2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
Hi everyone! I've been a lurker on the forums for a good 5 months or so, and I finally decided to register so I could join in the discussion.

I'm 27 years old, and a complete beginner with the piano. I've had some experience playing Viola in the grade school orchestra, but I had little interest at the time. After many years, I finally came to the conclusion that the piano is the instrument that moves me the most emotionally. Needless to say I fell in love with it and I've got a strong desire to play.

I've got a very cheap Yamaha keyboard to start on, but I plan on investing in a digital piano soon like the Yamaha P155. I've ordered Alfred's All-in-One along with the Complete book of scales. I also may have a teacher lined up here pretty soon. As for goals, I want to be able to sight read quickly and accurately as well as improvise and compose. I enjoy classical, jazz, blue, or any piece really that emotionally grabs me. I've got a couple pieces that I'd like to work towards that are quite out-of-reach at the moment.

I have to be honest though - I'm nervous! Excited, but nervous. In my life I've often had a desire to do something, and then never completely followed through. Goals have come and gone, but time still ticks on. I don't want this to be another passed opportunity, but I'd like to look back on life and see that I really followed through with something that greatly interested me.

I also wanted to thank you all for the advice and encouragement posted here daily. You may not know it but there are those, like me, that really get a lot out of a simple piece of critique or push in the right direction.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum,enjoy the journey and have fun!

~Larry

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Welcome to the forum, Eebo Artifact! smile Hang in there... the first few months are tough, but it won't be long before you're making some beautiful music.

M
M
Welcome to the forum Eebo! I wish I had started when I was 27. It's never too late!

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome! 27 is a great age to start! Join the threads dedicated to the Alfred's books.

B
B
Welcome, I started at 21 (24 now) and haven't looked back. Like someone else said, the first few months are rough, but once you get the hang of it, the fun is endless (with intermittent spurts of frustration). I started with a 'toy' keyboard and eventually had to get a digital. I got the KORG SP-250, and it is just great for my purposes. While it takes more than just some spare change, it is not quite as expensive as some other models, and is worth every penny. Enjoy the ride!

Nick
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Welcome.

As far as learning the piano goes ...

All that is really necessary for you to be successful is for you to never quit. Just keep going ... through thick and thin. There will be times when you think you are getting nowhere fast but just keep going.

You may not move along as fast as you think you should. That is a common experience. We all thought we would be much better than we are by now. It is just the nature of the beast.

One final word of advice ... Just keep going ... don't quit.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Originally Posted by Mete
Welcome to the forum Eebo! I wish I had started when I was 27. It's never too late!

Ditto! Welcome and enjoy!! smile

~ Heather smile

Knabe WMV247
“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
“The piano ain't got no wrong notes.” ― Thelonious Monk
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Eebo Artifact
I have to be honest though - I'm nervous! Excited, but nervous. In my life I've often had a desire to do something, and then never completely followed through. Goals have come and gone, but time still ticks on. I don't want this to be another passed opportunity, but I'd like to look back on life and see that I really followed through with something that greatly interested me.

Take things in small steps and just try and get to the piano every single day if for but no more than 30 minutes to an hour, and you'll be flying towards your goals in no time.

Welcome man! It`s never too late to learn to swear . . . . or perhaps you`ve already found that bit out . . good luck and enjoy the activities here!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Welcome aboard. stay positive and dont get discouraged when you come across a difficult piece of music. The greatest feeling in the world is when after you've practiced on something over and over and then, you get it

If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by dmd
One final word of advice ... Just keep going ... don't quit.

This is the only secret.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Hi, Eebo!

What they said: never quit, and you will get farther than you ever dreamed of. That's what I'm hoping, anyway.

I recognize your situation of having had different goals in life, but rarely having followed through. I'm also 27. The difference between you and me is that I quit piano three times already in my lifetime. But like you, I'm more determined than ever now.

Welcome to the journey, fellow traveler. Enjoy!

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
E
OP Offline
E
Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice!

So practice, don't give up, and learn to swear... smile

E
E
I just started 3 months ago as a total newbie! i'm 33. just had my first recital last sunday. you'd be surprised how much you can learn in such short period of time...even i amaze myself at the progress i've made. i think adult learners have the advantage of having more focus and being self motivated =)

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
Dear Eebo Artifact,

Welcome to the forums smile

You really seem to be very passionate about music. It is a very good thing. In a way passion is a sign of natural talent.

Some thoughts that come into my mind through playing and teaching experience when I read your text:

Sometimes the best thing is holding your horses a bit when you are too passionate and using a bit of willpower to go on when the passion seemes to be gone. Practicing steadily but a bit less with high quality might be better than practicing very much but chaotically.

Do not suggest to grab too big mouthfuls smile

Maybe this is nothing new to you but these are just my thoughts. (And I am not trying to tell the absolute truth or sth.)

Best wishes to you and everybody else!

Jaak

piano.social - Learn classical piano with Jaak and socialize with other piano students
MA, teacher and doctoral student of the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission