2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
ziggyb Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I am a bass player who is interested in learning keyboard. I have a small budget, and would like to buy an introductory 88-key digital piano to study on. I need to practice quietly with headphones, so a real piano is not an option at the moment. I would like to get some expert opinions on a good model for under $1000. I have played a Radio Shack version of a Casio CDP-100 and really liked it. Weighted keys and good action are important to me, not trendy synthesizer sounds. Something that sounds more or less like the real thing, for very little money. Could you real pianists out there help this humble "low-ender" join the wonderful world of keyboard wizardry? Thanks for your advice!

Did you ask this on the digital piano forum? You might get a better response there.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Did you take a look at the Digital Forum?

You can read about a ton of digital stuff there...

You should get some good reply's here too...

Don't forget to look at the used digital market. I bought a used Kawai ES4 for $600 on Ebay.

K
K
I was told - entry level - Yamaha P85 or Casio PX 120.

I got the Casio PX 120 at Best Buy (Online) included Keyboard, Stand, and Foot Pedals.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I can recommend the Kawai CL25 as the best entry level piano I recently tried out on a hunt the perfect DP expedition.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
CDP100 is as old as Casio PX100, 3 generations before. now, there's a new replacement CDP200 coming out (not currently in US market yet, but Europe and Au). if i were you, i wouldn't bother with it and would get a much newer and better PX120/320 instead or get Yamaha P85.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ziggy,

something like a yamaha ydp-140 is going to be in your price range and is unlikely to disappoint.
I'd take a trip to Guitar Center or Best Buy (they recently added a decent music section) and try those keyboards in your price range.
Bring your own set of headphones to the shop.

These are not low-ender keyboards by any means, imho.

Carefully consider the set of features you want. As a bass player, I'd imagine you're interested in more than classical (?). If so, features where you can plug in usb keys with your own midi files, accompaniment where you can plug in your own changes are great features to have. The YPG 635 is a neat keyboard to consider, under $800, if you're interested in such things.

Take care.

P
P
About 1.5 years ago I got the Yamaha P-70 for about $600 and have been very happy with it. I think they now have a newer model and maybe the prices have come down. About 6 months ago I got a Baldwin baby grand that is great, but I still use the Yamaha when I need to play quietly.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
don't forget to allow in your budget for a decent pair of headphones. They can cost around $100 (some more, some less.) (You can do a search on headphones in the forums.)

[Linked Image]
Originally posted by ziggyb:
on a good model for under $1000 ... Something that sounds more or less like the real thing, for very little money. Could you real pianists out there help...
Don't know if you are willing to traval to TampaBay area, but this listing is a great board for $950

Keyboard- Yamaha S90 - $950 (St. Petersburg)

I have no connection with this listing, except that I do own an S90 and it's a really great keyboard!

Kevin

[Linked Image]
Yamaha S90 --------------- SS-69 Grand
The most important thing in music is what is not in the notes.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
The Casio Keys are still like the ones on toy pianos, plastic and wobbly, I'm sorry if I offend any Casio aficionado's but if we are advising newcomers to the piano world, or the digital piano world, we have to stop saying Casio is best on a budget. As an owner of both Roland and Korg DPs I have to say that the best entry level piano I recently tried was the Kawai CL25, a quality piano, it knocked similarly priced Roland and Yamaha DP's into bits, and not much more expensive than a Casio, they're selling in the UK for around £600.

R
R
The Casio Privias are excellent for beginners and advanced alike. I own a PX200 and am very happy with it. It has MIDI, USB, excellent heavy keys and touch, very good grand piano sound (plus many other voices) and comfortable price.

rvillate
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have a Kawai ES4 which I use for late night and early morning practice and to take with me to the cottage. It's a bit more than your budget but it has a good weighted keyboard and has a good touch. Yeah, it sounds like a digital but they all do. You can't have everything. laugh

Buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.
Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
I can recommend the Casio CDP-100, especially for the action (which is probably one of the heaviest I've tried on a digital). I bought it used for $300 and found it great for late-night practicing. It is also easy to carry around (weighs only about 25 lbs).

I have tried the more expensive Casio Privias and some Yamahas and Rolands that cost up to $2000 or so, and IMHO, their sound/feel just didn't justify the much-higher prices.

Your best bet would be to try as many digital pianos at the music store that fits within your budget as you can and then go from there. Everyone has different tastes. Some people like a heavier action and some a lighter action. One piano voice might be pleasing to you but not to another person...etc.

M
M
Look on the classifieds, especially craigslist. I've often spotted good digital pianos for under $1000, though I know the Adagio digital piano sells for abut $800 new and I actually liked it a lot. Though one of my student's families has a really nice digital, a Kohler I think, they paid $1200 for it, normally t was $2500. I like playing it too, and I found it responds very well even with late intermediate/early advanced pieces.

Meri

Clarinet and Piano Teacher based out of Toronto, Canada.Web: http://donmillsmusicstudio.weebly.com

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission