2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1320138 12/07/09 10:00 AM
W
OP Offline
W
I've never played piano but am doing research for a gift for my wife. I think just about anything I get will make her happy but want to get the best piano I can for various reasons. In doing research and visiting stores it seems that I can get the low-end Clavinova (CLP-320) for $1400-$1500. This is comparable in price to the YDP223 which seems to be the high end of the YDP line. They both seem to sound great but can someone tell me about the action? The CLP320 has GH and the YDP223 has GHE. I've read on this site that some people say that's the same but given that the YDP223 is now six years old I figure they can't be quite the same. Since I don't play I can't tell the difference and salesmen are no help (the last guy I talked to tried to convince me that the CLP320 had GH3). Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
whfenton, welcome to the PW forums!

As you correctly state, the YDP-223 is a little dated. Therefore, out of the two instruments, I would almost certainly opt for the CLP-320.

The YDP-160 is somewhat more advanced than the YDP-223, and very close in terms of specifications, to the more expensive Clavinova.

However, without wishing to pour cold water on your lovely idea, I believe the general consensus among other PW forum members is never to purchase a digital piano for another person. Instead, why not prepare an 'invitation to chose a digital piano', and allow your wife to chose the preferred instrument herself.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The actions are not the same. The CLP320 is higher up the ladder in touch response. The CLP comes with a five year warranty (in the U.S.) parts and labor with in-home service. The YDP series comes with a three year (in the U.S.)warranty where you must ship it or carry it in to a service center for repairs.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks for the quick replies. At $1350, I'm not excited about the YDP160 over the Clavinova 320 but if a brick and mortar dealer can do better than the internet price that may be a good solution.

G
G
I own a YDP 223 and I have tested a YDP 160 and in my very personal opinion the YDP 223 is better, even if it is older than the 160.
Between the CLP 320 and the YDP 223, if the price is the same, I would choose the CLP 320, just because it appears to be a more recent model.
But you will not go wrong with the YDP 223.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by whfenton
I've never played piano but am doing research for a gift for my wife. I think just about anything I get will make her happy but want to get the best piano I can for various reasons. In doing research and visiting stores it seems that I can get the low-end Clavinova (CLP-320) for $1400-$1500. This is comparable in price to the YDP223 which seems to be the high end of the YDP line. They both seem to sound great but can someone tell me about the action?

There is confusion because Yamaha uses imprecise terms in it's marketing. They however do not use imprecise terms in theeir spare parts database. Look there for exact answers

If you really want to know what parts are inside. Look at the exploded parts diagrams on Yamaha's service web site. As an example you can see that the CLP220 uses the "ABB K8 CLP150" keyboard. The Yamaha P155 uses the "K8 CLP155" keys. The P155 is newer then the clavinova, so it gets the latest keys. But in marking speak they call both simply "GH"

On the parts site the key actions on the ydp223 and the p140 appear to be the same "K6" type

I think "GH" and "GHE" are generic terms that describe several different part numbers made over the years.

If you search around here you might be able to figure it out by noting which parts interchange between products
https://www.yamaha24x7.com/yamahaOMS/

Be sure and look at other brands too. I liked Roland's high-end key action but my budget didn't.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission