2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hi all.

I've searched to the best of my ability, but have yet to find an answer to my question.

I have a Yamaha YPG-525 and I would like to know if there is a way to record directly into my Sony ICD-PX720 digital voice recorder. (By directly, I mean through some type of connection between the instrument and the device rather than through the air in to the recorders mic.)

My keyboard has only a headphone out jack and a USB port labeled "to device", and a "USB to Host" for hookup directly to a computer. (This port is NOT for the flat end of the USB, but the other squareish end.) There is no Line Out on the keyboard. The recorder has a jack for "mic in".

I'm wondering if there is a way to record to the device while still listening to myself play with or without headphones.

Anyone tried this?

thanks!

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
You can try using your headphone jack in place of the "audio out", and then with the voice recorder, is there a "mic" input? Sometimes these devices allow you to use a separate mic rather than what built in.

By the way, the USB out that you are describing is correct. You can buy cables that have this on one end and the flat rectangular USB plug on the other to go into the computer. These cables are also used on a lot of USB printers.

If you use this, however, keep in mind that it will most likely be transmitting MIDI information to the computer only. Therefore, the sound it uses will be the sound on your soundcard on the PC, unless you are using software where you can have it use the sounds from the keyboard. If you do this, you should be able to export your recording as an mp3 or wav file. And of course, by doing this, you can bypass your voice recorder altogether.

For software, there's free software called Audacity that is very easy to hook up and use. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Morodiene
You can try using your headphone jack in place of the "audio out", and then with the voice recorder, is there a "mic" input? Sometimes these devices allow you to use a separate mic rather than what built in.

Yes the recorder has a mic input. But if I plug from "headphone out" to "mic in", won't that cut off the sound to the keyboard speakers like it does when I plug in my headphones? Yes, it will accept an external mic, I just don't have one so I figured I might be able to come up with a way to get by with what I've got. Not so easy, it seems...

By the way, the USB out that you are describing is correct. You can buy cables that have this on one end and the flat rectangular USB plug on the other to go into the computer. These cables are also used on a lot of USB printers.

If you use this, however, keep in mind that it will most likely be transmitting MIDI information to the computer only. Therefore, the sound it uses will be the sound on your soundcard on the PC, unless you are using software where you can have it use the sounds from the keyboard. If you do this, you should be able to export your recording as an mp3 or wav file. And of course, by doing this, you can bypass your voice recorder altogether.

For software, there's free software called Audacity that is very easy to hook up and use. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Ya I've tried this before and I do get that ugly midi sound. That's why I thought my recorder might be a simpler option. Apparently not! mad

Thanks though!

M
M
You can try using a splitter from the headphone jack so you can hear while you play, but then it may reduce the quality of the recording. If your keyboard supports recording (many of them have this ability), then you can record it on the keyboard, then play it back while plugging the headphone jack into the voice recorder.

The other option, using MIDI I thin is a far better option. You're going to have to edit it with some software, however, using the sounds from your keyboard or other piano software like Pianoteq or Ivory. I'm just looking into these options myself, but I think this is probably far pickier than what you're looking to do. However, you should be able to use the keyboard sounds in the playback of the MIDI file by selecting your keyboard as a MIDI input in whatever software you are using.

*edited to add: You may want to check out the Digital Piano forum on this site. There are a lot of people who record in this manner and know more about than I. smile

Last edited by Morodiene; 12/02/09 01:56 PM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

J
J
Is your Yamaha anywhere near a stereo system?

I have my Yamaha hooked up to the receiver of my stereo system from the headphone out jack (adapter, 3.5 mm stereo to 2 male RCA) and then from my receiver to my pc (via an external sound card/ audio interface)-- you could have it go from the receiver to the recorder (again using 2 male RCA to 3.5 mm stereo). This way you can hear your playing from the stereo speakers while it is being recorded through the receiver. You just have to be sure NOT to use the matching outputs for the same device otherwise the sound would bypass the speakers. E.g. I am using the inputs for "Tape Deck 1" and the outputs for "Tape Deck 2". Good luck!

BTW, I originally connected the Yamaha to the stereo systen just to have better sound using excellent speakers, but now, connecting the receiver with my pc, I can record using Audacity.

If you need quality cables of whatever kind, at a great price, I recommend you check out monoprice.com.

Last edited by Janlo; 12/03/09 04:19 PM.

Started self-teaching 10/09 with JT for only 3 months.
Beginning again 4/11 with JT & A's AIO.
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for all of your suggestions. Once I get a little better, and a little more involved in recording, these options may be pretty valuable.

I just thought I might be able to find another use for my cool little voice recorder. (Which by the way has become more invaluable to me at my job than I ever thought it would!)

Back to the keyboard!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You could record the MIDI data to your pc while you hear the sound thru the speakers or headphones. . Then you could play the midi back thru your DP while running the headphones to the mic in. But at that point, you could just as well record the play-back to your pc with audacity, or other DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).

Don't underestimate the power of midi data, once you record the midi data you can render it with virtual piano software resulting in very hi quality sound, but the software can get a bit pricey.

C
OP Offline
C
Yea, MIDI is something I'm not all too familiar with. I understand there are some pretty impressive things that can be done this way though.

Funny thing is, we use Mac computers and Garage Band is already in there. I guess it's supposed to be pretty powerful and a neat tool, but I have NO CLUE how to use it! One day I'll just have to sit down with it and dig in!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, GarageBand can keep you busy for quite some time. IMHO is definitely worth getting your feet wet with it.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission