2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2057790 04/01/13 01:24 PM
J
OP Offline
J
So I've been playing piano for about 2 years now, and have been teaching myself the entire time. This was mostly due to financial issues. Well lucky for me, things have changed and I can finally afford to start taking lessons!

Really nervous about the whole thing though. It'd be one thing if I was brand new, but I'll be going into this with a, more than likely, long list of bad habits and the like. This'll be the first time I've ever played in front of anyone as well (except for the wife).

What should I expect? Any advice?

E
E
Did you pick out a teacher yet? if not, I suggest trying out a few before committing to one. During my search, I found that most piano teachers would give a free 30 minute trial lesson. It gave me a feel for different teaching styles and their personalities. I ended up choosing the one that I felt most comfortable with.

Good luck with piano lessons! Btw, I started out with 30 minute lessons once a week but that only lasted 3 lessons. I now take hour lessons cause it just goes by so fast!

Originally Posted by johnny931
So I've been playing piano for about 2 years now, and have been teaching myself the entire time. This was mostly due to financial issues. Well lucky for me, things have changed and I can finally afford to start taking lessons!

Really nervous about the whole thing though. It'd be one thing if I was brand new, but I'll be going into this with a, more than likely, long list of bad habits and the like. This'll be the first time I've ever played in front of anyone as well (except for the wife).

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
I was in your same shoes last August. I had been teaching myself for about 2 yrs and my wife and kids bought me 11 introductory lessons.
I too was very nervous the first few times. In fact, I still with less inhibition at home than I do at lessons.

But, my sight reading has improved immensly and I am learning that I was developing bad habits that I didn't know about.

I think the key is to be up front with the teahcer and have a set of goals that will help him/her guide you on your way. Figure out what genre you prefer to play and ask the instructor for suggestions along those lines.

One thing that has stuck with me since I have started lessons. My instructor told me he sees a lot of adults want everything perfect before moving on. We tend to stop when we make a mistake and we get frustrated when we have a problem. Kids tend to be more relaxed about making a mistake. So, I try to tell myself not to be so hard on myself and that I am still a novice! I WILL make mistakes. That way, I don't tend to get as frustrated and there is less fear that I will quit.

Started Playing May 2010 at 51 yrs old, Some Self Learning, Lessons X 3yrs
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
No need to be nervous, this is going to be a lot of fun. I did the same thing a few years ago and taking lessons is great. One piece of advice, don't think about it in terms of breaking some bad habits, that is too negative and hard to do. Rather, just sit down to that first lesson thinking: "I am starting something new, teach me what to do." Some of what the teacher tells you will be easy to understand and to perform because you have already done it on your own. Other things will be harder because they are different than the way you have been doing them. That will be the most fun because it it why you decided to get some help. You aren't breaking old habits, you are creating new ones.

Good luck Johnny, you are taking an exciting next step.

[Linked Image]
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Cobra1365
I was in your same shoes last August. I had been teaching myself for about 2 yrs and my wife and kids bought me 11 introductory lessons.
I too was very nervous the first few times. In fact, I still with less inhibition at home than I do at lessons.

But, my sight reading has improved immensly and I am learning that I was developing bad habits that I didn't know about.

I think the key is to be up front with the teahcer and have a set of goals that will help him/her guide you on your way. Figure out what genre you prefer to play and ask the instructor for suggestions along those lines.

One thing that has stuck with me since I have started lessons. My instructor told me he sees a lot of adults want everything perfect before moving on. We tend to stop when we make a mistake and we get frustrated when we have a problem. Kids tend to be more relaxed about making a mistake. So, I try to tell myself not to be so hard on myself and that I am still a novice! I WILL make mistakes. That way, I don't tend to get as frustrated and there is less fear that I will quit.

That last part really hits home with me!
I've spent SO MUCH TIME on pieces because I just can't force myself to move on to the next part until I get the part I'm on completely perfect. Can be quite annoying sometimes!

W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W

If you're like me, you're going to be a wreck for your audition and play abysmally. But your teacher is probably going to be used to that.

If you have a strong idea about your musical tastes and goals, it'll be good to express that. I'm currently studying under the best teacher I've ever had, and a huge part of that is that he combines great technical and interpretive expertise (as a professional musician) with a genuine depth of interest and familiarity with the genre that I'm focusing on.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Unless you select an ogre for a teacher, you're going to have a blast for the first few lessons, regardless of the teacher you choose. You'll be soaking up knowledge, ideas, and technical tips. But if you can find a piano teacher who is genuinely comfortable with adult learners, and perhaps even experienced in working with them, the chances of an enduring rapport are better.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B

Like when you play around or in front of your wife, you'll probably want to please your audience (your teacher), but this is the wrong mindset. Your teacher is there to take you from where you are in the present to where you want to be in your goals, but they can only do this if you're 100% truthful in your playing and in discussing your habits, so be completely honest and open with them; it will feel very awkward and uncomfortable at first, feeling like a child again but in an adult's body, but with sincerity and time, you will adapt and come to love every minute of it.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
ElleC makes a good point: do not start with 30 minute lessons unless you really cannot afford more. You will need 45-60 minutes per week.

When you play for your teacher, don't think of it as a performance, but rather sharing what you've worked on with someone who is on your side and wants you to succeed and can help you get there. While you are playing, don't think about things outside the music itself - it's very easy to get distracted and start thinking, "Oh, I wonder if they're cringing at hearing me butcher this piece!" which then causes you not to focus on the task at hand. Play and let them deal with the results.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
... it's very easy to get distracted and start thinking, "Oh, I wonder if they're cringing at hearing me butcher this piece!" which then causes you not to focus on the task at hand. Play and let them deal with the results.

I used to have this pretty severely, because in fact I do cringe at hearing myself butcher every piece. But I quit worrying about it when I realized that listening to students play is pretty much what being a piano teacher is all about.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Learner
K
K
Originally Posted by malkin
Originally Posted by Morodiene
... it's very easy to get distracted and start thinking, "Oh, I wonder if they're cringing at hearing me butcher this piece!" which then causes you not to focus on the task at hand. Play and let them deal with the results.

I used to have this pretty severely, because in fact I do cringe at hearing myself butcher every piece. But I quit worrying about it when I realized that listening to students play is pretty much what being a piano teacher is all about.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

My word is 'painful' and my teacher always finds a positive way to not call it painful. But I LOVE when the studio is empty as I worry less.

Alfred Adult Level One graduated 2010
I've been taking lessons since 2005

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission