2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,289 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1151407 02/25/06 04:22 AM
D
Derulux Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
I'm going to keep this short (mostly because I'm fairly intoxicated). I went out to the bar tonight for the first time in many weeks. It was a special occasion. (My best friend took a job in NYC, and is leaving Philadelphia...so we went out to celebrate his last night in Philly.) Well, they all decided to go to a bar I really didn't want to go to. (One of the female employees there hurt me pretty badly over Christmas break....) To make a long story short, she was there...and I'm not quite over her like I thought I was.

So, I needed an outlet. I took the last hour or so to write this short little prelude (about 3 minutes), and though you can't hear me play it personally, you can hear the Finale Garrison Pianist play it (and he doesn't miss a note). I made sure to add accents and some minor dynamics to give you a feel for the piece, but the computer doesn't do the piece justice since rubato is just out of the question.

Still, I hope you like it. It's kept me company since 2am, and now I imagine I'll have to at least try to go to sleep....

Prelude in Db

Let me know what you think. smile

P.S. -- Yes, I know it's fairly simple. I'm half-drunk and quite emotional...what did you expect?

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
#1151408 02/25/06 10:09 AM
H
H
Dear Derelux,
Ah...I was able to hear it on the Piano Forum.
Nice job! I particularly like the last half. It
builds to a nice passionate closing. You're
a natural musician to do something so lovely
so quickly. Quite impressive!
Sometimes the best use of "old loves" is
to inspire us to create something beautiful
out of the pain. Congratulations...you've
made lemonade out of a lemon.

The truest insights into a person's
character are two things:
1. How he treats people who cannot help him.
2. How he treats those who cannot
fight back.
#1151409 02/26/06 02:05 AM
A
A
Thanks for that Derulux.

I know what's it's like to just feel like composing something without worrying about making it perfect. I had that feeling today while I was playing the piano.

This composition has a certain plesantness to it. Like a pretty day on which coulds just temporarily obscure the sun's rays.

#1151410 03/21/06 04:11 PM
i didnt read the second half of your post and so I was just about to write "Damn, you're phrasing is almost perfect! dry, but perfect!!" then i saw that (as i greatly assumed) the computer played it and that explained the mysterious mechanical playing to such a nice piece. I like it, and would definitly prefer to hear a REAL person, perhaps umm.. YOU, playing it laugh

#1151411 03/22/06 02:33 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice piece! I liked some of your rhythmic things, and especially liked when you brought out more than one voice.

"Beauty is unbearable, drives us to despair, offering us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time."

-Albert Camus,

Jim
#1151412 03/22/06 03:29 AM
D
Derulux Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Thanks, all, for such kind words. I'd almost forgotten I'd posted a recording of the piece...and during the stressful times I've had this week, it was nice to come back and read these comments. smile

Currently, I can't play the entire piece the way I hear it in my head, so I suppose I take "composer's privilege" and let myself feel the music without playing it. If I ever get the time to sit in front of a piano and work out that late-middle section with the LH triplets and RH chord-octave jumps, I'll certainly record it for you all (and for me wink ).

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission