2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
DanL Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I was wondering about this. How long should a piece of 03:00-05:00 takes you to play it at a acceptable level? Bach's Invention takes me about 5-6 days, Rondo Alla Turca took me about 6-7 days (my teacher said I played it OK), a single movement of Beethoven's "not too difficult" sonatas takes me 1 week. I spent about 1,5-3 hours each day playing. I'm talking about the time it takes to play a piece at a acceptable level - because I never feel that I've mastered any piece, always feel like I can do something to "enhance" my performance. Was it normal or not?

I noted the day on the sheet music and wrote down the time each piece took.

I don't know if it's OK for me, was those piece fit or too difficult for me? I can ask my friend who is learning professional piano but I don't get the chance to meet him so often...

What about you, too, if you can tell me, I'd be very appreciated smile

Please help me.
Many thanks!

Last edited by DanL; 12/29/13 10:47 AM.

My YouTube channel
Yamaha U300. Roland FP30. Kawai ES110 (returned). Kohler & Campbell (practice room). Zoom H2n Handy Recorder.
Hi DanL,

It seems to me that you are learning considerabely quickly, if one can say so.

It of course depends on the level you work your pieces up to.

I am a professional pianist and usually working with a difficult piece (for example a ballade by Chopin) until it is ready for performance and recording takes a couple of months when I practice the 10 minute piece an hour a day averagely.

How long have you been learning the piano?

It would also be interesting to listen to some of your recordings if you have them and you do not mind sharing. (Some people are afraid to share their recordings, but I find it very developing).

Best wishes to you,
Jaak

piano.social - Learn classical piano with Jaak and socialize with other piano students
MA, teacher and doctoral student of the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It takes as long as it takes.
Easier music will go more quickly and harder music will take longer.

Worry about it if you like, but there isn't really any need for concern.

Learner
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I am a beginner. It takes me a long time, typically 2 to 4 months to learn a short piece. This is for performance or recording. To get to the just okay level, cut the time by 2 or 3. Polishing, memorizing and then being confident enough with a piece to perform live all take time. For pop songs, I also like to do my own arrangements, which also takes time.

You have a teacher. That person can guide you as far as time and appropriate difficulty. Some people like to learn lots of pieces at an okay level, say a B or B- grade level, and never record or perform them. Others prefer to memorize and know fewer pieces intimately.

I am in the latter group, because I like to play live and a B level of mastery usually means a C or D level performance after nerves have taken their toll. A C level of mastery typically means a crash and burn for me.

It sounds like you are in the first group that prefers to learn a lot of pieces but doesn't often perform or record. Perhaps you don't care about polishing pieces after learning the correct notes and get close to the correct tempo.

There is no right or wrong choice. However it is a choice, hopefully a conscious choice. A few like to brag about how fast they learn pieces or how many they difficult pieces they learn in a year. I say more power to them and bless them. Personally, I prefer my path of fewer pieces, memorizing, with the goal of getting pieces ready for live performance.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission