2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi folks,

Which is the preferred DP for you between the two above models?

Would like to hear some advice before purchase ... THKS!!!

Nepotism: We promote family values here - almost as often as we promote family members.
well, both are good, reputable and DIFFERENT in key feel and sounds

which one looks better and more inspiring to you?

CLP-240 / EL-90 / X5D
OP Offline
The touch of the Kawai feels closer to an acoustic, but the piano sound of the Roland is more attractive for me. That's my humble opinion (emphasis).

So, well, yes ... I'm torn between the two.

Both these models are actually offered at a reasonable price here in Singapore, with little price difference ...

Nepotism: We promote family values here - almost as often as we promote family members.
wow that's a pretty tough decision

IMHO, the sound is more important. I guess though, u COULD get used to Roland's keys by time

CLP-240 / EL-90 / X5D
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Really, they're both excellent, so it's really up to you. I also preferred the sound of the Roland and found the touch to also be fine, so I went for the HP-207. The Roland also has more additional sounds and features. But there are lots of Kawai fans here, and the Kawai action is more physically similar to an acoustic in how it's built.

A Yamaha CLP-380 would also be a good choice.

OP Offline
CLP 380 in Singapore is MUCH more expensive compared with the HP 207 or the CA 91. Wonder if it's worth the difference (3k difference!).

F
F
Is it an acoustic replacement for night practice? If so, I found the Kawai touch to be a lot more authentic.

Have you tried tweaking around with the sound settings till you get a sound that you like? I hated the default Kawai sounds, but kept changing tweaking all the various settings till I got a sound I liked.

The CLP 370 is quite nice too if it's just the touch.

(I was looking at the Mp8ii, but got a P-155 in the end because of price and space.)

In progress

Beethoven: Op 109, Op 110
OP Offline
Originally Posted by fj_s
Is it an acoustic replacement for night practice? If so, I found the Kawai touch to be a lot more authentic.

Exactly. I think banging on my grand in the dead of the night isn't a good idea :P

Your suggestion is interesting ... maybe I should try tweaking with the kawai sound as well.

The CLP 370 would be in the same price vicinity as the HP 207 and the CA 31. Problem is, all these brands aren't usually sold side by side, so it's not easy to compare everything.

If there's a store in Singapore which has most of these models together, do give me a PM.

E
E
I don't know how the Kawai is built, but the proof is in the playing. To me, the touch does not feel authentic. The Kawai feels very light (almost toy-like), and the dynamic response is uneven. This is in comparison to the Roland, which I think feels very realistic for a digital, and the Yamaha, which comes in second. But don't take anyone's word for it (even mine). As Geoffk says, there are many Kawai fans here. You have to test the pianos yourself - and play a nice Steinway grand along side for comparison.

Last edited by eJohn; 07/28/09 01:34 AM.
OP Offline
I was considering the Kawai CA 91 until I googled the problems on this model i.e. production quality, keyboard problems, note drop-off etc.

Now I'm having 2nd thoughts about it!

F
F
The MP8 was the perfect keyboard when it came to touch.

Rather unfortunately, they lightened it for the MP8II. (According to the sales person, it's partly because a lot of digital players, e.g. those that play for churches, bands, etc actually don't want a heavy touch.)

I still prefer the touch of the MP8II to the Roland though. That being said, the Roland sound is better, and that influences how the touch is perceived. If you can find an MP8, do consider trying it out.

In progress

Beethoven: Op 109, Op 110
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
go for the one you like the sound of better. the roland keys are light but responsive. i have a yamaha cp-300 which is great too.

YAMAHA Artist
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by fj_s

I still prefer the touch of the MP8II to the Roland though. That being said, the Roland sound is better,

Buy the Kawai MP8II, a MIDI cable and a Roland "Fantom" sound modual. Not cheap but gets you exactly what you asked for.
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=590&ParentId=20

Last edited by ChrisA; 12/02/09 05:02 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The Kawai MP8II didn't impress these fingers.

I have no axe to grind as far as brands go, so I can say without hesitation, that the Roland HP-307 is the better instrument overall....better touch, and better sound...strictly my opinion, however.

Sticking a Roland Fantom sound module to an MP8II with a MIDI cable might work very well indeed for some (clever suggestion, ChrisA), but most people prefer the look of an all-in-one instrument, especially if it is to be in the living room, or other main room of the house.

If it's in a studio, it won't matter too much, but you will have to get accustomed to using and setting up MIDI channels and such.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission