2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 10 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2266682 04/25/14 12:02 AM
M
mojoe Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have been lurking here for several weeks and thought I'd register and tell my tale.

Like many adults, I haven't had any formal instruction, other than "music class" way back in Elementary School (way back - I'm 55). Over the years, I have often thought that it would be nice to learn how to play something other than the radio smile

I enjoy a fairly wide variety of music, from Oldies hits, to Country, Folk, Blues, Jazz, some Classical, etc. I can't stand Rap or Disco, however.

Just over a month ago, I purchased a used Casio PX100. It is the first PX digital piano from Casio, introduced almost ten years ago. I got a very good deal on the Casio and stand. I did have to buy a bench. The Casio is long in the tooth, compared to more modern instruments, but for now, it will do.

Being a self-taught learner all my life, I began with various internet sources (including Youtube), library books and borrowed books. Some of the sources were on music theory, some were method books. One very good source of information and pointers to other information was this forum.

Working my way through all of this material, I soaked up quite a bit of music theory (still working on understanding some of it).

As for actually learning to play, I'm sorry to say that I can't even come close to the person who posted here recently about his playing ability after one month. Some folks are way more talented than I am, apparently. I don't know how much time that piano prodigy is practicing, but I'm getting 30-60 minutes per day.

Two of the method books I borrowed were Alfred adult books, which seem to get high marks on this forum. I was not as happy with them for self teaching. Some of the intro material seemed too basic, and then it seemed to jump into more difficult, two-handed pieces without enough in between (at least for me).

In any event, over the course of five weeks, I managed to play several beginner pieces. Most were for one hand or the other, one was for both hands alternating and one was both hands playing the same notes. I am currently trying to play a piece with a RH melody and a LH harmony with single notes.

I also managed to play the C major scale at a moderate speed with both hands, both inwards and outwards. I sometimes even close my eyes and play the scale. I just started on the G major scale (working around the circle of 5ths). I am also just starting on the triad chords of C, G and F and their inversions.

Having seen many posts here that insist on getting a teacher, I started looking around for one. I can't afford lessons every week, but may be able to manage every other week. One thing that pushed me towards finding a teacher is my difficulty in playing harmony with the left hand, even when I can play the melody easily and at the proper tempo with the right.

Someone on the net (perhaps here) had mentioned that playing with both hands was similar to touch typing. That may be, but I have been touch typing since High School and I'm still having trouble with playing. I can play the same melody with both hands simultaneously, but playing a melody and harmony seems much more difficult.

The first teacher I tried seemed to be in too big a hurry and had his mind elsewhere. His phone rang twice during my lesson. I also felt that I did't get any real instruction that was worth paying for, although it did cost me $20.

My next attempt was with someone who is retired and only teaches on certain days. Try as I might, I could only get a Tuesday night with him. Due to work, Tuesdays are one of the worst days for me. During my lesson, the teacher spent 15 minutes telling me his rules and his personal history. When I finally got to show him what I had been playing, he insisted on playing improvised harmony on another keyboard. This really threw me, as I wasn't used to this. It seems that his preferred method of teaching adults is based on him playing like this while you play. I didn't care for it. Another $20 gone.

The third teacher seemed more promising. We met on a Saturday afternoon (a good time for me) and had a half interview, half lesson that didn't cost me anything. I played for her and she seemed very pleased with my playing and what I had learned in five weeks by myself. One minor point was mentioned about technique. We discussed my being stalled with the LH problem and she showed me her copy of "Adult Piano Adventures". This method book seemed to have more LH exercises that gradually built up. I liked the look of it, so when I got home, I ordered the book.

I have scheduled a lesson with this teacher for two weeks from last Saturday. The method book arrived yesterday, so I'll have time to practice using this new book.

For now, I'm going to go through the Piano Adventures book and have a lesson every two weeks. After a while, I'll see how things progress.

Despite some of the frustrations, I am enoying learning to play the piano. So far, I can only play very simple beginner pieces (as expected), but I look forward to the day when I can play something that sounds like real music smile

Joe

mojoe #2266691 04/25/14 01:24 AM
F
f-a Offline
F
Hey Joe, I am a beginner like you, but I thought I share my experiences on

Originally Posted by mojoe
I can play the same melody with both hands simultaneously, but playing a melody and harmony seems much more difficult.

I had the same problems on even very simple pieces. I fiddled around a bit with my right hand, then left hand, then tried to join the two together for an abysmal result. If I kept fiddling around, no progress was made

What worked for me was going through a couple of bars with an extremely slow tempo, playing both hands. What that means is that your brain will have plenty of time to "see" the score / where the next note will be played on the keyboard.
I keep doing this until my performance over those bars is flawless. No mistakes, no hesitations when switching notes, nothing. I don't know why but this helps me correcting silly mistakes I make every time, once for good.
Once you are confident with that sloow tempo, go a bit faster and finally add some more measures.

I guess it's the old "quality over quantity", it worked for me, I hope it will help you too!

Last edited by f-a; 04/25/14 01:24 AM.
mojoe #2266692 04/25/14 01:28 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Hello Joe,
I have one piece of advice. Playing hands together offers good co-ordination, but new technique is best acquired hands separate, especially practicing scales and arpeggios.
Don't worry about the amount of time it takes. I started playing piano when I was 12, I played casually for 4 or 5 years without much interest and didn't progress much. I started again about a year ago and I've made good progress.

Going through these links helped me a lot

Good luck

mojoe #2266696 04/25/14 01:49 AM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Welcome to the forum mojoe & f-a. Great story about finding a teacher mojoe, imagine if you settled on the first or second one, might have put you of piano.

Yes, there are members who can dazzle and seem to have very quick advancement and I am pleased for them. However in the comfort of our practice environment we are all struggling with many of the same issues and so we only ever see someone's highs never the lows. I mention this because I have just about reached 18 months and although I have had a great time I did find the first year challenging. So remember there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
mojoe #2266698 04/25/14 01:57 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
mojoe:

You are not alone! I started at age 57, two and a half years ago. Progress has been slow but steady. Patience is a virtue, I think, when it comes to the piano.

Try to enjoy the daily process. Find ways to enjoy yourself. Take it slowly. As one of our members here says: It's a journey, not a destination.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
mojoe #2266785 04/25/14 08:48 AM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I'm glad that you searched for a teacher and did not settle with the first two. Sounded like they were duds. $20 a lesson isn't really that much though, so consider yourself lucky and that's money well-spent in figuring out what kind of teacher you need.

Try your best not to compare yourself with others. You have a specific background and talent that is unique to you, as does everyone else, so comparison on where you "should/could" be really isn't helpful because they're not you and you're not them. Instead, set milestones and goals for yourself - long and short term - so that you can have some measure of your progress.

Most importantly, be patient with yourself. Listen to your teacher, and practice the way she shows you in the lessons (this will develop over time as the music gets more complicated). Not all the pieces in method books are great, but look at them as stepping stones toward your goal and practice them diligently to learn the most from everything. If you get bored or discouraged, let your teacher know. She can find other material to work on that can keep it interesting. But really, consistent daily practice will get you where you want to be in the quickest way and that never gets boring!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
mojoe #2266813 04/25/14 10:07 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Joe. Welcome to the ABF.

Many of us have started out right where you are. You are smart to have found a teacher early on... and you will be even smarter if you give your relationship with her two or three months to develop before judging any tangible results.

Unlike many topics that self directed achievers might take on, piano seems to have a time-line that is largely resistant to just adding more effort in return for more results. After a certain level of intelligent daily practice is established, often it is just time that is needed before you can see progress. So it makes sense to cut yourself some slack and find a way to just enjoy the ride. I promise you the results will come and you will be making real music sooner or later.

If you mosey over to the Achievement of the Week thread we will help you celebrate every little step along the way.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
JimF #2267069 04/25/14 06:08 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by JimF
Unlike many topics that self directed achievers might take on, piano seems to have a time-line that is largely resistant to just adding more effort in return for more results.

True. It's also not linear. You may be struggling with a certain thing (like the LH) for a while and suddenly it will just click.

I agree that this teacher seems promising. Sorry you had to go through the duds. Unfortunately most of the people who teach music aren't really qualified to do so. But this teacher seems to be addressing your specific troubles, offered a solution, and suggested a book you didn't have to buy from her. All good signs.

Personally I think 2 months is plenty of time to give a new teacher. Often you'll know before then, but if you've been doing everything assigned and see no real progress in 2 months, there could be a problem. The old "it'll take you YEARS to see real results" is often an excuse for poor teachers.

Look forward to hearing updates. Welcome!

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
mojoe #2267116 04/25/14 07:46 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

Just over a month ago, I purchased a used Casio PX100. ....

As for actually learning to play, I'm sorry to say that I can't even come close to the person who posted here recently about his playing ability after one month. Some folks are way more talented than I am, apparently. I don't know how much time that piano prodigy is practicing, but I'm getting 30-60 minutes per day.

Two of the method books I borrowed were Alfred adult books, which seem to get high marks on this forum. I was not as happy with them for self teaching. Some of the intro material seemed too basic, and then it seemed to jump into more difficult, two-handed pieces without enough in between (at least for me).

Despite some of the frustrations, I am enoying learning to play the piano. So far, I can only play very simple beginner pieces (as expected), but I look forward to the day when I can play something that sounds like real music smile

Joe

Welcome to the forum Joe. One month in and you're already into compare and despair? I often write about the dangers of that. The forum recitals can be especially humbling.

What all beginners need to keep in mind is that it tends to be exceptional people sharing their music early in the process. These are mostly the 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000 exceptions. This is especially true in the recitals. Many above average beginners feel less than because they compare to the top 1%. It is the nature of the forum, and the Internet in general.

To give more perspective there was a thread about Alfred's Book One, asking how long beginners took to finish it. The median time was nine months. Most of those responding were working with a teacher. Even that reported nine months likely skews to the faster learners. Those that are taking two years to finish book one with a teacher are far less likely to post that information, than those that finish quickly.

The forums tend to be dominated by the above average, the talented, the passionate, the dedicated. It is not average to be spending free time on a piano forum after practice, not average to be recording and uploading music. For every person active on the forum there are likely ten that never post, never register. The silent majority often has little to say, and will tend to lag behind.

From reading some of the details you provided, my opinion is that you appear to be another slightly above average beginner (top 25%) that may feel less than because there are some exceptional people on the forum.

Chin up. For almost all of us, piano is a long journey that requires steady and consistent effort. Yes, there some beginners that are amazing, but they tend to be the top 0.1% of beginners. They are not in any way average.

Enjoy the journey.

mojoe #2267236 04/26/14 04:37 AM
P
P
Hello Joe and welcome smile

Nord Piano 3 - Adam A3X - Adam sub 7
YAMAHA N1 - Roland Integra 7
E
E
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger

What all beginners need to keep in mind is that it tends to be exceptional people sharing their music early in the process. These are mostly the 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000 exceptions. This is especially true in the recitals. Many above average beginners feel less than because they compare to the top 1%. It is the nature of the forum, and the Internet in general.

And also keep in mind that the term Adult Beginner is loosely defined as far as submissions to Recitals and Piano Bars are concerned. Basically it is anyone who cares to upload including piano teachers and tutors.

Many of them were Adult Beginners several years ago and that too after multiple years of formal lessons earlier in their younger days.

We hardly ever see any true Adult Beginners with their submissions there.

Last edited by EM Deeka; 04/26/14 08:13 AM.
C
C
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger

Just over a month ago, I purchased a used Casio PX100. ....

Joe

Welcome to the forum Joe. One month in and you're already into compare and despair? I often write about the dangers of that. The forum recitals can be especially humbling.

To give more perspective there was a thread about Alfred's Book One, asking how long beginners took to finish it. The median time was nine months. Most of those responding were working with a teacher. Even that reported nine months likely skews to the faster learners. Those that are taking two years to finish book one with a teacher are far less likely to post that information, than those that finish quickly.

The forums tend to be dominated by the above average, the talented, the passionate, the dedicated. It is not average to be spending free time on a piano forum after practice, not average to be recording and uploading music. For every person active on the forum there are likely ten that never post, never register. The silent majority often has little to say, and will tend to lag behind.

From reading some of the details you provided, my opinion is that you appear to be another slightly above average beginner (top 25%) that may feel less than because there are some exceptional people on the forum.

Chin up. For almost all of us, piano is a long journey that requires steady and consistent effort. Yes, there some beginners that are amazing, but they tend to be the top 0.1% of beginners. They are not in any way average.

Enjoy the journey.

What an inspiring post Sand Tiger! I too am a 4 mos, 52 yo beginner who also felt a bit "slow" after hearing the same piece the OP mentioned. Wow that was very impressive for only playing a short time. Nice to have some perspective.

Yamaha P105, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II Am Concert D, Sennheiser HD650.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.
mojoe #2267530 04/26/14 09:24 PM
S
S
Welcome to the forum! I am a 50-year old beginner and I can tell you playing harmony and melody doesn't just seem hard--it IS hard! When I first started learning hands together, I would hit one note with my left hand and my right would grind to a halt. Be patient, there are no shortcuts, like others said, because you are actually re-wiring your brain in the process of learning piano.

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
mojoe #2267574 04/27/14 01:18 AM
M
mojoe Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. Silver Keys has stated the exact problem that I have. I play the melody with the right, and when it is time for the left hand to play some harmony notes, the right hand crashes to a halt. This doesn't happen if both hands are playing the same notes. I will continue to plug away and eventually my left hand will cooperate.

Joe

mojoe #2267646 04/27/14 08:23 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
For now, I'm going to go through the Piano Adventures book and have a lesson every two weeks. After a while, I'll see how things progress.

If you continue this path, with a teacher and maintain your excellent attitude there is no question that you will improve.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
mojoe #2267653 04/27/14 09:07 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I play the melody with the right, and when it is time for the left hand to play some harmony notes, the right hand crashes to a halt.

Joe, can you play just one measure with both hands, even if it is very slow? If not, can you do one or two beats? Part of a beat? Instead of focusing on what you can't do (yet), find that small amount that you CAN do at a very very slow speed. Then do just that small bit five times perfectly....and stop! Your brain needs time to process this overnight. Next day come back and do it again...then try to do the same just for the next small bit..5X perfect then quit. When both bits feel easy you can try to stitch them together...and so on.

Think small bits . Think slow, slow, slow. Think assimilate overnight. I guarantee you will be playing hands together before long.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
mojoe #2268435 04/28/14 10:59 PM
M
mojoe Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for all the suggestion. If I don't get back here often, it is because I am practicing.

Joe

mojoe #2268487 04/29/14 03:10 AM
A
A
Welcome MoJoe - glad you've find a teacher you're comfortable with. I started about 15 months ago and have found the whole process so very exciting, stimulating, but also extremely challenging - but I find having a lesson every other week helps to keep me grounded and focused - and increases motivation. This site is also invaluable - not sure without it if I'd find the will to contunue when I'm struggling - there's only so much a teacher can do in a half-hour lesson every other week!!

mojoe #2268530 04/29/14 07:03 AM
Hey, Joe, saw your post really enjoyed it. I am 57 years old, nine years ago began learning the piano, and adhere to six months, the 'Bayer' bounced more than 60, then as executive positions, because the work is very busy, piano suspended. Until 18 months ago, I retired again to start learning the piano, looking for a good piano teacher, on average once every two weeks to teacher lesson (60 minutes) on a home. Although often go to other cities, or invited to participate in some home affairs, affecting the piano learning progress, but progress is steady and significant. Really like a journey, will encounter fog and tunnels, but also traffic jams, slow progress, but there is always a better view in front of waiting for you, so that you really enjoy. Slow does not matter, we must insist! Encounter difficulties, slow down one of the most effective ways to slow long enough, left and right hand completely separate pop-up different notes, then gradually speed up.
Best wishes!
Lakeside

Shigeru Kawai SK-3
Kawai CA95(In Haikou City)

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission