2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2101951 06/13/13 12:31 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi there,

I wonder whether anyone has read 'improve your piano playing and increase your enjoyment' by Dr John Meffen.

I got the book yesterday as it was recommended to me, in my search for a better practice methodology and for away piano learning.

What I have read so far has been shared, advocated and debated in this forum, though the author's elaboration is insightful.

If you have read it, what are your thoughts ? Your take on ?

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
The amazon reviews I just browsed seemed to have nothing but praise. Perhaps if you quoted a few topics and/or passages you'd like to discuss, those of us without the book could try to contribute.

R
R
Got a used copy from Amazon and would recommend it. It's a bit short, but at the same time concise.

I feel the section on correcting and preventing mistakes is useful in particular and I go back to it from time to time.

I should also revisit the chapter that talks about touch and balanced arm.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
I read it a few weeks ago. I intend to pick it up again and go through the practical parts at the piano, as there are some useful ideas on tone, chord voicing, etc.

J
OP Offline
J
Now that i am reading the book after my first skim, I will be interested to hear your insights into the application and consequences of these quotations:

'The brain is a self- organising, pattern-recognition and pattern-using system'.
'If we leave matters to our self-organising system, it will devise some plan of action to solve whatever problem we are tackling, but might not be the best one.'

While I concur with these assertions, I am sort of disturbed on the consequences of these assertions. My interpretation is that I can not trust my brain to come up with the best solution, hence I need to direct it through some preparatory work (more relevant knowledge of some sort).
On the other hand, there is common consensus that the actual learning process happens in the background, when sleeping,...

I am not sure to reconcile this. It is a tall order to ensure that every action results in the best outcome.

I appreciate your thoughts.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well I understand what you are saying but I wouldn't worry too much about it or you'll drive yourself mad.

One way I interpret that is say with fingering. Sure you can play a song and it might sound perfectly fine. However, you might be using inefficient fingering. That' is something someone else might point out to you. And then it will be much easier and smoother to play. And now you will have that knowledge and your brain will start organizing things using that new info.

When I was taking lessons and reading music they way I knew how (the way my brain organized it) i did ok. But my teacher would point out different things in the music or different ways to look at it. Now I could have just as well continued with they way I was reading and that would have been fine. But what she snowed me taught me a new way to look at the music so next time I could interpret it much faster. And to see how everything was connected.

Every one had strengths and weaknesses so we all can learn from each other - better ways to do things. But I wouldn't worry too much

Also I kind of see that statement as If you have a habit - the brain is organized to continue that habit until you intentionally set out to change it. But that is only necessary of that habit is bad or self defeating.

However, in my work I am.a very organized person. Oddly enough it was my learning disabilities that made me compensate this way. So, I am easily able to find solutions to problems at work and organize information so others can make sense of it. And I and also very efficient! While people are trying to figure out how to get things done - I already have it done.

So (blah blah blah) my point is that sometimes your brain will come up with the right and best way and sometimes you will seek the council of someone who knows a better way and its up to you to know the difference.
Am I making any sense?

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kymber
Am I making any sense?

Yes. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by JosephAC
'The brain is a self- organising, pattern-recognition and pattern-using system'.

Yes - this is why the ability to memorize isn't random from individual to individual. Those who easily memorize music (aside from children naturally gifted with the ability) can generally can do so because they understand such patterns as musical form, harmonic (chord) progressions and analysis, melodic/motivic development and phrasing, etc. The better you can learn to recognize such patterns (this is greatly enhanced through a thorough understanding of music theory), the faster and more efficiently you can learn new material.

'If we leave matters to our self-organising system, it will devise some plan of action to solve whatever problem we are tackling, but might not be the best one.'

While I concur with these assertions, I am sort of disturbed on the consequences of these assertions.

As well as you should be. The sooner we all learn and accept that the intuitive way is generally incorrect in learning how to learn to play piano (I say this because teachers should teach you not how to play, but how to learn how to play so that you can be forever successful on your own), the sooner we can truly start making progress... that is of course after we learn the correct methods. This is why self-teaching is inefficient, at least for beginners. See my links I list here for further elaboration: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2102811/Piano%20book.html#Post2103187

My interpretation is that I can not trust my brain to come up with the best solution, hence I need to direct it through some preparatory work (more relevant knowledge of some sort).

There are literally thousands of different technical demands found in the modern piano repertoire, and while the number of ways in existence to learn each of them is significantly less, it's still by no means small. Only a very experienced pedagogue (teacher) could guide you through all of them. Meanwhile, a true self-learner would likely take very long to muddle through but a few technical hurdles, if they manage to satisfactorily clear them at all.

On the other hand, there is common consensus that the actual learning process happens in the background, when sleeping,...

I am not sure to reconcile this. It is a tall order to ensure that every action results in the best outcome.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Yes - our brains just so happen to learn best when they're not working on the thing you want learned. See here for further elaboration: https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...t%20before%20a%20breakt.html#Post2100763

You seem to have a very nice book there. After reading through it, you'd probably really enjoy a book that goes into detail on efficient practice methods. For that I'd recommend looking at the following in the order listed (topics presented may overlap to some degree, but looking at things from multiple angles is beneficial)

• Chuan C. Chang's eBook at http://www.pianopractice.org/ ; this is a book on how to spend you practice time in order to achieve the best, most efficient results. While not an absolute authority on the topic, this is a good first step in the door. Much of what he talks about is very confusing at first, but the concepts are ones you'll find good teachers recommending all the time and so even if they're not fully understood upon first introduction (as few piano-related topics are), the earlier I think they're introduced, the better.
  • Madeline Bruser's The Art of Practicing is a nice guide by a very accomplished pianist and teacher on how to practice efficiently and painlessly by making full use of the entire body at the piano. She also discusses how practicing isn't a chore as it may so often seem, but instead, a gateway to a world of unadulterated beauty that lies within written music.
  • Gerald Klickstein's The Musician's Way is a book that covers a wide variety of topics from how to perform confidently in the face of nervousness to how to best divide up your practice time. I list this book last because it's not instrument-specific and so is least relevant to the topic at-hand, though still very good.

But of course, I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't say that your time was best spent as a beginner by finding a good teacher to start learning good habits with (as it so happens, whether or not they regularly devote lesson time to teaching students how to practice on their own whatever material is assigned is one of several good interview questions).

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission