2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1942501 08/14/12 11:27 AM
N
Norrec Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hello,

Today at work I had a short break where I was waiting on things to finish or someone to get out of a meeting and had time to fill. A quick google search and I found a website that could be useful to others trying to read music better.

http://www.sightreadingpractice.com

You can configure it down at the bottom exactly what notes/octaves you want to practice. It will then throw notes at you randomly and you just click on the correct key. You can turn key-labels on and off.

Just in the minutes I spent with it today I feel like I've improved my ability to reconize notes on ledger lines quite a bit. I thought this could be helpful for others that have short bursts of free time away from the keyboard but want to continue their practice.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Looks good, 133 in the first exercise - not hard to beat.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Very nice, thanks a lot!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This is a great find. I will use with some of my pupils! Great. smile

Hey, nice site. Can't think of one of us who needs to improve sight reading more than I!

Last edited by Sly Cat; 08/16/12 03:26 PM.

Currently playing an Axus D2.

I had found this site before but never considered using it for note recognition on ledger lines. That's a great way to get use out of it, thanks for sharing!

SightReadingMastery – Master Sight Reading with Real Music
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Evan R. Murphy
I had found this site before but never considered using it for note recognition on ledger lines.
For quick recognition of ledger lines, focus on 2 notes, high C and low C. Both are 2 ledger lines off the staff. So recognition of these notes should be as easy as seeing middle C. I always say, 1 line in the middle of the grand staff for middle C, 2 lines outside the grand staff for the low and high Cs. Relate all the other notes to those 2. For extremely high and low ledger lines, often they are an octave duplicate of another note. One line note and one space note about the same distance as the height of the staff. Recognize this interval and ledger lines get way less scary.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
Great tip, Brian.

J
J
Originally Posted by Evan R. Murphy
Great tip, Brian.

+1

I posted a short article about Brian's ledger line tip, including this image to help illustrate the point of using high C, low C and middle C as anchors:

[Linked Image]

SightReadingMastery – Master Sight Reading with Real Music
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
extremely helpful, thank you!

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
The C on the treble staff is 3 spaces up and the C on the bass staff is 3 spaces down. That symmetry makes them very easy to recognize. Add those to the picture and you have an excellent set of landmark notes. Also the clef's themselves provide some extra easily seen notes as the G clef wraps around the G and the F clef marks the F with its 2 dots.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Maybe this time I can learn properly all those notes far from the staff. Now I stop and count the lines, sometimes I write the name of the note with a pencil, so it's there for the next time.

Thank you very much!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
[oh, wait, I didn't read carefully. Now I see you're talking about ledger line notes...]

Eventually you learn to take in the position of the note on the staff without having to count the lines or spaces. This is the same as how if you see a person crossing the street, you can tell if they're on this side of the street, close to this side of the street, in the very middle of the street, closer to the other side of the street, or all the way to the other side of the street, without having to take out a yardstick and measure it.

What I like about the link in the OP is that it's drilling associating a note on the staff with a key on the keyboard. Don't get me wrong, I think it's important to know note names. But drilling only note names leaves out an essential step: can you find it on the piano, direct from score to piano. So drill finding the note on the piano, and then say the name of the note.

For people feeling they have to count lines and spaces: I don't know if this is useful, but you might try, after finding the note on the keyboard, calling out the name of the note, whether it's a line or space note, and which line or space it is on. You might not even need the numbers of the lines or spaces, if you can simply practice recognizing the relative position e.g. "treble clef D, line note, line above the middle" or "bass clef C, space note, space just below the middle." (Or you might need to call out the name of the note after identifying its location.)

The locations, without using numbers, might be, for lines: bottom line, line below the middle, middle line, line above the middle, top line. And for spaces: bottom space, space below the middle, space above the middle, and top space.

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 01/22/13 04:01 PM.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by fizikisto
The C on the treble staff is 3 spaces up and the C on the bass staff is 3 spaces down. That symmetry makes them very easy to recognize. Add those to the picture and you have an excellent set of landmark notes.
Ah ha! Now you're getting to the core of my method. I call them target notes, but landmark is exactly the concept I go for. Way easier than fancy sayings. I have 9 of these targets in my method.

Slight modification to your thought though. It's true that the C spaces are also symmetrical, but that won't be the case for other notes on the staff. I find it better to think of all the notes on the treble clef being one higher than the bass clef, and vice versa. So the Cs are 2nd space on the bottom and 3rd space on the top. This will translate to the other notes better. G is on the 1st line on the bass clef and the 2nd line on the treble.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The C on the treble staff is 3 spaces up and the C on the bass staff is 3 spaces down.

Three spaces up and down? They are on lines so I'm not sure what you mean by this. confused I see them ( Cs) as first ledger line above the G clef and second line below the F clef.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
If you're talking about the Cs above the treble staff and below the bass staff, as shown in Evan Murphy's picture of landmark notes shown upthread, then the one above the treble staff is on the second leger line (not the first) above the staff. The one below the bass staff, is as you say, on the second leger line below the staff.

But I believe the quote you cite was talking about two Cs which are not shown at all on Evan Murphy's picture: the Cs which sit squarely inside the treble and bass staffs. Inside the treble staff, C is on the third space up from the bottom. Inside the bass staff, C is on the the third space down from the top.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A quick google search and I found a website that could be useful to others trying to read music better.

http://www.sightreadingpractice.com

Thanks for posting this link Norrec. I've looked for something like this online but this seems better than the ones I found.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You are correct, thanks for clarifying this for me. blush

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Thanks for this. This is bonza.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission