2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
So, a month and something on into the life of our new piano, and I am starting to get irked by myself..

Self teaching is proving difficult! All the time I feel like I am taking two steps forward, then finding out I need to take another step back.

So, I have put up an add for a piano teacher locally - hoping someone responds. The teachers which are easily found are all engaged at a music school, and their rates are more than a little steep, and the times prove difficult to rhyme with our agendas.
The nice old lady with conservatory training who was recommended to me by a neighbour turned out has deceased.

I hope to get some responses from the add but - how do I know someone is actually any good? Perhaps this is a little too broad of a question =_=

Last edited by Goss; 01/16/17 11:40 AM.

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Piano study is hard and doing it on your own often doesn't go as well, even if you are putting forth consistent effort. So a teacher, if you can find one that works well with you, is a great idea.

Have you checked with your local piano or sheet music dealers? Often they know who is teaching in the area. Also, there may be a local music teachers guild you can talk to. I know in the US we have a few of those resources.

There also may be fine teachers at a local performing arts school. Not conservatory level, more like for the casual leaner. Many of these places have lots of kids taking dance and various music lessons, but you may find a good piano teacher there.

Now onto what "good" is:

- Experienced in teaching adult students
- Is professional - meaning they take their lesson times with you seriously and show up on time and are consistent week to week, have some form of a policy that is fair to both you and the teacher
- Someone with whom you have a good rapport and you feel can effectively communicate with you
- Understands your goals and can outline a good general plan on how to get you there
- Can make suggestions regarding the particular issues you are having after observing your playing

Of course, all but the first two of the above things can only be found out through a trial lesson. I highly recommend doing this, and expect to have to pay for their time.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
L
The key to learning by yourself is good materials. I highly recommend the Fundamental Keys books.

Here are the four killer mistakes most music teachers make:

1) They think it's a recital not a lesson. If your teacher is playing all the time find another teacher.

2) Every lesson is a first lesson. If your teacher can't remember your name, what you were working on or what your problems are find another teacher.

3) Every student the same. If you hear something like 'All my students do this and then that and then this' find another teacher.

4) Not teaching appropriately for your level. If they expect you to play your basic pieces like a concert pianist find another teacher.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
I agree with Morodiene, but just one addition to 'rapport'... It may take a while to determine if this is the 'right teacher' for you based on personality. With my current teacher, she was able to identify problem areas, verbally give suggestions, and demonstrate those suggestions, BUT..

it took about two months until I knew that the rapport was right. I would recommend giving yourself time to evaluate this if all other criteria are met.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Goss
how do I know someone is actually any good?

It's a broad question.

I don't think you can know, certainly not upon a brief assessment. Even with a teacher, learning piano is kind of slow going. It might be quite some time before you can get a sense of whether the teacher is helping.

I think it comes down to:

* Are you able to establish a working rapport?

* Can your teacher identify problems that you did not notice in your own playing?

* When you encounter problems, does your teacher provide you concrete exercises and techniques that, when employed, help you overcome the problems and enrich your problem-solving toolbox?

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
A couple more things about how to tell if the teacher is good:

1. Always has comments on a piece, even when passing you on it. You never hear "just keep working on it" with no elaboration.

2. Answers your questions thoughtfully. Doesn't just say "baecause that's how it's done" and nothing more.

3. If you're struggling with something, tries different explanations, or different exercises, or other teaching techniques to help you learn. Doesn't just repeat themself and expect you to miraculously get it.

Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman. -- Beethoven
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you, all! Some very good suggestions and cautions - I will take them to heart.

In the Netherlands you can also find teachers on the webside of the EPTA.
(op de site van de EPTA kun je ook pianodocenten vinden, je kunt zoeken op woonplaats. Als ze lid zijn dan weet je in ieder geval dat ze aan bepaalde kwaliteitseisen voldoen).
If you live close to Leiden, I know some teachers. And you are welcome to visit a pianoparty.
(Ik organiseer ongeveer eens in de zes weken een pianoavond voor amateurs, toegang is gratis, ik vraag alleen een paar euro voor de koffie/thee en drankje in de pauze).

Yamaha CLP-535.
Host of piano parties in Leiden (The Netherlands)
Autistic
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Peter for the tip and invitation - in regards to EPTA; unfortunately it seems none of them near us at all ( Hoorn area )
We might enjoy the company some time when we are near Leiden though^^

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I knew my teacher was good right from her first email. She sent me a very detailed reply and wanted to meet to discuss how she does lessons. As adults, I think we prefer information overload to a vague "I will give you lessons".

C
C
I'm new too. 2 teachers in 1 month. 1 st teacher isn't good. she keeps making excuses grrr talking about her makes me mad but my 2nd teacher is good. She explain stuff like a real teacher and she is very chatty and cute smile

Last edited by casinitaly; 01/18/17 08:07 AM. Reason: removed rude remark
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I took to heart one comment I read from a teacher - don't ask too many questions lol Just do what they tell you to do, and trust in the outcome when persevering.. just like kids do - well they either do it or don't eh - can't argue a kid around XD

I got a response from someone, retired person - a colleague of my wife recommended him. Hope to have an appointment in a couple of days =]

M
M
don't ask too many questions lol Just do what they tell you to do, and trust in the outcome when persevering.. just like kids do - well they either do it or don't eh - can't argue a kid around XD

THIS.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Morodiene
don't ask too many questions lol Just do what they tell you to do, and trust in the outcome when persevering.. just like kids do - well they either do it or don't eh - can't argue a kid around XD

THIS.

Sorry, Morodiene...
But doesn't asking questions (or not) depend on the nature of the question and how it is asked? My lessons are FULL of my questions... and there is absolutely no problem with this from my teacher's perspective. In fact, she has been positive about my interest and that I 'think' (and make her think)

NOT ACCEPTABLE (a few examples)
-Why are you having me do this? I do this differently at home, this is not what I see on You Tube
-Why do I have to learn this repertoire?
-This is not what I learned from my previous teacher.
-Why can't I play Chopin Etude XXXX one week after starting lessons?

WHAT SHOULD BE ACCEPTABLE:
- Can you demonstrate? Can you explain this a different way?
- The trill in this period of music is XXXX; is it different for other periods? or other trills?
- Would this technique also apply to XXXX?

Honestly, I can't think of the millions of questions I have asked--- and not one has been objectionable to my teacher. But then,my questions are intended to understand, and see how this would be applied to other repertoire. Lessons are my opportunity for 'brain picking' and I take advantage of it!

Maybe my perspective is only with one teacher and one student for which this relationship works.

-

Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Perhaps I should have hm expounded? Not being too questioning, why does the piano have 88 keys, why is an octave so many notes, why is a major scale such and minor scale such.. Follow example, ask pertinent questions sure but I think adults engage in as Freeman Dyson called it nesting through conversation.. it gets in the way

Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
There is a time for such questions but not when the teacher is just trying to shape your actions and guiding them - time for action ^^

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by dogperson

NOT ACCEPTABLE (a few examples)
-Why can't I play Chopin Etude XXXX one week after starting lessons?

smile smile smile

I would interpret the "not too many questions" advice as "trust the process"

So not too many questions that are really a form of resistance/challenge/overthinking.

I can't see any issue with questions to clarify understanding, extend knowledge etc, unless perhaps the sheer volume of them gets in the way of doing the actual work in the lesson.

[Linked Image]
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Exactly that

M
M
Originally Posted by barbaram

I would interpret the "not too many questions" advice as "trust the process"

This is how I took the original quote from Goss to mean in the context of what came after it. I have no problems with questions, but I have problems with students to whom I have to prove myself every step of the way and explain "why" they should do as I ask. This is partly why adult students need longer lessons than children.

Inquisitive minds aren't the problem, doubting ones are because that belies a lack of trust.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission