2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 16 invisible), 1,827 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I spent an 1 1/2 hours yesterday and another 2 hours today playing to the various versions of this song available on youtube. Man, so much fun! I played it with all the sounds available on my keyboard from strings to cello to voices etc. Sounds best with "Grand Piano" sound but the strings are really beautiful to layer in the back ground.

Metallica may be a seminal metal band but this really is a beautiful song; relatively simplistic too but you get so much room to move around with chord inversions and melodic variations.

Sorry, just had to tell someone how much fun I have had.

Last edited by Jonny Guitar; 03/19/12 10:33 PM.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

My favorite piano cover of this song is the one that Vika does, but I wouldn't call her arrangement a beginner version. eek (The song doesn't start until about 22 seconds in.) It's a lovely melody, I agree.

[video:youtube]zrR39V3b1yg[/video]

J
OP Offline
J
^^ Vika is my hero!~

I had never thought of this as a piano song until I saw her version; however it is great to play along with the orginal, the Apocalyptica version, Vika's 2 versions, and the the Scott B. Davis version etc.

I am now going to download her tutorial of said song and see how I can Vika'ize it.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My favorite version of this piece is my own!.....[fishing....]

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
That is classic tune to improvise to smile

Another fave, is a medley of Hotel California/Stairway to Heaven, in which I like to mix up styles of hard rock/pseudo classical/jazz. It can keep me occupied for up to a hour at at time.

Rob

Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
My favorite version of this piece is my own!.....[fishing....]

...and nibbling. Post up a link, will ya? smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well Monica, now that there seems to be an unprompted/unsolicited 'request' to post up rock & roll piano tunes, I think we should. Hehe.

Actually, Jonny Guitar, Rob, Monica, I think it would be a ton-O-fun to have a thread in which members post up recordings of rock classics performed via solo piano. I LOVE to play these tunes and do it all the time.

"Stairway to Heaven", "Nothing else Matters", Even...."Whole loota Love" by Led Zeppelin. I LOVE to take these tunes and rock the house....violently! It can get a little out of hand at times....but that's the fun of it.

Anyone interested? I've thought of making a recording of these tunes at some point but didn't think they would be too well received by everyone since rock piano is not for everyone.

It would be cool though if a bunch of us worked on a rock tune and postd up a solo piano version of it.

J
OP Offline
J
I don't have the ability yet to record dp however I will soon hopefully. I have no interest at all in playing classical stuff....it is all about playing along with music that I like. I think that kinda makes me an oddball around here.

Danish cello group Apocalyptica plays string versions of lots of rock songs and adding the piano over top really gives you that, "I'm the Solo artist" feel. They usually play it in a different key though so transposing is needed to play it the way you know it.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I remember a 'classic rock' piano thread a while back and asked if anyone wanted to contribute a tune or two to the thread. The response was very weak and the thread went nowhere. Too bad to because I think if could be a lot of fun.

SOOOO....I think I may start one anyway! hehe, [besides, who are we kidding here as I've got a ton of stuff to post up!].

Rather than just whip up something quickly, I may instead put together some ridiculously overdone, hammed-up performance. Why not? It's spring, today it's in the 80's here in Arizona and I'm feeling phunky.

Stay tuned.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well Monica, now that there seems to be an unprompted/unsolicited 'request' to post up rock & roll piano tunes, I think we should.

Anyone interested?

It would be cool though if a bunch of us worked on a rock tune and postd up a solo piano version of it.

Well Monica, now that there seems to be an unprompted/unsolicited 'request' to post up rock & roll piano tunes, I think we should. Hehe.

Actually, Jonny Guitar, Rob, Monica, I think it would be a ton-O-fun to have a thread in which members post up recordings of rock classics performed via solo piano. I LOVE to play these tunes and do it all the time.

Anyone interested?

YES!!!!!

Rock/metal is my genre. And it has always been my goal to play my fave rock songs on piano. When I was 10 and could barely play I somehow managed to plunk out a little bit of Stairway. I'm currently working on Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.
Not sure my playing ability is worthy of posting but I'll give it a shot!

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
G
G
WOW! VIKA ROCKS!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Kymber, by all means post up Bohemian Rhapsody. I'd love to hear it. That piece has so many dramatic chords and is super fun to play. Overdoing the dramatics on that particular piece can be double fun if you want to get a little goofy with it. It's a great iconic song.

I'll try and put something together [and actually do it this time]. It may take a few days since I need to re-learn it as I tend to forget whatever I've memorized if I don't keep it current.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kymber, by all means post up Bohemian Rhapsody. I'd love to hear it. That piece has so many dramatic chords and is super fun to play. Overdoing the dramatics on that particular piece can be double fun if you want to get a little goofy with it. It's a great iconic song.

I'll try and put something together [and actually do it this time]. It may take a few days since I need to re-learn it as I tend to forget whatever I've memorized if I don't keep it current.

Yeah! Gettin' goofy with it!

Thanks for the encouragement Super H. I will need some time to learn the song but this will be a good goal for me. In the mean time I might work on some a shorter piece. It will be my first post/"performance" EEEEEK.

Can't wait to hear what you have up your sleeve!

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
J
OP Offline
J
This is good...I am on the verge of buying a new dp and thinking FP7F so I can easily record: when I do buy, I am in for sure.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission