2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
rnd34 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
See this image: http://imgur.com/DzlA4CS

Why do the dotted eight notes in the treble have two beams? I'm pretty sure they are still eight notes (or else the measure doesn't add up since the time signature of the whole piece is 6/8), so why is there an extra beam?

Is there some special significance? Why not just skip that beam and have the other (double-beam) up at top instead?

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
That is because those notes serve two roles, as part of the accompaniment figure in 12, and part of the melody in 4. The upward beams indicate the melody, while the downward beams indicate the accompaniment figure.

Semipro Tech
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I think that it is to show you to hold the A, B, C and D for 1 and 1/2 beats while you play the other 2 notes in your RH.

R
rnd34 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Wow, so this piece had me quite confused for a while, but with your help I think I understand how to read it.

What had me confused is that the math doesn't add up if you count the melody notes (the dotted A B C D) as dotted 8th notes, since that exceeds the 6/8 note budget for the measure.

If I understand the notation correctly there are actually two voices in the treble, one with 12 eights and one with 4 dotted quarters. Is it common to 'superimpose' voices in sheet music like this, and does it have some kind of name?

Also, how do I play it? Simply hit the treble/bass notes at the same time but hold the dotted notes for an extra half beat? The reason I'm unsure is because later parts of the same piece follows a 3:2 polyrhythm, but as far as I understand the part in the image is a simple 1:1 rhythm?

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by rnd34
Wow, so this piece had me quite confused for a while, but with your help I think I understand how to read it.

What had me confused is that the math doesn't add up if you count the melody notes (the dotted A B C D) as dotted 8th notes, since that exceeds the 6/8 note budget for the measure.

If I understand the notation correctly there are actually two voices in the treble, one with 12 eights and one with 4 dotted quarters. Is it common to 'superimpose' voices in sheet music like this, and does it have some kind of name?

Also, how do I play it? Simply hit the treble/bass notes at the same time but hold the dotted notes for an extra half beat? The reason I'm unsure is because later parts of the same piece follows a 3:2 polyrhythm, but as far as I understand the part in the image is a simple 1:1 rhythm?

I think you want to voice the top notes, that is the dotted 8ths A,B,C,D and bring those out as the melody. You may not be able to hold the D the full 1.5 beats because you will be reaching more than a octave with your thumb to hit middle C - depends on your reach. Not sure why this was written in 6/8 time. Think it would have made more sense to write it in 3/4 time.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Also, how do I play it? Simply hit the treble/bass notes at the same time but hold the dotted notes for an extra half beat?

If you're holding the pedal down, just be sure you're hitting the top beam notes stronger than the bottom beams. If you aren't holding the pedal, it could be a little trickier. You'll need to hold the top notes while you play the bottom 2 after them. Overall, the RH notes should have a feel of DA da da DA da da DA da da, etc.
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
Not sure why this was written in 6/8 time. Think it would have made more sense to write it in 3/4 time.

It's 6/8 because of the division of the notes. In 6/8 time, the eighth notes are grouped in threes, so you have 2 groups of 3 notes. It also can be evenly divided down the measure, giving it a sort of 2 beat feel. In 3/4, the notes are grouped in twos, so 3 groups of 2, and the measure is now cut in 3 instead of 2. So although mathematically they are the same, the difference is how it feels and where the secondary beat pulses are.

6/8: ONE two three FOUR five six - 2 main pulses

3/4: ONE and TWO and THREE and - 3 main pulses

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P

No, it comes out just right. A dotted 8th note take 1.5 times the time of a regular eighth note. Add up the time for the four dotted eighth notes and you get the time for 4 * 1.5 = 6 regular eighth notes.

If I understand the notation correctly there are actually two voices in the treble, one with 12 eights and one with 4 dotted quarters.

You're right that there are two voices in the treble. Your note names are off. One voice has 12 sixteenth notes and the other voice has 4 dotted eighth notes.

Is it common to 'superimpose' voices in sheet music like this, and does it have some kind of name?

It's common to have multiple voices in music. Whenever two voices overlap on a pitch, you need a solution. One solution is using one notehead with two stems. Another solution is writing two noteheads on the same pitch, side-by-side. I don't know the name for it, although I imagine that at least for music engravers it has a name.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
The arithmetic is fine, though it looks a little confusing. The dots apply to the quavers (eighth-notes) with the upward stems, and a dotted eighth-note is three sixteenths, giving six sixteenths across the beam, same as for the lower double beam. There's an old maxim in mathematics, 'let the notation do the work', but sometimes music notation creates a little more work for comprehension!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission