2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Cheeto717, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hey guys,

Total beginner here. I started studying on Circle of Fifths. I got a couple questions about that.

- What kind of a benefit should i expect? I know that i will easily know what chord was used in the song as i see the sharps or flats(after learning the circle). Then what? I don't know what it exactly does(simple words please) .

- My tutor gave me a circle which shows all the sharps and flats included in all particular scales. So it is too complicated. When i checked other circle diaghrams i saw that the most of them didn't show which sharps or flats but only how many of them were included(is this sentence gramatically correct?) .

Which one should i go with?

Thanks guys. You are helping a lot.

E
E
Originally Posted by Fatih
- My tutor gave me a circle which shows all the sharps and

Who is the tutor ? Why don't you ask him/her first to explain it to you ?

P
P
Circle of fifths is very helpful to learn. The best thing is to learn to draw the circle of fifths yourself.

First off, do you know what an interval of a fifth is?

Are you familiar with the piano keyboard? ie: can you look at any key on the keyboard and name the note?

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
As a total beginner, I think you have more important things to work on than memorizing the circle of 5ths. Eventually, you will do so ... but I see little value in it at your stage.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As a returning beginner, I found it more useful to memorize the key signatures (flashcards) and do scale exercises on the piano. For my morning exercises, I pick a random flash card and practice that scale. It's a practical application of the Circle of Fifths.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

Total beginner here. I started studying on Circle of Fifths. I got a couple questions about that.

- What kind of a benefit should i expect?

Probably none at the moment but as time goes on and your theory knowledge expands you may find yourself going back to the COF and finding things you don't what to look for at the moment. A bit like being given the Periodic Table when you first start studying science, you have to study more of the subject before the table starts making any sense.

- My tutor gave me a circle which shows all the sharps and flats included in all particular scales. So it is too complicated. When i checked other circle diaghrams i saw that the most of them didn't show which sharps or flats but only how many of them were included(is this sentence gramatically correct?) .

This one tripped me up when I first started as well. So in some of the diagrams the sharps and flats are not shown. Why? because if you know the rule there is no need to show them. Example: the first scale with one sharp is G Major (or E minor) and the sharp is F#, any subsequent scale with sharps will always have an F#, so the next scale (D Major) has two sharps F# and C#, and as per the rule any subsequent scale will include F# & C#. So it is simply a case of remembering the order in which the sharps are added. The same is true for flats, hope that all makes sense.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
What makes even more sense is learning the circle of 4ths.
The strongest harmonic movement in music is a 4th.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle.

Laissez tomber les mains
M
M
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us

I have tried to avoid use of NEMONIC/ACRONMYS in my music study.
Isn't there another one? "Battle ends and father charlie goes down" or some such.
Same with Every Good Boy...
It just seems to add an extra cog in a very complex machine.

Think of a beginner looking at a stave... That note means 'Boy', if it's treble, or 'something about Cows eating Grass' in bass, which means it's a letter, and if I go through my alphabet from middle C I might get lucky and find in about 30 seconds of brain squeezing.

It's like if you wanted to translate something from Latin, would you first convert it into hebrew, then into Dutch then into English?
In my mind, I'd rather just learn Latin! If I know that a note in the first space up in a F clef is that key on my keyboard, job done! It should be quicker for me to play it. No mental translation required. That equals that.

How many of you have memorised a whole song, but couldn't actually say out loud the name of a note or the key it's in?

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I teach All Cows Eat Grass etc every working day. It works.

Laissez tomber les mains
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I teach All Cows Eat Grass etc every working day.

Good for you

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Hey guys,

Re: Circle of Fifths? Should memorize it?

yes

- What kind of a benefit should i expect? I know that i will easily know what chord was used in the song as i see the sharps or flats(after learning the circle). Then what? I don't know what it exactly does(simple words please) .

Circle of fifth is one of the basic elements of music analysis. If you are serious about learning to play music (any music)you should learn music theory

Which one should i go with?

Thanks guys. You are helping a lot.

You only need to learn the sequence F C G D A E B . That is less letters than a single phone number and way less than then number of notes in a simple piece. SHould be doable

You extend this sequence to the right by adding one more sharp to every note

You extend to the left by adding one more flat to each note.

You can thus extend to infinity in both directions. But already the sequence without extension is highly useful

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

... on who?

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Ah, no O or W in music. Now, if only we had words starting with F# and C#! or Gb and Db.

Laissez tomber les mains
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thank you all guys. I guess i was being a little modest when i said i was a total beginner. I can do some sight reading and play several songs. My level might be pre-intermediate smile .

-EM_Deeka, the tutor is not capable of explain me what this is used for. So, useless to ask her.

-Yes, i know what fifth interval means. But i don't think i get why this circle works with 5 steps? Why not 4?

Thanks to you , now i know what it is used for. I downloaded and printed it. Instead of just reading it i will play some of the scales everyday. As you said learning accidentals of every scale is so easy. I guess i already got the most of it.

Last edited by Fatih; 02/05/15 03:53 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Re: the 4th and 5th intervals

Technically it should be called the "Circle of 4th, 5th and 6th Intervals" because all are needed to complete the circle. The scales on the right are the 5ths. The scales on the left are the 4ths. The scales in the center are the 6ths which are the relative minor scales and share the same key signatures of their major scales.

Last edited by Groove On; 02/05/15 04:57 PM.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
To get the circle of 4ths you simply read the circle in the opposite direction, since a perfect 5th turned upside down becomes a perfect 4th.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by RaggedKeyPresser
To get the circle of 4ths you simply read the circle in the opposite direction, since a perfect 5th turned upside down becomes a perfect 4th.
Yeh. In music 5+4=8.

Laissez tomber les mains
P
P
Thank you all guys. I guess i was being a little modest when i said i was a total beginner. I can do some sight reading and play several songs. My level might be pre-intermediate smile .

-EM_Deeka, the tutor is not capable of explain me what this is used for. So, useless to ask her.

-Yes, i know what fifth interval means. But i don't think i get why this circle works with 5 steps? Why not 4?

Thanks to you , now i know what it is used for. I downloaded and printed it. Instead of just reading it i will play some of the scales everyday. As you said learning accidentals of every scale is so easy. I guess i already got the most of it.

The circle clockwise goes in 5ths... counterclockwise in 4ths. 5ths and 4ths are very convenient because when you go up in fifths... you add sharps... when you go up in 4ths... you add flats

key of C has no sharps. G has 1 sharp. D has the same sharp G plus one more. A has the same sharps D has plus one more.

This makes it easy to construct the keysignature of any key.

Also to know which sharps to add... start with F# in the key of G... and go up in 5ths.

The key of C has no sharps
The key of G has 1 sharp.... F#
The key of D has 2 sharps... F# and C#(which is a fifth up from F#)
The key of A has 3 sharps... F#,C#,G# (G# is a fifth up from C#).

Counterclockwise works the same way, but with 4ths and flats.

The key of C has no flats
The key of F has 1 flat.... Bb
The key of Bb has 2 flats... Bb and Eb(which is a fourth up from Bb)
The key of Ab has 3 flats... Bb,Eb,Ab (Ab is a fourth up from Eb).

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Whether you think of them in 5th or 4ths, you're either adding a sharp/losing a flat or adding a flat/losing a sharp.

The main point in learning the circle is to see how keys are related. For example, play a D and A scale and see how the shape of the scales are only 1 note different and feel very similar under the hands.

It also helps in composition when you want to change keys. The more the scales are related (closer to each other on the circle), the smoother the transitions. That's why a song that goes from D to E is less dramatic than a song that goes from D to Eb.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission