2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
So I don't really see much else that meets my preferences than the Roland SP-50, light, modest in bulk, good speakers (I hope), a reasonably good acoustic/nylon guitar sound, a variety of accompaniments, audio in, a display, lots of other sounds (for fun and preventing me from tiring of playing the same tune over and over again.

But just to be sure there isn't something else out there I am over looking, especially since I have not even heard or played the SP-50 yet, I am revisiting other possibilities.

So, is the action of the Kurzweil SPS4-8 any good?

I find the manual is pretty bad. It has the SP4-7 size and weight measurements, and the info on setting the pedal functions is pretty unintelligible compared to the SP-50. I am wondering what else it does that I am not able to figure out from the manual.

Is there possibly a record function that allows you to replay and maybe play over the recorded performance to make a more complicated piece of music? Or would you need another piece of equipment to record the MIDI out and feed it back in or thru to make a more complex musical piece?

Thanks, Cynthia

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano yet but getting there.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I don't think the SPS4-8 includes any "add-ons" such as recording facilities etc. It weighs substantially more than the SP4-7 as it includes speakers and a graded hammer-weighted action of 88 keys, as opposed to no speakers and a light-weighted action of 76 keys. The weights are approximately 41 lbs vs 24 lbs.

I have no experience of the SPS4-8's LK40GH action, but some reports have suggested it is not comparable with the leading actions that are in competing boards. The SP4-7's action is a compromise between what you might need for piano and what's preferable for organ/synth. Some (including me) have experienced a "sticky" action in the SP4-7. It doesn't affect all boards, but it presents as an initial resistance that has to be overcome before the keys can be depressed. It tends to ease with playing and return after a period of non-use.

Kurzweil excels at orchestral sounds. The pianos in these boards were, at one time, class leading; now, they have been somewhat left behind by the competition. That doesn't mean they're bad (they can sound quite good), but just not cutting-edge, if that matters. The EPs are still able to hold their own, and some of the organs are quite authentic.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by voxpops
I have no experience of the SPS4-8's LK40GH action, but some reports have suggested it is not comparable with the leading actions that are in competing boards.

It doesn't have a top of the line action, but then, neither does the FP-50. It sells for $1199, so it's not priced with top-action boards. In this lower price range, in boards with speakers, some people may prefer Yamaha's GH action (P255) or the current Casio action (PX150/350), but then those boards will lack some of what the Kurzweil offers in quality/variety of sounds or split/layer versatility, whatever... it's always something!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission