2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 12 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
OP Offline
T
Hello everybody!
I am an italian pianist who is working as engineer for a long period in Germany.
4 months ago, looking for the best digital piano, I tried many of them and at the end I bought a new Kaway CA95 of which I am still quite safisfied.
But... the action is not really convincing for me: I like the sound, the colors that I am able to create... of course it is neither my Yamaha Silent nor my C7, but for my current need to train my fingers it works!

My question: could I find in Yamaha NU1 a significantly better action (which for me is really the most important thing, sometime I am also used to play it without hearing anything, just to "feel my fingers") and at least a comparable sound (I really do not care about other options the Kaway may have)?
Unfortunately I still did not have the opportunity to try it, but I am very interested in maybe changing my Kaway.

Thank you for any advice and above any experienced comparison you could provide!

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I think only you can answer this.

I have an NU1. I like the key action, but it is not as smooth and quiet as the CA93 ( I have not tried the 95) action. Compared to most DP actions it is quite 'clunky' but provides good tactile feedback. It is of course based on an upright action, so if you are used to a Grand Piano it may not meet your expectations. My view is that pianists will like or warm to it, but DP enthusiasts might not.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 02/21/13 04:41 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I tried the NU1 action briefly and was not overwhelmed in comparison with the best DP actions. I guess only N1 and up (did not try them yet) would mean a subtantial step up in the quality of the action.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
S
S
can some one make a comment on the piano sounds of each and which one most accurately replicates a acoustic piano as far as the sound is concerned?

thanks!

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What's a "Kaway"?

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by maurus
I guess only N1 and up (did not try them yet) would mean a subtantial step up in the quality of the action.

There are varying opinions on that. Some people in the forum prefer the NU1. I haven't been able to try the NU1 yet so I can't weigh in unfortunately.

H
H
Originally Posted by sonycrr
can some one make a comment on the piano sounds of each and which one most accurately replicates a acoustic piano as far as the sound is concerned?

thanks!

I don't know about anything about NU1 but yesterday evening I A/B compared CA95 internal sound and Pianoteq (with headphones) and after some getting used to, I found the Pinoteq more natural/beleivable/enjoyable. Just to give you na idea, in case you are familiar with Pianoteq. I will try this more times (and also witth loudspeakers) though because I found that my preferences vary with time and state of mind.

T
OP Offline
T
Thank you for your kind advices.

I liked so much its woodden keys but the CA95 action continues to seem to me a bit "fake", not real piano, and that is my major issue...
Of course I have to try the NU1 ... but for sure if I do not see evident advantages compared to my CA95 keyboard I will not spend so much money for the change (considering also that NU1 is heavier and more similar to my Yamaha Silent upright I have in Italy).

But considering that I am used to play for year on my Silent upright and I find it perfect for my needs (I also made the keys heavier adding some weight, just for practising and enforcing my fingers... now it is a perfect instrument for trining) ... I thought the NU1 could replicate this personal success smile

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Vid
What's a "Kaway"?

ehm, sorry, Kawai... I am just a "Yamaha fan" wink

Last edited by titowsky; 02/22/13 05:25 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
titowsky, I'm afraid you're going to have to play the pianos in question yourself.

Having said that, I own the N3 and recently played the NU1. I'm giving very serious thought of buying the NU1 and placing that next to my N3. I found the NU1 to be slightly more difficult to play (than the N3) which I found attractive.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
S
S
Originally Posted by Hookxs

thanks!

I don't know about anything about NU1 but yesterday evening I A/B compared CA95 internal sound and Pianoteq (with headphones) and after some getting used to, I found the Pinoteq more natural/beleivable/enjoyable. Just to give you na idea, in case you are familiar with Pianoteq. I will try this more times (and also witth loudspeakers) though because I found that my preferences vary with time and state of mind.

thanks!

i never heard of Pinoteq..ill look into it.

S
S
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
titowsky, I'm afraid you're going to have to play the pianos in question yourself.

Having said that, I own the N3 and recently played the NU1. I'm giving very serious thought of buying the NU1 and placing that next to my N3. I found the NU1 to be slightly more difficult to play (than the N3) which I found attractive.

do you like the sound from the nu1 or the n3 better?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

do you like the sound from the nu1 or the n3 better?

I practice 99 percent of the time with headphones ... and with headphones they are identical.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

I practice 99 percent of the time with headphones ... and with headphones they are identical.

Oh!? Even though they are supposedly sampled fom different pianos? Maybe your point is different.

My only complaint about the NU1 sound is the bass could be richer, less grumbling. Sorry about using English adjectives here, but I'm not sure how else to describe it. Lowest D I can hear the strings through the tone. Maybe it's not the strings but it's not pleasant. I added a sub and that helped, but usually I don't bother.

T
T
Hi titowsky

I went through a similar process a few months ago. I was deciding between the NU1, N1, and CA95, and I spent a while comparing them.

My verdict: I didn't like the CA95's keyboard action. I found the keys too slow to rebound, which caused an issue for fast note repetition. I loved its sounds though (especially the Deep Purple style organ ).

I tried the N1 and NU1 side by side, but I couldn't detect that much difference between both piano's actions - which I found surprising, but there you are.

I went for the Yamaha NU1 in the end. The keyboard action is the genuine article, It's a much nicer form factor than the N1, quite a lot cheaper, and it has a nice bright sound. My only complaint sound-wise, echoes what someone else has said in this thread. When sitting at the piano, the bass tones are not as prominent as one might wish. This isn't the case when standing a few paces away though, so I imagine the shape of the piano is blocking the sound in the player's direction somehow.

Best of luck

Matt

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I felt the same way the last time I was trying the NU1 in comparison to the N1 and N2. I prefer the real actions of the Yamaha hybrids over the CA93 but its a bit difficult to compare when the instruments are not next to each other (in time and space). I don't see how you could beat a real action over a simulated one but that said the Kawai CA does have the best action I've experienced for a straight up DP.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Emeli Sande, sang at the opening ceremony of the Olympics, just won a Grammy, endorses the NU1. (I know as a Yamaha artist this is just advertising, but ...)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"When sitting at the piano, the bass tones are not as prominent as one might wish. This isn't the case when standing a few paces away though, . . "

I think it`s important to remember NO piano sounds the same when you play it as when you listen to it being played even a few yards away. Have you heard a pipe organ played up close, and then gone to the back of the church? It`s totally different,

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

Oh!? Even though they are supposedly sampled fom different pianos? Maybe your point is different.

My only complaint about the NU1 sound is the bass could be richer, less grumbling. Sorry about using English adjectives here, but I'm not sure how else to describe it. Lowest D I can hear the strings through the tone. Maybe it's not the strings but it's not pleasant. I added a sub and that helped, but usually I don't bother.

I didn't do an A\B test.

I just now looked at Yamaha's site and both pianos use the sample set based on different models though both are what I would consider top end nine foot concert grands.

I think anyone would be happy with the sound through headphones ... and most folks would find the speaker systems on both just fine as well.

I should add that I was very happy with the sound of my old GranTouch hybrid that I bought 14 years ago (and traded in three years ago towards my N3).

T
T
Originally Posted by peterws
I think it`s important to remember NO piano sounds the same when you play it as when you listen to it being played even a few yards away. Have you heard a pipe organ played up close, and then gone to the back of the church? It`s totally different,

You're quite right of course. It's not really a problem anyway, more of an observation really.

Now what I DO wish is that they'd put some more / better non-piano sounds on the NU1. I know it's billed as a serious players piano replacement, and all that - but it wouldn't have killed Yamaha to have stuck a couple of cool organs on there (like the blues organ on the CA95). :-)

Matt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission