2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2327964 09/16/14 06:16 AM
OP Offline
Majorly bummed, here to vent. VPC1 was back-ordered another month, so I cancelled the order.

Are they actually making these things? I was sooo looking forward to my new piano.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
EmptySpace, sorry to hear that.

May I ask how long you had been waiting, and where you ordered from?

I gather that the VPC1 is on a short-term backorder, but that this situation should be improved with next month's shipment.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
About 9 months ago I wanted to buy a VPC-1 so went back to the dealer who had given me a great discount on a Yamaha Tyros 5/76. I asked for a discount on the VPC-1 but was told that because Kawai classify the VPC-1 as part of their professional range he could not offer me a discount as Kawai's "professional range" pricing to dealers meant less profit margin to play with.

Therefore I held off and play Pianoteq through the Tyros frown or play my upright acoustic.

Now I see that all of the on-line dealers are offering discount on VPC-1 with some offering special discounts on display models. Another discounting dealer is saying "last one".

Seems to me that something is afoot with the VPC product and I don't think its because folk are buying MP-11 (for Real Feel) as its $1000 more expensive.

Ian

Last edited by Beemer; 09/16/14 07:10 AM.

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Originally Posted by Beemer
About 9 months ago I wanted to buy a VPC-1 so went back to the dealer who had given me a great discount on a Yamaha Tyros 5/76. I asked for a discount on the VPC-1 but was told that because Kawai classify the VPC-1 as part of their professional range he could not offer me a discount as Kawai's "professional range" pricing to dealers meant less profit margin to play with.

Please note that the "professional" designation is applied by Kawai America, which has a slightly different distribution model to that of Kawai subsidiaries elsewhere in the world. These instruments are typically sold through the larger musical instrument chains and online retailers, who can offer more competitive deals (often through 'bundles') than Kawai's network of independent (acoustic) piano dealers. So while it's true that the VPC1 is part of Kawai America's "professional" range, this should not have any bearing on a Scottish dealer's ability to offer discounts.

It's also perhaps worth noting that some instruments (such as the expensive Tyros) allow dealers to offer larger discounts than more competitively priced products such as the VPC1. Demand is also a factor.

Therefore I held off and play Pianoteq through the Tyros frown

As I expect you are aware, the organ-style action of the Tyros is not terribly well suited to piano playing.

Now I see that all of the on-line dealers are offering discount on VPC-1 with some offering special discounts on display models.

Well, we are talking 9 months later...however, to the best of my knowledge, the VPC1 price (in Europe and the US) has remained largely unchanged since the product launched 18 or so months ago. Which online stores/discounts are you referring to specifically? I don't believe discounting display models is anything new...

Another discounting dealer is saying "last one".

Most likely their last VPC1 unit available before new stock arrives.

Seems to me that something is afoot with the VPC product and I don't think its because folk are buying MP-11 (for Real Feel) as its $1000 more expensive.

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as anyone else on PW, however there is nothing 'afoot' with the VPC1. In EmptySpace's case, there is a backlog of VPC1 orders in the US, and in your case, the dealer told you 9 months ago that he/she couldn't offer a discount on an already competitively priced product.

Kind regards,
James
x

In my opinion, for my needs, the VPC 1 was well worth waiting for.

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
James,
The dealers I referred to are in England and Germany. They all stock the full brand range of keyboards including top of the range.

Again around nine months ago - asked several UK dealers if they would sell me a display model VPC-1 with some discount but I was told that they would have to contact Kawai for permission. Perhaps Kawai free issue display models?

My desire to get a discount then was only because I had just spent 4000 UK pounds on Yamaha equipment.

I'm still intending to buy a VPC-x

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Does VPC1 support continous padal action? I saw only "half" in the spec.

Roland HP508 | RD-800 | CM-110 | UA-55 | RH-A30 | RH-A7
PianoTeq 5 | Kontakt Player
Yamaha HS7/HS8S
S
S
Originally Posted by EmptySpace
Majorly bummed, here to vent. VPC1 was back-ordered another month, so I cancelled the order.

Are they actually making these things? I was sooo looking forward to my new piano.

Same situation here (sans the cancellation, so far), and I too was considering posting about it to see if anything was up. I ordered a VPC-1 early this month (Labor Day weekend) with the expectation that the retailer would get stock on the 17th (that is to say: tomorrow). Last week, expected shipment was delayed by another week--until the 25th. Then, yesterday, I find out that the order was delayed another month--until late October. I guess I'm stuck waiting, because barring a VPC2 announcement (or a serious top-action PHA4 controller from Roland), the VPC1 is still the instrument I want.

Originally Posted by Banzai_Ed

Yes, it should: I've experienced the F-30 triple pedal unit included with both the VPC1 and the MP11 on my former MP11, and the right pedal (sustain) response was apparently fully continuous judging by the observed MIDI values. The left pedal and middle pedals (una corda/sostenuto) are binary on/off. I presume it is exactly the same with the VPC1.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Again around nine months ago - asked several UK dealers if they would sell me a display model VPC-1 with some discount but I was told that they would have to contact Kawai for permission. Perhaps Kawai free issue display models?

It's not unknown for a manufacturer to forbid their authorised dealers to sell display/floor models. So it would make sense that a retailer might have to refer that matter back to the manufacturer/importer.

It's a little difficult for me to comment as I do not work for Kawai UK. However, I recall that 9 months ago there was still a major VPC1 back-order issue (due to unexpected demand), with a long waiting list for new orders. Given these circumstances, I can understand why dealers would be reluctant to sell their VPC1 display model (let alone at a discount...) if they were unable to receive a replacement from Kawai UK for a couple of months.

Cheers,
James
x

Originally Posted by Starboard
I ordered a VPC-1 early this month (Labor Day weekend) with the expectation that the retailer would get stock on the 17th (that is to say: tomorrow). Last week, expected shipment was delayed by another week--until the 25th. Then, yesterday, I find out that the order was delayed another month--until late October.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about these delays. It's frustrating for everyone - the manufacturer, the distributor, the dealer, and of course the customer. However, I'm hopeful that you will receive your VPC1 with the next batch of instruments.

Originally Posted by Starboard
Originally Posted by Banzai_Ed

Yes, it should: I've experienced the F-30 triple pedal unit included with both the VPC1 and the MP11 on my former MP11, and the right pedal (sustain) response was apparently fully continuous judging by the observed MIDI values. The left pedal and middle pedals (una corda/sostenuto) are binary on/off. I presume it is exactly the same with the VPC1.

Yes, you're correct.

Kind regards,
James
x

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
People.... I wouldn't worry too much. These online retailers have huge orders in. The distributor will cater to those.
What's put off for a month might very well show up in a couple days.
They don't really know for sure.
They're selling like hot cakes.
They're going crazy trying to keep up with demand.

me.... I got my VPC... and I won't sell it.... it's all mine....you'll have to get your own. smile (was that childish enough?)
EDIT: and yes, Ingrid talks to me everyday saying: "play me again, Sam."

Last edited by rnaple; 09/18/14 05:15 AM. Reason: More ranting of an old fool.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
OP Offline
Ok, so by way of an update, I reinstated the order based on reassurances from the manufacturer and the supplier. I still have to wait until the end of October, but I feel pretty confident that it's going to arrive then.

So now I hitch up my waitin' pants. And wait.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
When I bought my first electric piano (yes, that's what I called it then and still do now) it was a Roland RD300s. I could not try one, there were never any available for demonstration, they sold out too quickly. I ordered it in mid January 1990, £50 deposit and, "wait until we 'phone you" basis. I had bought an Epiphone semi-acoustic guitar in 1971. Ordered in Feb it didn't arrive until June, so I was thinking sometime in May for the piano, with luck. Imagine my delight when they 'phoned me in late March to tell me it was in.... Imagine my disappointment driving 20 miles to collect the damned thing to find out Wednesday was their early closing day! Sometimes you just have to handle what you perceive as adversity.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission