2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
I've been using Finale Notepad, but I don't think I can change the colors of the notes, or put in more than one line of notes on a single stave.

What I want to do is to put a Bach fugue into a composing program, and change the color of each line of notes, so that the top voice is blue and the middle voice is green and the bottom voice is red (or something like that).

Any ideas?

Sam
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm just trying to learn the ins and outs of composing software myself. Have you tried e-mailing the "help desk" at Finale or Sibelius to see if any of their programs have this capability? That's where I would start because they would give you the specifics of which programs can do this and the how to's.

If it were me, not to sound negative but I would save my time, energy, and money on other more productive endeavors (such as composing laugh ) and so long as you own your own copy of the music, make a personal photocopy and stick with the old-fashioned route of colored pencils or highlighters. I'm sure this is what you are already doing. Is it not working out? I've never color coded things, but have heard it suggested by others before.

Could you scan it to word and somehow "draw" in the colors? Or color them in by hand very neatly and then scan it into your computer to look more professional.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I know that Finale does this. I don't know how willing you are to go out and buy it though. But if you decide to, its way better than Sibelius, and I highly reccomend it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sorry, I just noticed you said "Free." Sorry, Sam, I don't know of any free ones that do. But I would definately consider buying Finale. It's worth every penney.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Finale's in the computer lab down the hall, Sam.

smirk

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Notepad will do it. In the lower left corner, you'll see the numbers "1234". These are the layers you can type notes in with. Layer 1 is black, layer 2 is red, 3 is green and 4 is blue (or at least, that's the old system...dunno what they did in Finale 2006).

The only trouble with layers is you're going to wind up with a good amount of "clutter" between rests (where individual lines don't play, but you need the rest for the next note to show up) and overlapping staves, etc.

I say, go for the six-year-old solution...colored-pencils and paper with lines. (Just make sure you color on/inbetween the lines in the right places. :p wink )

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Thank you, Derulux. That's exactly what I was looking for!

Sam

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission