2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1315976 12/01/09 03:41 PM
D
deburn Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I can't believe it! I ordered it on the 27th evening (from Costco). The website said processing and shipping would take 7-10 business days.

I was fine with that because I need to find a teacher but it didn't stop me checking the delivery status online grin

This morning the status and it said it's on the truck for delivery! I luckily was able to rearrange my day so I could be home and now it's here!

Got to go!!

Congrats on your new piano! Be sure to tell us your impressions of it.

D
deburn Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks NoFingers! I just finished setting it up. Set up was pretty straightforward (this is from someone who finds setting up most things initimidating).

Costco sells it with the CS 67 stand. I was impressed to see that it said 'Formaldehyde' compliant*; probably because it's made for the European market? I dont think we have such restrictions in the US.

The set up is slightly different if you're not placing it against a wall. The PX 130 itself comes with the wall adaptor and sustain pedal. All you have to do is screw in a metal bar on the underside of the unit and then set the unit on the stand and use butterfly nuts to keep it in place.

The unit did have blue tape across the keyboard. None of the keys are depressed or sticking after I removed the keyboard and they seem fine. Now I can better understand what people mean when they say Casios have a heavier feel. I am getting some kind of sound when I press the keys (more noticeable on the right side, presumably because it's softer and hence more noticeable). I wouldn't call it a clacking sound but I can't think a good way to describe it just yet. Or maybe it's just the sound DPs at this price point make?

Since I know nothing about playing a piano, I can't comment much more but I am having a lot of fun playing around!

I guess I should get moving on finding a teacher ... grin

~ deburn

* for those who don't know, most furniture manufactured in the US (and in many/most parts of the world) are made with adhesives and other materials that release Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). This process is called off-gassing and what it means is that it emits dangerous chemicals like Formaldehyde into our homes on an ongoing basis.

Last edited by deburn; 12/01/09 05:43 PM. Reason: added part about blue tape
Happy playing on your new piano. If you visit the Adult Begginers Forum you will see that the people there organize amazing recitals that you may find interesting.

Last edited by mcasl; 12/01/09 06:51 PM. Reason: I'm not used to my new laptod keyboard and I consistently make typing mistakes.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Formerly 1WeekPlayer. Currently practicing:
- Arabesque 1. Debussy
- Wiener Urtext Primo collection
http://www.youtube.com/mcasl
F
F
Hello Deburn!

Just another beginner looking into the casio 130/330 models and got a couple questions if you don't mind me asking.

I was steering towards the 330 model and the more I look on the forums and the opinions of others, they recommend the 130 due to the fact that the 330's extra features are not worth the extra cash. So what made you choose the 130?

Also, I would have to order online and didn't even think of costco owning such models for sale. Doubt you were able to haggle with a chain like costco so how much did you pay for what you got?

And lastly, was this purchase worth your moolah? Of course this goes purely on opinion and nothing but that.

Thanks and hope to hear back from you! Maybe Casio will get one more sale added to their list this month. lol

M
M
Personally, I got the 330 because I wanted the nice screen. It also has more sounds, auto accompaniment etc etc. besides, i got it for $540, which was a wicked deal. I think the best you can manage for a p130 is about 390...

D
deburn Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi fanatik, I think the main reason I chose to get a Privia was that it seemed to offer the most value for the money. Just to clarify, most, if not all, my info I got from this forum, which is a great forum. However, these are my opinions, and for my situation.

the 130 seemed to offer the best combination of quality, value and price. I really am a beginner and didn't want to spend too much money right now, because

a) the fear that I might not like playing the piano that much, or more accurately, not be willing to put in the hours of practice, and,

b) if I did like it, then based on what I've read I'd want to upgrade at some point anyway, so might as well save my money for now!

c) I get easily intimidated or put off by electronics that are not easily explained in the user manual and hence never get around to using the extra features, unless I stumble upon it whilst using it. imo, Japanese mfrs are famous for putting out manuals that I find hard to read/understand, so why pay for something that I may never use?

To summarize: there's so much available at so many price points, that as a beginner it's hard to decide because I have no reference point, so let's make a 'conservative', value-oriented decision (which is not like me at all!!)

I paid 579.00 from costco.com which includes a stand which I've seen for about 100.00. I didn't see any retailer that has a friendly return policy (that I have personally experienced; I've never shopped at GC, for ex) for much less for both combined. I've read very good things about sweetwater.com and would seriously consider them and other music oriented sites in the future, but nobody can beat Costco's return policy, and I didn't mind paying a small premium for the peace of mind.

hope that helps!
~ deburn

Originally Posted by fanatik22
Hello Deburn!

Just another beginner looking into the casio 130/330 models and got a couple questions if you don't mind me asking.

I was steering towards the 330 model and the more I look on the forums and the opinions of others, they recommend the 130 due to the fact that the 330's extra features are not worth the extra cash. So what made you choose the 130?

Also, I would have to order online and didn't even think of costco owning such models for sale. Doubt you were able to haggle with a chain like costco so how much did you pay for what you got?

And lastly, was this purchase worth your moolah? Of course this goes purely on opinion and nothing but that.

Thanks and hope to hear back from you! Maybe Casio will get one more sale added to their list this month. lol

D
deburn Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks mcasi, I've been spending some time on the ABF, lots of very inspiring stuff!
Originally Posted by mcasl
Happy playing on your new piano. If you visit the Adult Begginers Forum you will see that the people there organize amazing recitals that you may find interesting.

F
F
Thanks deburn and munkeegutz !

I did take a look at costco's website and spotted the 130 bundle deal. I live fairly close to a costco warehouse so maybe ill check in to see if they offer it locally.

Still haven't chosen which model to take. I will say I am guilty of latest and greatest spending within budget and that makes the 330 so much more appealing. lol

Again, thanks for your input deburn. Sorry if it took time away from you and your new purchase!! hehe grin

D
deburn Offline OP
OP Offline
D
fanatik, I too checked out my local Costco. They didn't have the 130 or any of the new models. I wasn't expecting them to because they state clearly that what's on the website is different from what's in store, but I thought I'd see a larger collection.

They only had a few - 3 or 4 keyboards and 1 DP an ADP 200 or something like that

btw, does anyone know if the red felt is supposed to be visible? It's all along the keyboard, at the back.

J
J
Yeah, it's supposed to be visible. Most acoustic pianos have this treatment where the piano keys end.

Baldwin M
Casio PX-330
Casio AP-45
D
deburn Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Cool, thanks for letting me know jrcallan

J
J
You're wlecome. Now enjoy your new baby.

That piano may not be super-expensive, but it's still a beast. I love the youtube video with Mike from Casio demonstrating the features. Wow.

Good luck with it.

Baldwin M
Casio PX-330
Casio AP-45

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission