2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 13 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
I have composed a new piano piece using the style and the technique of Rachmaninoff. You can click the link below and head to the listening page. The mp3 player is online, no downloads are needed. Please leave your comments after the listening.
D-Day of A Greenhouse Botanist

M
M
Very interesting - did you record this live? It sounds like a lot of hands at some points smile which is definitely in the spirit of Rac.

I am a huge Rac fan - I love the big stomping chords. You really nailed that aspect. I plan on listening to it a few more times.

Mary
T
OP Offline
T
I recorded this piano piece using Finale 2005 on my own personal computer, so it's a digital audio. I tried to make the crescendoes and decrescendoes as smooth as possible, so it sounds alive in many ways.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
tucker,

Just did listen thru a few times and liked it very much.

Your introductory theme immediately grabs the listener's attention. The melody which follows is lovely, vivid, and very hummable, which is a feature of every memorable piece. (Even memorable symphonic works seem to have at least one movement with this feature.) I particularly adimired the way that you were able to maintain the melody thru the chords.

Your concluding with that quiet section made me think of Rachmaninoff's Variations on a Theme by Corelli, which I love.

Two suggestions:

The first couple of measures of the concluding section are, to my ears, a little too quiet. The pace of that section, combined with its volume level, is sufficient to create a dramatic contrast, and I hope that you'll consider raising the level of the first measures, to match that of the remaining ones.

Please consider either pausing before sounding the concluding note---as Rachmaninoff occasionally does---or ending with just a touch of a flourish. At the moment the piece just sort of ends, and I think that that is a pity, because it's a very fine piece of work.

DavidH

PS, please check your PM's.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
it sounds really good! i like the drama you created through the music, with balanced tension and relief.

i haven't been around here for a while, and it seems that we got a lot of good composers coming here now!

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the suggestions and reviews, FogVilleLad, the audio you heard was actually recorded digitally on my desktop computer. It's quiet hard to adjust the volumes on my composing software, but it's good to know, so when this piece being played on a real piano, the expressions you mentioned will be truly considered as a way to improve the overall quality.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission