2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
I've been playing piano for 6 months and I'm looking for some easy Chopin pieces to learn. It's easy enough to google "easy Chopin pieces", but the problem is that I play on a keyboard that only has 5 octaves and no sustain pedal and this has prevented me from learning some pieces that would otherwise be good for a beginner.

So I would like some suggestions of easy Chopin pieces that I can play with the constraints I have, thanks in advance smile

Last edited by Some Pianist; 07/29/15 03:22 PM.
D
D
Hello thanks for joining, unfortunately, for Chopin and much of Romantic works, you will need a sustain pedal to be able to work through pieces and develop a sense of what you are articulating and so forth. But just to learn the notes and play through and memorize, you can do Chopin then. I recommend a few of his preludes which are short and pretty and can be learned slowly , you will still need pedal though eventually to tie everthing you learned togeother.

debussychopin.
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
I'm afraid it's difficult. Chopin without pedal would be quite dry and there are very few easy pieces by Chopin anyway...

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
how about his idol Mozart? smile

should be enough trouble already

Last edited by Doritos Flavoured; 07/29/15 03:30 PM.

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by outo
I'm afraid it's difficult. Chopin without pedal would be quite dry and there are very few easy pieces by Chopin anyway...

Yes ... I was going to question whether "Chopin" and "Easy" belong in the same sentence.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Neither I'd put Mozart and easy in the same statement....

1) does the keyboard have weighted keys? (at least) or is really a -keyboard- and not a digital piano?
if so think about moving to a digital piano like a yamaha P105 or something like that.

2) 6 month it's very very very little time, especially as self learner... if your target is to play chopin, even some easier preludes, I'd suggest you start considering a) a real digital piano b) a teacher even if 30 minutes every 2 weeks just to have a minimum of guidance toward your goals.

J
J
I recommend Prelude 4, a lot of repeated chords and simple melody and it's incredible how differently everyone interprets it.

D
D
Originally Posted by joonsang
I recommend Prelude 4, a lot of repeated chords and simple melody and it's incredible how differently everyone interprets it.

without pedal , this one won't be a great practice value for a beginner, but not much else in the Chopin world though. THey are all tough!

debussychopin.
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all the answers, seems like I'll have to hold off on the Chopin until I get some better equipment. I'm pretty sure I could play something like his Waltz Op. Posth. No. 19 in A Minor if I just had the extra octaves. That one seems rather simple if I get the trills down.

Last edited by Some Pianist; 07/29/15 04:47 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Some Pianist
Thanks for all the answers, seems like I'll have to hold off on the Chopin until I get some better equipment. I'm pretty sure I could play something like his Waltz Op. Posth. No. 19 in A Minor if I just had the extra octaves. That one seems rather simple if I get the trills down.

well, at least start listening to the "right" people interpreting Chopin :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXhhYLMVMAc

Sokolov is a good one, Maria Joao Pires another one, or Zimerman

S
S
When I read the title I was going to suggest Prelude no. 6 however, to re-iterate what the others have said, you won't get much satisfaction from it if you don't have a sustain pedal or the control of weighted keys.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Some Pianist
I play on a keyboard that only has 5 octaves and no sustain pedal ...

It should have a place to plug one in, usually a 1/4" phone jack. Typically the pedal is just a momentary contact switch -- like a doorbell button. You should buy or make one for this keyboard, or upgrade to a better keyboard.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by outo

Yes ... I was going to question whether "Chopin" and "Easy" belong in the same sentence.

That's too funny, I remember my teacher telling me I was ready for easy Chopin and my first was the Am waltz. Once I played it I felt great but when she gave it to me I asked if it was a joke as it didn't seem easy! She said it's not easy! It's easy Chopin! Then I got it what she meant.

I do remember my kid played an easy piece when she was younger, The Maiden's Waltz I think. If I remember correctly five octaves would be enough. However, it be more simple than what you're lookin to play.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
If you are interested in easy arrangements rather than the original compositions, you might consider this:

Simply Chopin

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Or you could get some nice recordings to play in your ipod!

Learner
I recommend Prelude 4

How in the name of all that's holy do you play the last three chords with one hand, given that the the other hand is four yards down the keyboard to the left?

S
S
I'd also recommend the e minor prelude (no.4). It was (and still is) the first Chopin piece I managed to successfully learn. The repetitive left hand will also help mask your lack of a pedal.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Purkoy
I recommend Prelude 4

How in the name of all that's holy do you play the last three chords with one hand, given that the the other hand is four yards down the keyboard to the left?

If they are too big, you can modify them a bit. I leave out the lower E on the first one. The others I can handle as such.

But of course this piece doesn't really work at all without the pedal. THe left hand will sound horrible...

Last edited by outo; 07/30/15 07:45 AM.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Purkoy
I recommend Prelude 4

are you a kid or have small hands?

those are pretty standard chords in an octave span...

and BTW, yes, that is probably the easiest Chopin piece I've ever saw... I've probably heard it before, but never saw the score

sadly, I'm not sure it helps at all to get to his tougher works, full of large jumps and the ever scary multirhythms...

Last edited by Doritos Flavoured; 07/30/15 03:13 PM.

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission