2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (akse0435, amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
OP Offline
Y
TLDR: Roland FP-7F for 1200, Arius S31 for 600, P120 for 500. Looking to spend 500-2000 but lower is better.

Hi everyone! I just moved across the country and had to leave my Yamaha YPG 635 at home frown I thought not having it wouldn't be a big deal, but I am really missing playing (not to mention now I waste waaay too much time watching movies and shows).

So I've been scouring some local classifieds and have a few options. There are the Roland FP-7F for 1200, Arius S31 for 600, and the P120 for 500. These span different generations and price ranges, so I'm actually having trouble finding comparisons online.

I have to say that I would give my Yamaha 635 a 3/5. It annoys me that when I play many notes at the same time or very fast, it has a "digital" sound to it. The action is also not truly realistic, it is light (I grew up playing an upright). At the end of the day, it is "worth" the 750ish I paid for it new. I just play for fun, so if it doesn't sound perfect, it isn't a big deal. Also, I only play classical music/grand piano sound. Though, playing toccata in d minor with "church organ" is fun just to mess around once in a while.

Okay so! The S31 and P120 are similar in price, but I believe the P120 is super old. Am I better off just getting the S31 (seems like it is < 2yrs old)? If I got the P120, would I need to "fix the keys" potentially due to the action changing over time? Should I just splurge and get the Roland (1200 seems like an okay but not great price?)? I'd rather not spend a lot unless there is a significant and "justified" improvement. My 635 I think only had one sampling layer which also didn't sound the greatest.. Aahhhh, so many choices!

Thanks for any tips (or if you have one for sale, let me know) smile

C
C
When comparing similar price range / characteristics DP's, deciding which one is the best is a matter of taste or needs. This case is different. Here the best one out of the three you mention is obviously the Roland FP7-F, no brainer. It has the best sound generator, the most up to date action.

I understand high end DP's are expensive, I know we are living a crisis, many people doesn't want to risk to pay a lot fearing to quit piano some day if they don't like to practice, etc, etc. But don't think it's a good deal buying the cheapest option if that piano was intended to be my only practice instrument.

If it was necessary waiting a little more time for saving money, I would do it unless it was really impossible to sum that money. If you can afford, as you said, up to 2000 and that FP-7F is in a perfect condition and almost unplayed (I wouldn't accept less than that for a second hand DP) and I only could chose one of those three, I would go for it, 1200 is not a bad price. Arius is entry level DP with quite outdated technology that sells a lot only because of the prestige of Yamaha, and P 120 is just obsolete.

But I would take a look also to new DP's. Depending of what do you want (cabinet, portable...) there are lots of nice options under $2000.

Y
OP Offline
Y
Carlo, thank you for your reply. I think it's what I needed to be told but was ignoring. Everything you said was right.

I will be using this for many many years and I should buy what I can afford. After all, this hobby is important to me and I know with 100% certainty that I will not quit. I also hate "used" things because I am so careful with my own stuff, and I can't be sure that what I find on craigslist is in good condition.

I will be looking at the various "sub 2k" threads on here. I don't have a pref in terms of cabinet or portable, it will always be used at home. I don't care about usb/midi or extra voices. Extra features like the instrument "playing the orchestral accompaniment of Elvira Madigan while I played the piano part" was pretty cool on my YPG635 but it couldn't handle all the sounds and was more of a novelty on that particular instrument.

Doing more research, I found out that I definitely want a multi (3+) layered sound system with good action (GHE). I will be looking at a new P155 at the ~1k ish end (although reading that the P155 is due for a refresh makes me pause https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...an%20updated%20model%20.html#Post1992696 ), and the FP-7F at the ~1800 end, though I suspect it has more features that I will ever use.

Okay, thank you smile

Last edited by young24601; 11/30/12 03:39 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission