and the kind of music you like so we can steer you in the right direction.
And what music you would like to learn how to play. Different types of music require different types of learning.

It's also no problem that you started in your twenties. Many people here in the forums started much later.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome!

You might want to go to a music store and look through some books and see what you like.

You might also want to pick up a basic music theory book as well and maybe one on sight reading.

Happy Holidays.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I know you want to self teach, but the very beginning is extremely important, so if you can afford lessons, do it from the start.

Also welcome...

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Welcome to the forum, Sidebyside, and welcome to the wonderful world of piano. smile

Self-teaching is possible (many of us are successfully doing so ourselves), but I agree with Mark that a lesson or two at the beginning to show you proper posture, hand positioning, etc. could be very helpful. Little things like sitting the right distance from the keyboard are very important in terms of preventing injury yet are hard to pick up from books or videos.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Welcome, Sidebyside,

Ditto to Mark's and Monica's recommendation about a teacher at the beginning. Once you become comfortable with the basics you can proceed to pick music of interest to you. If what you pick is too difficult at the beginning, you'll need to have a huge storage place for the music that one day you'll play. Check with Monica on how to collect sheet music and books and on how to store them all. She's an expert on both the latter. laugh

I'm sure you'll enjoy the friendly folk and help here in the ABFourum. thumb

Regards,

Lisztener

P.S. I invite you to listen to Monica play a lovely arrangement of "What Child is This" by David Nevue, one of her favorite "new Age" composers. I hope this beautifully played rendition serves as an inspiration and motivation to you as it does to many others:

http://www.uky.edu/~harris/whatchild.mp3

P.S. I invite you to listen to Monica play a lovely arrangement of "What Child is This" by David Nevue, one of her favorite "new Age" composers. I hope this beautifully played rendition serves as an inspiration and motivation to you as it does to many others:

http://www.uky.edu/~harris/whatchild.mp3
Yes, that was indeed very nice. Monica, your M&H and your playing sound excellent. You get an A+. laugh

Merry Christmas!

Hi Sidebyside. You can do it. There are lots of websites and free piano lessons on the internet that are very helpful. I do agree that at least some formal instruction would be good.

Take care,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission