2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1148807 02/06/08 05:48 PM
D
dave18 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hello everyone!

OK, I'm still working through various meter issues, but I'm not quite sure what to do when a song or part of a song doesn't really have much of a beat to it. I've worked out the meter for this short sample, but looking back, I seem to be using it to group notes in the melody more than anything. Also, are meter changes in such a basic piece an indication that I'm doing something wrong? I go from 4/4 to 3/4 to 5/4. Should I be considering a tempo change instead of a meter change?

I would include a longer sample, but there is no more. I've been sick and this is all I seem to come up with right now. I'll probably end up scrapping it, but still, I would love to know if I got the meter right. Thanks for any input you can provide!

OK, here are the files:
Music (MP3)
Score (PDF)

Thanks again for any guidance. I hope to get some full songs going soon... I've just been so dang busy with other things. Oh yeah, we all get that. smile

dave

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Why not try to fit the whole thing in 3/4? That seems to be the primary rhythm. So shorten measures 2 and 4, and lengthen 7 and 8. Just a suggestion. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have no problem with the mixed meter - if that's the metrical idea you want to get across, then by all means use mixed meter. Just because a piece is "basic" doesn't mean that you can't throw in meter changes - look at the early volumes of Bartok's Mikrokosmos - those pieces are relatively easy and mix meters all over the place.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
R
R
I agree with 8ude. If that is how you like the music to be, then the meters are correct and there is absolutely no reason for you to change the music or the meters.

D
dave18 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hey guys,

Thanks for responding. OK, I'm glad to hear that mixed meters are not necessarily a cause for concern. I'm not used to seeing them all that often, but as pointed out, they do exist. 8ude, thanks for the Bartok reference. Wow, he did a lot of writing. I've looked at some of his stuff and I'll keep trying to get a hold of some of the earlier (i.e. easier) volumes of the Mikrokosmos.

Thanks again,
dave

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If I had the recording and was asked to transcribe it, I would've used the same meters. Looks good to me.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
D
dave18 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
If I had the recording and was asked to transcribe it, I would've used the same meters. Looks good to me.

Sweet! I'll try to not let that go to my head. smile But seriously, thanks a lot for taking a listen and a look.

dave

X
X
It's fine like this, it's better to have the meter follow the music phrasing than otherwise.

But it's very easy so you have nothing to worry about. I would suggest you look at Debussy, Bartok and Schoenberg piano pieces for their meter work and other indications.

"The quantity of intelligence carried by the sounds must be the true criterion of the validity of a particular music." Iannis Xenakis
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I think it's okay, but if you're really that bothered, I would say try to stick to one meter and do note/tempo changes instead.

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein
D
dave18 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hey, thanks for the added input!

but if you're really that bothered

It really doesn't bother me. In fact, it seemed like the most "natural" way to deal with it to me. However, I'm still pretty new to writing scores, and a lot of basic music like this seems to stick with one meter, and a few people have suggested that I "keep it simple"... but this seemed the best and easiest way to match the score to what I had played. So that's why I posed the question. But the more I read, the more I'm thinking that mixed meters really aren't such a big deal. In fact, I think I'd rather use a mixed meter than a mixed tempo. But maybe that wouldn't be a big deal either? I don't know. Probably the best advice would be to use what is appropriate for the music. In any event, I'll keep practicing. smile

Thanks again for the advice!
dave

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission