2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Colin Miles, bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
Hi,

Are there tips on how to become better at adjusting to different pianos?

The problem is this: At home I have a Kawai ES7. I like it a lot it has a nice sound to me and a nice touch. Though at school I have to play a Boston Acoustic grand piano. A very nice instrument without doubt. But the feel of the keys quite different. The action is substantially heavier compared to my ES7.

The problem is that it's very hard for me to adjst well and during class I don't have mmuch time to adjust to the piano. I guess this is one of the reasons I perform substantially less good in class compared to at home. Especially making the differences between piano and forte is harder. (knowing where to put my fingers is always difficult but that's no surprise for a novice like me)

What can I do to overcome this to some extent? One hint I took from my teacher was to crank down the volume on my piano at home so I'm already forced to play harder. This helped some but not that much either. I actually even consider seraching another digtal slab/stage piano with a heavier action but I guess that should be a last resort.

Now I'm only taking piano lessons for a mere 3 months starting from scratch. Maybe I'm expecting too much from myself.

Thanks for your insight people.

Wouter.

M
M
wouter,
You don't say if you've tried the HEAVY or HEAVY+ setting for touch on the ES7. That might help a little. There are also various other settings you might tweak to improve the experience.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
This is just me theorizing, however I don't think it's a coincidence that beginners - those pianists with inefficient and/or undeveloped techniques - have the most trouble adjusting between the subtly different playing mechanisms of various pianos. Let's first recognize that what's ultimately necessary of a piano technique is the ability to depress a key at various degrees of swiftness (some may argue at various degrees of strength, but they're wrong - all strength ultimately does is produce a swifter key strike). Now obviously an accompanying goal is to be able to do this with as much precision and as little effort as is possible in order to produce the desired result. Let's look now at each of the two ends of the spectrum of a modern piano technique.

Let's look first at what is widely accepted as an efficient and healthful technique and second at what is generally considered not to be efficient or particularly safe.
The word “technique” means the method or means we use for accomplishing a complex task. It is usually applied to complex tasks in the arts (painting, playing a musical instrument), sports (tennis serve, golf swing), and laboratory science (identifying genes, measuring air pollutants). A technique may be easy or difficult to learn, safe for the user or unsafe, efficient or not. An efficient technique results in the task being performed with minimal energy used, that is, only the amount of energy needed for the job.

In piano playing, an efficient technique is a well-coordinated technique. It means that:

The player is aware of the state of her/her body and senses when muscles are contracted or released and how the body is aligned.

The player knows which muscles are needed to perform a particular task and can control their use.

The player knows which muscles are not needed for that task and can inhibit or prevent their contraction.

The player understands that efficient performance of the task involves awareness and control of all parts of the musculo-skeletal system, which is to say “whole body” coordination. In both music and sports, the whole body contributes to performance.

Through a combination of utilization and inhibition of parts of the whole body - not just fingers, but torso, shoulders, elbows, wrists, etc. - as well as gravity, it's easy and effortless to produce a very wide range of key strikes via a wide range of newtons of force produced (force being mass x acceleration; if it's not obvious, the variable mass is fixed because it's simply the hammer that is striking the piano string). What's more is that it's easy to blindly reproduce a similar key strike each and every time because for each result desired, there's a wide range of forces producible that will each yield a result similar to the one that's desired.

Let's assume the most common inefficient piano technique is one that relies solely on the fingers to produce the desired sounds. It need not be explained that the fingers alone can produce very little force (remember that formula?). Because the range of force able to be produced is so very small and insignificant, each newton of force producible has far greater variance from one another. As such, it's far more difficult to blindly reproduce a specifically desired key strike with each and every attempt.

I highly recommend you read the following for a brief history of the keyboard and its various schools of technique: http://practisingthepiano.com/history-piano-technique-part-1/

Forum member zrtf90 contributed an invigorating post just recently on the topic at this thread here (the whole thread is worth reading): https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...ver_from_4th_to_1st_fin.html#Post2192307

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Wouter,

I've been taking lessons exactly one year longer than you. I started on a Roland digital stage piano which, as digital pianos go, wasn't half bad in terms of both touch and sound. The piano at school is a Yamaha grand piano. I used to think of it as a piano with a heavy action.

I now have a Boston grand piano at home. It makes the Yamaha feel like the grand with the lightest action in the world.

Moral of the story: every piano you will ever play will have a different feel than the one you have at home. I'm convinced that even if you got the exact same piano you play at school, it would still feel different. Yours presumably wouldn't be nearly as worn out from being played five hours or more six days a week — not to mention all the abuse school pianos take from clueless beginners and angry kids being forced to take lessons.

I can tell you from personal experience: the more you play, the less it will matter which instrument you are playing. Some of them, I assume, will always be terrible, but no matter. They say a good musician can coax music out of basically any instrument. The more I play (therefore, presumably, the better I get at it), the more I believe this is true. So just give yourself some time to get better, and soon you won't worry so much about differences in feel anymore.

Also, cut yourself some slack. We all play better at home. Most teachers know this. Also, you are getting thirty minutes a week, at most, to show your teacher what you can do, and as a beginner, you might be getting even less than that. Throw in some obligatory chit-chat before you start in earnest, a couple minutes to get situated, and you're left with maybe twenty minutes of actual, focused lesson time, if you're lucky. That's barely enough to loosen up your fingers, let alone get comfortable.

Stick your piano to its heaviest setting, as suggested above. Then just go wit the flow. It gets better. I promise wink.

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
S
S
Remember when you first learned to drive, and moving to another automobile was a big deal? I think moving to a different piano when you are first learning is a lot like that. The actions will be different on different instruments. Solution? Play lots of different pianos! Make your rounds of the hotel lobbies and piano stores that might have pianos you can play.

I tell my instructor "I did it better at home" all the time, so take heart! She says she hears that a lot. A lot of that is a natural part of learning. You are all of a sudden playing for someone, so there is more pressure.

I could be the instrument too. I play on a digital Yamaha P155 at home. My instructor has a Steinway, but there is one key that drives me nuts because it sticks a little. Of course, she's used to it!

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
E
E
Silver Keys...very good analogy with the car. I used to feel the same way about my teacher's piano. I've been taking lessons from her almost a year now and even though her piano still feels different from mine, I feel like I've gotten somewhat more used to it. Lessons have become a lot less intimidating now that I've adjusted to her piano. I no longer come in with the thought in my head "I'm going to screw it up!"

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks everybody. I'll try to give it some rest and see where I am in ayear from now. I guess that should geive me enough time to see wheter or not I can adjust better to different instruments. And truth be told.. I'm not much worse in class than I am bad at home. LOL. It's jsut that I tend to have much more silent notes because I don't strike the keys hard enough at school. Maybe I can ask wheter or not ist's possible to come and play that piano when the teacher is not there. Giving me some more time to train strenght and get used to heavier action piano's. Saranoya's right about getting actually not much more than 20m of actual piano time eacjht class. probaly that isn't nearly enough to get connected with the instrument. At home I often play several 10-30m sessions a day. (my teacher told me it's better to do several sort but well focused sessions than one very long one, seems to work pretty well for me as my progress is going well, working on double notes and moving fingers away from a base starting position.)

Kind regards,

Wouter.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . .
Stick your piano to its heaviest setting, as suggested above. . . .

+1. It's helping me with a Casio PX-350. The "heavy touch" setting requires more work to get to "ff".

. Charles

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 12/06/13 10:54 AM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I'm going to suggest something that may or may not be the issue. From my own experience, since one can adjust the volume of a digital piano, many people play and practice at a lower volume that one gets from an acoustic. So when your move from your practice DP to your class acoustic, you are automatically, without really being aware of it, trying to play softer because the sound is louder than you are used to. In this case, the issue isn't that the piano touch is so different, it is that you are unconsciously changing your touch because the sound is so different, that is louder.

Just a thought,

-SoundThumb

[Linked Image]
S
S
I can relate to SoundThumb! I will occasionally slam down these massive bass notes on my instructor's acoustic piano because I am used to playing on my digital with the volume down!

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Driving a different car still requires an adjustment for me, but it is quicker now than it was decades ago.

Learner
J
J
I think it can only be beneficial playing on other pianos, as we can't always just stick to our own in the future. We need to be versatile.
That said, I'm very used to my own upright and it's wierd to play on my Aunt's grand- it is a lot harder to get the sound from, I really have to press hard. Her upright is the opposite, and sounds 'plingy' compared to mine.

Inspired by Einaudi and Tiersen.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission