2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
OP Offline
V
How does one go about in learing to compose contrapunctually? I would like to learn this style, I think it would help me in my studies, but I'm unsure of how to go about it. I've taken Music theory classes, so it shouldn't be over my head two much.

Does anyone know of any good books or websites or any advice would all be greatly appreciated? Thanks

well I'm 20 years old, and I'm teaching myself piano.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
When you say you want to learn compose contrapuntally you're being a bit vague and that may be the result of insufficient knowledge. Contrapuntal music covers pretty much the entire spectrum of music history as most of us care about it, from the Rennaisance to the present. Do you want to write fugues that sound like Bach or something in a more contemporary idiom? You're asking this question for a reason so please tell us what is inspiring you to choose to compose contrapuntal music.

You say you've taken music theory classes. I found music theory covered a lot of the knowledge necessary to compose contrapuntally, especially the second year when specific forms were addressed. If your music theory knowledge extends only to four part harmonization then there is significantly more you could learn.

Some may suggest the Fux book. The Fux book was written about 300 years ago and covers various species of counterpoint (as they existed then). It's been slightly updated, but the overall focus is on musical practice of the Baroque. It may be useful for you, but I found it a bit strange and unnecessary.

In terms of actually composing contrapuntally I have just 3 points to make.

1. Write the strongest melodies you can. This includes counter themes. When you think you've written something really powerful , try rewriting it into something better, you may surprise yourself.
2. Work to be creative and elegant in your voice leading. This is what makes Bach's music great. As with point #1, if you come up with a contrapuntal idea that works well see if you can make it better.
3. Do follow the rules, avoid parallel 5th and octaves. Doubling a voice at the octave is OK, but that's something different. Parallel 5ths and octaves reduce perceived counterpoint because the parallel voices can be perceived as overtones. This is pretty much exactly what's happening when you double a voice at the octave, but then the effect is to enhance the one voice. The exception is to make parallel 5ths a deliberate effect. In which case they should be used a lot. In contemporary contrapuntal writing there aren't a lot of rules, the bottom line is does it sound good. The only way to get good at writing contrapuntally is by doing it. If you can find a teacher or someone to give you lessons that would be your best option.

It can't hurt to start sketching ideas. Try writing some canons. they're easy to write but hard to make interesting. Try writing some two and or three part inventions. Learn about fugue form and try composing some themes then maybe an exposition or stretto section. This is how you learn what works and what doesn't.

Good luck.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you Steve for the information. Sandy B

Sandra M. Boletchek 08/02/06
X
X
The best advice I could give you would be to place some Bach fugue under your fingers. Then compare it to some of Beethoven's fugues as they explore more of the registers and voice leading possibilities.

The last movement of Mozart 41th symphony has quite an amazing short fugue at the end with 5 themes juxtaposed. He manage to do that by building his themes around a cantus firmus. Beethoven does the same with the gross fuge.

"The quantity of intelligence carried by the sounds must be the true criterion of the validity of a particular music." Iannis Xenakis
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Xill:
The last movement of Mozart 41th symphony has quite an amazing short fugue at the end with 5 themes juxtaposed. He manage to do that by building his themes around a cantus firmus.
... and that short cantus firmus (theme) is just a little exercise/example from Fux's book on counterpoint. C D F E... just four notes... so simple.

Try to write things as simply as possible first, and then when you know that the counterpoint works, then go ahead and fancy it up a little (but make sure that when you add notes, they don't mess up the counterpoint).

Sam
The Fux book is great place to start.

V
OP Offline
V
thank you everyone, i will look into some of the things and pieces you mentioned.

To Steve, The last things we were learning in my music theory classes was secondary dominants and secodary diminished chords, also we were touching on borrowed chords a bit.

well I'm 20 years old, and I'm teaching myself piano.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In a previous discussion someone placed a link to a downloadable book on counterpoint. I don't have the link handy anymore, but you can search the forums for older discussions on this topic (including several threads on Fux).

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission