2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2509666 02/12/16 04:20 AM
H
hyena Offline OP
OP Offline
H
So, I've been playing piano for about six years, so I'm not sure if this is the right thread, though the question is actually pretty beginner. It's about rhythm.

I taught my self playing piano, with the use of Youtube and such. The thing is, I never really practiced rhythm a lot, because after doing it a few times, I thought I already knew, and I was somehow convinced that my style of playing doesn't involve a repetitive rhythm.

But now that I started playing with other people, I've discovered my rhythm sucks. People can't easily play with me, since my playing is very chaotic and unpredictable. I have trouble tuning in to their rhythm as well.

There are a lot of videos on Youtube, but they're all for beginners with boring block chords. I don't find it hard to follow. But my question is, how do I practice rhythm, at the level I'm currently at. To give you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrf0Z0rAfwE

It doesn't take long to notice that this doesn't really follow a rhythm either. So how do I fix this? Do I just play how I always play, though just turn on the metronome and follow it? If the rhythm is a 4 beat, should I only play the amount of notes in that 4 beat, or either that number multiplied? (4-8-16 for example)

Thanks for reading.

hyena #2509681 02/12/16 05:41 AM
M
M
It's a common pitfall that if you only play alone, and don't use a metronome, you have nothing to check your rhythm against.

Playing a note when you think it should be played feels artistic, and satisying. Keeping along with a steady beat feels regimented and requires extra concentration.

There are lots of good resources on youtube for developing a better internal rhythm. But if you don't have this skill yet, simply practice with a metronome and it will improve.

hyena #2509689 02/12/16 06:18 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
http://irealpro.com/
Great to practise

hyena #2509695 02/12/16 07:08 AM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
First, I'd tell you to slow down what you are doing. Yep it sounded pretty chaotic other than the sections around 0:35 or 01:25 or so.

Decide whether you are going to be a musician who plays tunes for your audiences, or you are going to demonstrate some techniques that you've learned so far and just happen to throw a tune in there with the demonstration.

Learn to use different rhythm patterns with different tunes that you want to play, there are plenty of patterns and plenty of tutorials at youtube, etc. about doing that which go further than block chords. If you listen carefully to recordings, your ears can separate the RH from the LH rhythm going on when someone is playing ... you'll begin to hear the different types of boom chucks, short arps, rolling tenths, New Orleans style, shuffles and on and on ... then sit down and try it for yourself playing them slow.

Here's an example, pretty straightforward, easy to follow by watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bl...&annotation_id=annotation_3498503333

I'd say a meter is not much use right now until you get the jumping from technique to technique out of your system rather than listening to and cleanly playing tunes from start to finish ... then add some contrasts later without going overboard.

Other than that, it sounds like the physical aspect of you're playing has moved along a little quicker than the musicality. You got talent and youth working in your favor, ponder a bit how you are gonna use it plus have some fun with it.

Last edited by Rerun; 02/12/16 07:28 AM.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

Rerun #2509712 02/12/16 08:34 AM
H
hyena Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks, your comment helped a lot!

I indeed just put a lot of techniques together, which probably don't add much to the songs unity. Never really thought about it, actually. No one ever mentioned it too. So that's great feedback smile

The videos are pretty good to follow too. Do you know any more channels like this?

Thanks!

hyena #2509740 02/12/16 09:53 AM
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Thanks for the vid. h.
I'll try to find the link, but there was a rock pianist that said, piano is a percussion instrument. Say you know what you want to play. Can you bongo the rhythm out with your palms before you play it? There was a good old instructor on here that agreed with my method so I stand by it. Especially for those very syncopated polyrhythms. But also for internalizing the groove/beat.

nada
Farmerjones #2509741 02/12/16 10:01 AM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

other tutorial vids, etc.

Good morning H ... I'll follow up on what FJ just added by asking what types of tunes do you or your group want to play? Latin's fun ... not particularly easy to start off with I guess ... unless you're Latin of course. grin

Rerun

[Linked Image]

hyena #2509765 02/12/16 11:21 AM
H
hyena Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I enjoy 'romance' piano, Francis Lai for example. Thus I guess that's mostly close to classical? But this is mostly for solo playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGEb15P86L4

I also like smooth jazz and blues. Not sure what the correct name is. Some songs of Chet Baker for example. Also things like "Concierto de Aranjuez", that really calming Jazz.

But yes, I'm still discovering many styles actually. I don't really know all names either. I'm not so much into salsa, thus lating isn't what I really like, I guess?

hyena #2509798 02/12/16 12:18 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

Take that Lai tune you just posted ... listen to that LH carefully. How many tones is he playing before he repeats that beginning bass line pattern ... also at about 01:02, how many chucks does he start playing after each boom? Your ears will start picking up on how he's varying the LH bass. That tune's not too hard to begin playing on your keyboard from start to finish without the runs, etc.

As to the Latin, I think FJ was just using the "bongoing" as a substitute for "drumming" out rhythm to get a sense of what is pushing that sound along. This guy does it at the start on the top of his piano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi0cLdJCgTA

Rerun

[Linked Image]

hyena #2509803 02/12/16 12:37 PM
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by hyena
how do I fix this? Do I just play how I always play, though just turn on the metronome and follow it? ...

That would be good place to start.

None of the styles you are using, or any style of playing are contrary to playing with a solid rhythm. Some things, like the Love Story theme can seem to come more alive with expressive playing and tempo rubato. There are many more places though, where you really don't want to mess with the tempo much; most classical, most rock, most pop, anything where people may want to dance & playing with others. Also, the most effective rubato stems from having a solid rhythm first. So, you really do want to get this dialed in. Too much of anything is never usually very good.

If you were to use the Love Story theme for example you should be able to play to a metronome (drop the intro for now, and no need to change the style you are using). When you can play this to a solid meter, then go back and consider how you may make more expressive and perhaps with a moderate use of tempo Rubato. Then go back and add a new intro (4 bars is good) that reintroduces the theme from a less extreme starting point, suggested.

BTW, I had some serious growing up to do with this issue. It didn't take that long and it is very fixable. smile

hyena #2509824 02/12/16 01:12 PM
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Another trick from another Mentor: Start playing with the nome, then walk out of the room then back in, while still playing. Are you still in time?

I know you can't drag a piano out of the room, stroll around then return. But one could easily make a click track that fades out then back in. A smart person would make an app where all elements were adjustable, and sell it for a buck. The Fading Metronome. That's free to use, anyone. I hereby relinquish all rights to said app.

nada
hyena #2510075 02/13/16 07:11 AM
H
hyena Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks for all the responses, they've been a great help!

I've now been practicing the video R sent, The Taxpayers Blues. Using a 65 BPM rhythm. One hand is pretty easy, though when I start to add the other hand I lose the rhythm. Still, it's a great practice smile

Yeah FJ, that probably be a nice way as well! Though first I gotta follow it solid with two hands, while I can still hear it. With pop following the rhythm is quite easy though, blues a lot harder. So that's good practice too.

Last edited by hyena; 02/13/16 09:17 AM.
hyena #2510095 02/13/16 09:51 AM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

One hand is pretty easy, though when I start to add the other hand I lose the rhythm.

Yep, I remember going thru that too ... shuffle variations are a bit tricky getting both hands onboard, but once you've got it, you own it for life. But, it's lots of fun solving musical puzzles like this with the ears and hands.

Rerun

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission