2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, 7 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I am, at 3 years, progressing well into classical music, but have also a strong interest in jazz & blues. (yes.. my heart's desire is to be a lounge lizard.. laugh )

My teacher now is great for classical, but does not teach jazz. Does anyone else have two teachers for different styles? If so, how has that worked out?

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
C
C
Originally posted by mikhailoh:
My teacher now is great for classical, but does not teach jazz. Does anyone else have two teachers for different styles? If so, how has that worked out?
I've never taken lessons from two teachers at once, but since I am a piano teacher I'll go ahead and give my advice. I think this could work out very well if handled properly. The best situation would be the one where both teachers know about the other and some sort of communication about your lessons occurs between them. Otherwise, you will have one teacher telling you to do something a certain way and the other will tell you that what you are doing is incorrect.

Your first step should be to talk to your current teacher and find out if he/she would be willing to work with another teacher.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I had two teachers for about a year. cziffra is right about talking to your teacher just now first.
My second teacher specialized in technique at the Guildhall school, so I had her exclusively for that until a year had passed and she moved away, but she told me we had accomplished everything we had set out to do, so I was pleased. During that time my original teacher kept going with everything else like repertoire and sight-reading and so on. Also I have a separate teacher for theory as well. I found it very helpful and I feel I progressed amazingly because of the different input from different teachers.

Freedom smile

"A print of the score has everything you need to know about the music, except the essential."
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks. Although I have seen someone on here discuss having two teachers secretly, I would never do such a thing. The beauty of being and adult is that one can do what one wishes.. openly.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
B
B
My teacher (Jayne) is classically trained but also has a degree from Berklee. So she knows enough about jazz/pop to teach me the theory I have to know. And she's a lovely person to study with! (In fact, my 11-year-old daughter has started studying with her as well!)

Maybe one day I'll go to a teacher who is strictly jazz/pop, but Jayne is just fine for me now.

Bob

S
S
Hi Michael,

I had two teachers, one for classical and one for jazz/blues. Neither teacher saw the other as a problem because as far as they were concerned they were not in competition, they were teaching completely different things. When I started my jazz lessons my classical teacher even welcomed it - she thought that broadening my abilities could only help my classical playing. Learning jazz was like learning a completely different language!

The one thing I did find was that having weekly lessons from both teachers was too much - I found I didn't have time to practise adequately for either. If you are having weekly classical lessons at the moment you may find that once you start jazz lessons you will want less frequent lessons in order to have time to prepare properly.

I eventually stopped my jazz lessons when my jazz teacher became ill but it is my intention to start them again when I have more time.

Andrea.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Andrea! I was wondering if two lessons a week would not be too much, especially with the classsical stuff I'm getting into now takimg much more time.

Michael

====

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I posted the same question Here (it'a s different forum)

I ended up getting a Jazz Harmony book, which I am working through on my own while maintaining a single teacher for the classical. I'm going to give myself a year to fully integrate the jazz theory and then seek out a second teacher to take me from there.

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."
-- Ernie Stires, composer
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Mound... you have a virtual (meaning nonexistent) gift certificate from me to go get something great for dinner from Wegmans in Pitsford.

I will look for teh jazz harmony book!

Michael

====

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When I had my two teachers they would talk to each other on the phone and so on so they could work around each other, making sure one didn't says one thing and the other say something completely different.
I found this useful. Also at that time I was getting in total 4 lessons a week, counting both performance teachers and theory.

Freedom smile

"A print of the score has everything you need to know about the music, except the essential."

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission