2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
Hi!

First off a little introduction to my life, as it will probably help in making decisions on what to buy.
I'm a Dutch researcher, living in Finland to work, often traveling to other countries for conferences or fieldwork, and often traveling to Sweden to see my girlfriend.

As you can see, lot's of traveling with a very non-standard schedule.

However, while I know this isn't the most conductive for learning an instrument properly, I really enjoy teaching myself things (programming, painting, bit of guitar, cooking).
So I've been reading if it's possible to learn Piano online, and came across Musiah, which seems to offer what I'm looking for. The subscription is quite cheap and after extensive reading it seems to be a good way to go (as I don't have the possibility to get a real life teacher with my schedule).

Options I found
However, I've been looking into what to buy for a first instrument. After reading lots of reviews I've found 3 instruments that are also available here:

Roland F20: A true digital piano (88 keys). This one does have weighted keys, but also costs twice the amount of the other ones. The sound is apparently really good, but the weighting is a bit off according to some reviews (595 euro's).

Korg SP170s: Cheaper, but apparently still very good sound, but many people complain about 'sticky' keys, which I'm not sure if I would notice. (439 euro's).

Hoping to get some input from you all! Thanks so much! smile

Last edited by thenickmove; 01/08/15 07:14 PM.
H
H
Hi,
About half a year ago I started with a Casio 4200. Two month ago upgraded to a Kawai ES-100. This model I liked a lot better. Have a Kawai MP-11 on order now.
My very short experience with this topic is that a better instrument gives more playing satisfaction. So if you are serious in learning to play buy the best you can afford.
Bought both Kawai models at Van Oldeniel in Deventer. The dealer helped/explained me a lot. So if you are in The Netherlands soon perhaps you can give this or another dealer a visit to check the various options.
I use Piano Marvel as practicing tool.
Regards,
Hans

L
L
I found the sound of the MP11 to be muddy, however the action I did like very much. I would'nt buy the MP11 but it can be used as a very good controller.

“To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.” ~ Chang Tzu
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by leafhound
I found the sound of the MP11 to be muddy, however the action I did like very much. I would'nt buy the MP11 but it can be used as a very good controller.
To each his own, but did you play at all with the settings? There's a lot you can do to customize the sound.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission