2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1128405 12/02/08 09:01 PM
OP Offline
I've been thinking for the longest time of attending a George Winston concert. Now, he's coming to my hometown of San Diego. But I'm not sure about going. After all, I really want to hear his "new age" stuff and could care less about the other styles he plays.

Has anyone ever attended a Winston concert and if so, did you enjoy it?

----------------------------------
Play New Age Piano
http://www.newagepianolessons.com

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I've seen him twice, and I highly recommend going. He is fabulous in concert, and he does a great job of talking to the crowd before and after each piece. Usually his shows have a theme so you'll know what he's going to play. I've seen his "winter" concert twice, since his December album is the only one I listen to. He will probably have a playlist posted somewhere if you search.

Good luck!

Nancy

Estonia 168
OP Offline
Thanks Nancy. I'll probably end up going just to see what he's like in concert. I do like the December album.

D
D
he is definitely fun and a very mellow show. You'll feel very relaxed afterwards! When I've seen him in the past he also threw in a slack key guitar number and also did a harmonica piece as well. It was when his album came out with tribute to Vince Guaraldi so he did a few of those pieces also.

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Ah I live in San Diego as well and am really thinking of going. Winston is fantastic.

Chopin: Nocturne No. 15 in Fm. Op. 55 no.1.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
We saw him years ago @ Symphony Hall in San Diego
when he was fairly new on the scene and absolutely loved the concert. Recently we saw him 2 years ago in Durango and that will be our last concert with him. He mostly played pieces that were not original and completely different from his unique sound. I actually like all types of music but the most difficult aspect was to listen to someone literally banging the piano for 2 hours. They actually had a tuner work on the piano at intermission. Another observation was his audience was much larger in San Diego.I consider some of his original works to be very classic in nature. I will always enjoy playing them even though his score is somewhat atypical from a reading standpoint.

just an opinion....

rada

M
M
He's an interesting character. I saw him around 1998 or so. He came on stage barefoot, and delayed the concert at least 30 minutes because he was unsatisfied with the tuning of the piano. But it was a good show.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Oh, you should definitely go, Ed. I've seen him in concert twice, and if he ever comes back to Lexington, I'd go again in a heartbeat.

I'd say the vast majority of what he plays is new age selections from his albums. (I can't remember exactly when I saw him, but it was probably 3-4 years ago.) As delco said, he will usually throw in a guitar piece and maybe a harmonica piece. I've seen the "winter" concert that Nancy referred to (he played selections from December, Forest, some Guaraldi, and some pieces from his Doors cover album), and I've also seen his "summer" concert (I'm forgetting exactly what he played, but there were at least a couple of pieces from Autumn and Summer).

He's an amazing composer and pianist. heart

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I saw him in 1982, when December was quite popular. He did play a wide variety of styles back then. I still have the page of sheet music he distributed in the lobby - an accurate version of Guaraldi's "Linus and Lucy" that he'd received permission to distribute to "friends and family." He told us that he considered all of us friends.

I've seen him; he plays a pretty good variety of his material. You'll get to see him reach inside the piano while playing and pluck, and mute strings...and then you'll know how he gets those signature sounds. By all means go - you'll enjoy it!

OP Offline
Well, looks like I might buy tickets aferall. Thanks for all your glowing reviews.

------------------------------
Play New Age Piano
http://www.quiescencemusic.com

I do not care for his slack key guitar, but I enjoyed the rest of the concert.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission