2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
Hi everyone. I am new to both these forums and to the wonderful instrument piano. I'm a beginner so I bought the Casio CDP-120 because I got it for $250 USD at guitar center on black Friday. I was super excited about this deal even tho its probably a sub par instrument. To get to the point their are a few keys on the keyboard that seem to be very slightly elevated from the other keys. When I say slightly i mean really slightly. I only noticed it because im such a perfectionist about my stuff that I see things like this. My questions are

1) is this normal?
2) does it have any effect on anything what so ever.
3) is this a common thing to find

Like I said total beginner here so I have no idea what minor flaws are within the realm of normalcy and don't effect anything.

a few questions as a side note.

Is this a decent digital piano at all? I'm a beginner to piano but not to music at all or playing it (I play guitar and violin). I have always loved the beauty a piano can produce and I would love to know I will be able to produce it with this machine.

also I know a few basic classical songs by J.S. Bach and one thing I noticed as its very "Start and stoppy" like my notes don't blend together well even though my speed seems to be correct and im not looking around for keys or anything. Is this a product of digital machines or is this my lack of fluidity with the instrument and how can I get batter at this aspect of it.

Thanks a million for your time.

Btw im am and will always be 100% self taught. I did it with my other instruments and I play very well so I don't plan on going down the road of lessons. Is their a good place for me to go to get some basic beginners understanding of how the instrument should be played.

Last edited by Kozar927; 11/23/12 09:39 PM.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
A few keys being slightly elevated isn't anything to worry about as long as the keys function and sound OK. The CDP-120 is the cheapest digital piano you can buy. Considering the price point it is reasonably good. You can connect it to a computer and use it as a midi controller to play software instruments which a lot of people do. These are much better than the onboard sounds on nearly all digital pianos. If you are bothered by the keys that are slightly elevated, take it back and exchange it. Otherwise enjoy your new piano.

K
OP Offline
K
Im not that concerned as its barley noticeable as long as it isn't a sign of something wrong with the instrument. I don't plan on playing it through a pc. Just wanna use it as a piano

Last edited by Kozar927; 11/23/12 09:50 PM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
It's a budget entry level board that is good value. It's OK for a beginner to work with. As long as all keys work fine, no extraneous clicks, soft through loud it should be OK. Take a look over on the ABF to see how other self learners are learning.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I have the 200R, which is the same but wih more bells and whistles.

Its an OK DP.

You have to remember it is the person playing it not the machine which is the important part. The guy in the shop I bought it from make it sing sweetly. I can make it sing sweetly up to a point. I think it will take me quite some time to hit its limitations.

So be happy with it, practice and enjoy!

M
M
As others have said, as long as it doesn't produce strange clicks or unusual mechanical noises, the piano should be perfectly ok. As far as I know, it isn't a typical prediction of any failure, but if those keys really bother you I would exchange it. You got a great price, now enjoy your new instrument!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I have one spot on my 350 all the way at the end that is raised a little- I did return one that already had uneven spacing. Since everything else is great I am going to stick with it. I have come to the realization, and from feedback of others that many of these pianos might not be 100% perfect,

Can you post any pictures of the piano?
I did try it out and was impressed by the price. (I ended up getting a PX130 instead months ago) You should be proud of your purchase, especially at $250. Enjoy it, it is a nice sounding unit.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission