2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2444781 07/27/15 02:22 AM
R
raskdog Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I am learning this piece at the moment. Those who know it will know it's a piece that is played very quickly. I usually prefer the slower pieces so it's a challenge for me. What is the best way to build up my speed for this? Just start slowly and gradually get quicker each time (hopefully) or is there a more effective way to do it?

raskdog #2444800 07/27/15 07:12 AM
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Our speed is inherent. You cannot train for speed. If you can't run like Usain Bolt or play like Trifunov or Argerich now you aren't going to do much to improve it. You can improve it a bit but not significantly. In almost fifty years of playing I'm no quicker now than I was at the beginning in my trills or my fastest playing speed in, for example, Chopin's Minute Waltz or Beethoven's Moonlight Presto.

Playing a fast piece means taking a small enough section that you can play it at tempo without the hindrance of reading the notes or having to prepare changes mentally. For all the excellent advice about slow practise it has to be remembered that performance won't be slow. We must practise at all speeds but concentrate on the slower ones.

The speed at which you can play the critical seven measures of Sabre Dance now, the repeating ones after the intro, is about as fast as you'll ever get. Get those up to tempo so you know the right mechanics for slow practise.

I've never been one for speeding up in slow metronome clicks. I have a speed in my head at which the piece should go and I practise slowly enough for accuracy (conscious and predetermined - I must know I'm going to get it right) and as quickly as I can manage up to the right tempo for the piece. Eventually the right speed, or my physical limit, is achievable. It takes from a few minutes to a few days if the segment is short enough though I may need to use hands separately for a short while for some sections. Speed after that isn't a practical reality.

What I find is that my slow tempo increases as I practise more but my recital speed doesn't.

If you only practise a fast piece slowly it's more likely that you're practising the wrong mechanics and you may hit a 'speed wall'. Good practise for me means slow enough for predetermined and conscious accuracy of notes with the occasional blast at tempo in short but gradually longer segments. Also a whole play through of a piece you're working on should always be slower than the tempo at which you practise small sections until you can play the whole thing accurately at tempo. The adrenaline from the audience or the red dot will do the rest.

Richard
zrtf90 #2444847 07/27/15 12:09 PM
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Our speed is inherent. You cannot train for speed. If you can't run like Usain Bolt or play like Trifunov or Argerich now you aren't going to do much to improve it. You can improve it a bit but not significantly. In almost fifty years of playing I'm no quicker now than I was at the beginning in my trills or my fastest playing speed in, for example, Chopin's Minute Waltz or Beethoven's Moonlight Presto.

Playing a fast piece means taking a small enough section that you can play it at tempo without the hindrance of reading the notes or having to prepare changes mentally. For all the excellent advice about slow practise it has to be remembered that performance won't be slow. We must practise at all speeds but concentrate on the slower ones.

The speed at which you can play the critical seven measures of Sabre Dance now, the repeating ones after the intro, is about as fast as you'll ever get. Get those up to tempo so you know the right mechanics for slow practise.

I've never been one for speeding up in slow metronome clicks. I have a speed in my head at which the piece should go and I practise slowly enough for accuracy (conscious and predetermined - I must know I'm going to get it right) and as quickly as I can manage up to the right tempo for the piece. Eventually the right speed, or my physical limit, is achievable. It takes from a few minutes to a few days if the segment is short enough though I may need to use hands separately for a short while for some sections. Speed after that isn't a practical reality.

What I find is that my slow tempo increases as I practise more but my recital speed doesn't.

If you only practise a fast piece slowly it's more likely that you're practising the wrong mechanics and you may hit a 'speed wall'. Good practise for me means slow enough for predetermined and conscious accuracy of notes with the occasional blast at tempo in short but gradually longer segments. Also a whole play through of a piece you're working on should always be slower than the tempo at which you practise small sections until you can play the whole thing accurately at tempo. The adrenaline from the audience or the red dot will do the rest.

Yes, we all have a speed wall at some point, but my impression is that, as we progress in our piano student life, our speed follows a sigmoidal curve--slow increase in the early days, then rapid improvement through the intermediate stages, then a leveling off. Are you saying you can only play a trill as fast now, after fifty years, as you could after one? Can you accurately judge that?

I've never been one for speeding up in slow metronome clicks.
Agree, although that's contingent on what you consider slow metronome clicks. smile For me, I use about four, plus or minus one.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

raskdog #2444890 07/27/15 02:42 PM
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Are you saying you can only play a trill as fast now, after fifty years, as you could after one? Can you accurately judge that?
That's a good point but I'm fairly sure the speed at which I can rotate my arm has little changed. For someone ready to tackle Sabre Dance, though, they're probably close to their potential on speed.

I'd be interested in hearing more from teachers or researchers about this.

Originally Posted by Stubbie
...although that's contingent on what you consider slow metronome clicks...
Anything in between playable accurately and at tempo. smile

I don't chase the metronome. I take fragments up to full tempo within a few days of starting out, even if it means just three or four notes or hands separately, then slow down to practise.

Richard
raskdog #2445391 07/29/15 04:46 AM
R
raskdog Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the suggestions and advice. Hopefully I will be able to present this as a recital piece someday.

raskdog #2446152 07/31/15 05:01 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
This is a very tricky subject. Most will tell you to practice slowly. However if you practice slowly only you will finally play the piece slowly as well. Cranking up the metronome after that will not be effective and give you maybe a doubling of the speed, not more.

My take at this is that you need both fast and slow practice. Without the fast practice you will get stuck with slow speeds.

Last edited by wouter79; 07/31/15 05:01 AM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission