2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#668121 06/09/05 11:50 PM
J
jepjep Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello all,

I'm sorry for the questions but in my general area where I live I don't have any store that has the FP-5, RD-700 and the P-250 in the same place.
What about the RD-700, not 700sx? I've been reading a lot of user reviews on the RD-700 and can not hardly find any bad ones.
1) How do you compare both the Roland RD-700 and FP-5?
2) How do you compare the RD-700 to the P-250?

Also, due to the fact that the RD-700 has no speakers, you would have to put the speaker for the RD-700 directly in the middle of the piano (floor or up higher) wouldn't you? What I mean is that if you put the speaker to the left or right of the piano then it is going to sound wierd while you play to hear music coming from a different direction then the actual piano. Right?

Help.
Jack

From what i have gathered, the P250 is in another league.

[Linked Image]
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I personally REALLY like the RD-700 but the new sx is definately better. The P250 is also (in my opinion) a better sounding/feeling board but this is VERY subjective and everyone will give a different answer.

As for speaker placement, you can use a mono speaker and place it in the center, BUT most if the samples used in the keyboard were captured in stereo using two mics placed some distance apart. You should also place the speakers wide enough to represent the same sound that was in the original recordings (~6'- 8' wide, ~0'- 3' feet behind the keyboard, and anyware ~0'- 1' above, and at least 6" away from any hard surface such as a wall).

NOTE:

The positions I listed above are to my taste. You may get better results using different positions.

Rodney

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I agree. I'd take the RD700. The samples are better. The action is better. And most importantly, it's expandable.

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
IMHO, the Yamaha graded hammer boards are still the best in the digital realm, and Yammies are built like tanks. That said, their feel is firmer than others'. If you're a synth player, go Roland. If you're a piano player, go Yammy.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I'm a piano player. I find the Roland action to be more realistic.

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
SteveY,

This is the first time I've heard Roland's action is more realistic. Could you give some details? (I like learning and am just looking for info.)

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I don't know that anyone can definitively say that one action is more realistic. It's all subjective. I just want to provide some balance here. There are a lot of P120/P250 fans on this board. Personally I'm not crazy about either one (sounds, action, etc.). It's fine that you like the Yamahas. I lot of people that I respect would agree with you. All things being equal, I happen to prefer the Roland tone/touch. I find them to be more versatile, and yes, more realistic. But on a digital (especially), it's very difficult to seperate the tone from the touch. In other words, the tone influences how you experience the touch, and vice versa. Everytime I play a P250, I always feel like the tone could cut glass. I'm sure that poisons the action for me. Perhaps if I liked the tone, I'd appreciate the action more?

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
SteveY,

I really do know what you mean. I played my P-80 for almost four years before learning from Cobs that the touch sensitivity settings were an illusion!

I've read on a forum somwhere that Roland's actions are contructed differently, and I think that ProPianoguy likes to tout the escapement feature.

I like the positiveness of the graded hammer boards, but am always glad to learn about other perspectives. And the digital piano world is always changing.

All the best,
DavidH

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
SteveY,

Just came across some 700sx demos. Must say that the sound is terrific: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35135&page=2&pp=10

I'm still holding out for the graded hammer feel, tho;-)

Originally posted by Blue Sun:
What i actually meant by that, was the P250 is better than the RD-700, but on par with the RD-700SX.

[Linked Image]
Originally posted by FogVilleLad:
SteveY,

I've read on a forum somwhere that Roland's actions are contructed differently, and I think that ProPianoguy likes to tout the escapement feature.

I like the positiveness of the graded hammer boards, but am always glad to learn about other perspectives. And the digital piano world is always changing.

All the best,
DavidH
I don't know if "tout" is the right word. But I do like the feeling of the Roland action with the escapement. It IMO feels more natural than the Yammie action. Different Strokes though.......
Only your fingers and ears can make up your mind....And If I was a seriously rich guy...I would have my Bosey Imperial alongside my RD700sx with an Estonia upstairs in my HUGE Bedroom.......And I am a digital guy.

Just my $.02
PPBC

J
jepjep Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Guys,

Excellent info and help...Thanks. I'm seriously thinking about the RD-700, but 2 things...

1.) I hate the fact that you have to get an external speaker.

2.) They're not that easy to find on the internet anymore. I have found a package deal with the P-250 and kraftmusic.com for $2050. But with the $1799 price tag on the RD-700 at the few websites that still offer it, the whole package comparable to the P-250 package would cost more money.

Thanks guys

Originally posted by FogVilleLad:
I'm still holding out for the graded hammer feel, tho;-)
confused If I recall correctly, Roland refers to "graded hammer action" as "progressive hammer action" (same thing, different marketing term), which the RD700 does have.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission