2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
lang15 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I live in NYC, and I've usually gone to guitar center to try out digital pianos. I thought they had a decent selection, but not anymore. I went to the Sam Ash center today on 34th street. I was amazed at how many they had, probably 50 digital pianos and other 20-30 regular keyboards. Yamaha, Kawai, Roland, Kurzweil, Casio, Nord, Korg...

I recently purchased a Yamaha P155. I'm happy with it, but now that I have some playing time, I wanted to compare some other models. I was interested on comparing action and piano sounds.

Well I must say I think every DP I tried seemed to have 'lighter' action then my P155. I had read it was on the heavier side, but to me all of a sudden it felt huge when playing some of the other models. I guess this is good because I've been building good finger strength, and I really do like the solid feel, but comparing it now to other DPs, I think it's a little overdone.

There was good pianist rocking away on a DP and it sounded great. I went to look and it was the Casio PX-150. I was amazed he was making one of the cheaper DPs sound so good. It took me back a little. I did find the action on the Casio models to be a little wobbly.

I tried the P255. I liked it had more piano sounds and a built in EQ, but I didn't think it was much better overall then the P155. The display was nicer too. The ability to record Wav files was nice, but I enjoy recording MIDI from my P155 as I find it's more versatile and I can change the sounds or fix small mistakes.

The Roland's I tried sounded really good, but I felt the keys were a little plasticky and light. The FP-80 sounded and felt pretty good.

I tried a few Kawai models, I liked that they had a nice selection of them. They didn't have the ES100 unfortunately and I really wanted to try that model. They definitely have unique action. (All the brand seemed to have their own different actions). My first reaction when playing the MP6 and MP10 was that they felt springy, but as I played them more they grew on me. All the features on them and the Nords were a little overwhelming at first and took me a few minutes to figure out how to just get the basic piano sound.

I could definitely feel and hear the difference in the higher end models. It was nice to compare now that I've gotten a good feel for my P155. I still like my DP very much, but if I ever upgrade years down the line, I might go with a different brand. I felt the piano sounds on the Yamaha's were less piano like then other brands. It definitely has it's own unique signature.

I was a little disappointed with some of the console Yamaha's I played. I thought they would be nice but the action felt cheaper. I think they were GHS models on the YDP line.

I've only been playing a short while so my experience overall is limited, but these were my impressions today. I was going to stop by B&H Photo across the street but the were closed for religious observation. I'd like to go back as I get even better and compare again to see if my thinking has changed as I improve technically. I also haven't played on a real acoustic since I was 12, so I completely forgot what that was like. I was thinking of stopping by a real piano store, but thought I was just get evil looks and asked to leave as soon as I started playing hah.

This pic only shows a small section of the room, I didn't want to get any people in the shot. There's a wall of digital pianos to the left and right, and a bunch behind me. I was in heaven for a short while today. smile

[Linked Image]

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Wow, great store - good find!

Originally Posted by lang15
The display was nicer too.

I thought the P255's display was the same as the P155?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
L
lang15 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Wow, great store - good find!

Originally Posted by lang15
The display was nicer too.

I thought the P255's display was the same as the P155?

James
x

Ohh good catch, tried out so many.. It was the same. I do remember it saying GP1, GP2, etc which the 155 doesn't. I took notes but remembered the display (incorrectly) from memory.

Edit: I also like the look if the P155B more than the 255. It seems sleeker with the Ebony wood. I didn't care for the plastic on the 255.

Last edited by lang15; 04/17/14 09:57 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Don't think the P155 is over done at all. The others are cheaper and lighter to meet a price. You should compare a DP action to a real piano and anything lighter than a P155 will also be lighter than a 6 or 7 foot grand piano, and you don't want that if you can help it. Obviously if you cannot afford the GH action then it's a moot point. Get what you can afford. Since you already have the P155, you're going down the wrong path thinking it's over done.

My guess is the GHS action was created solely because of price. There is no ergonomic or articulate benefit in having it over GH. I am pretty sure if Yamaha could hit the $500 price point with the GH action, they would eliminate the GHS action completely. It actually cost more to maintain a larger inventory of parts.

I'm also convinced there are more than one kind of each class of actions all based on price. The P255 has GH with Ivorite and the P155 has plan GH. The GHS on the P35 feels lighter and cheaper than the GHS on the P105, etc.

"It was nice to compare now that I've gotten a good feel for my P155. I still like my DP very much, but if I ever upgrade years down the line, . . . "

Think "months" . . . .the writing`s on the wall. You just whetted that curiosity and it has GRABBED YOU!!

I`m the opposite. Went into our piano shop, tried `em all out, liked none of `em except the updated version of my own. Bought it, then heard someone making fantastic sound out of an FP7F (which had disappointed me greatly) on Adult Beginners . . . You can be so deceived in these places!

I think they`re all darned good these days. It`s in the setting up, I`m sure. And you need time to do that which you haven`t got in the shop.

Last edited by peterws; 04/18/14 01:48 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
And your next step will be to experiment with "virtual" (computer-based) pianos -- both sampled, and simulated (e.g. Pianoteq).<g>

When all is said and done, the P155 has a pretty decent keyboard action, and sounds competitive against anything in its price class. Don't be in a hurry to ditch it.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
L
lang15 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by peterws

Think "months" . . . .the writing`s on the wall. You just whetted that curiosity and it has GRABBED YOU!!

Haha, well I'm definitely becoming a DP junkie. I won't have the money to upgrade until maybe next year's tax refund. But I am really happy with my P155, I don't think I would upgrade unless I get a lot better or I win the lottery, which in that case I would probably have 10 DPs and a M&H vintage grand.. I have Vintage D, but I usually play with just the internal sounds (but external speakers). I find it very pleasant.

I also really, really like the way it looks. I might be going out on a limb, but I think it's the best looking slab DP I've seen (the 155B ebony version - I'm not crazy about the mahogany or silver one). It's smooth, sleek, nice contrast between the keys and the rest of the black facade. The wood gives it a nice texture that doesn't yell 'cheap plastic'. With the matching stand it looks terrific.

They are a most respected piano, tried and tested over many years. When you do come to sell, you`ll get a decent price for it. Unlike the more expensive stuff.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission